View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #85
Jonathan

Wow, what a thread.

The world is inherently unsafe. There are some things you can do to mitigate some of that, but there is no way to completely prevent awful things from happening.

Searches before going into the movies isn't the answer. You have to go through that and more before getting on to an airplane, and all kinds of things end up getting through that shouldn't. I occasionally have to fly. I never have to watch a movie, and if I have to deal with that just to sit down I'll download movies and not have to deal with noisy assholes, sticky floors, or active shooters.

Proposing some hero 2nd Amendment gunslinger in the audience could have helped is beyond absurd. Buying a gun with glow-in-the-dark sights doesn't magically turn you into Bruce Willis. If 2 or 3 people drew down and decided to try engaging a lunatic in a poorly lit crowded theatre with little mobility, there would be a horrible amount of collateral damage. Assuming random movie goers can react appropriately to an active shooter is a fucking delusional fantasy. Merely owning a gun does not make you suddenly have perfect situational awareness.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote