View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
AlexSivier

Please help me find a book/author

Hi there, I hope you lot can help me out.
I am pretty new to horror genre, I have mostly read science fiction, but recently I have been drawn to the darker side.
I want to find some good books, or authors, I can sink my teeth into, so I'd appreciate some recommendations.
However, there is a particular atmosphere I am looking for.
I work in the games industry, so please allow me to convey my desire in terms of a few games.
Basically, I want something like Demento (Haunting Ground)
It is a survival horror game with a young girl running around a creepy mansion. It is very dark, grimy and claustrophobic. It has few characters and is very self contained. Other games to mention are Silent Hill, Rule of Rose, Siren, Dead Space, Alan Wake and Fatal Frame. These games have a very oppressive atmosphere, the environment is a creepy character and there is much beauty in the madness and gore.
To sum up what I'm looking for: beautiful, creepy, disturbing, grotesque, stylish, oppressive, slow, fantastical and claustrophobic, claustrophobic, claustrophobic.
I am not particularly interested in things like vampires, werewolves or non-supernatural thrillers, but if they have fit into the above mentioned style, I'd like to take a look at it.
I hope you can get a feel for what I am asking for.
Cheers!
AlexSivier is offline   Reply With Quote