View Single Post
Old 11-16-2003, 09:53 AM   #16
ShaydWolf

OK, in a really round-about way, I think Drizzt's actual question was concerning if it is OK to be a Christian and a Goth.

I've been a "Goth" for over 18 years now, and I have been a Christian for 5 years. I did not see any reason to change my life style, my music, or my way of dress for any reason once I became a Christian. Some of the people at my church seem to disagree with me, but that is their problem, not mine.

Being a Christian and being a Goth, and how you present these parts of yourself to the world in general, are both something that is produced by a person's life experience and their personality. Goths may call it style, or individuality, Christians call it individual soul liberty. I, myself, have not found all that much of a clash in these two aspects of myself. Other people around me disagree with me (fellow Christians may not think I am much of a Christian, but then they are "judging" which is in itself a sin) and fellow Goths sometimes make fun of me for being a Christian (but I can usually talk circles around them about their own beliefs, because I have studied everything from Buddhism to Wicca) and I understand that everyone has their own beliefs and it is their right to have them. If everyone was exactly the same, this world would be excruciatingly boring.

You have to decide for yourself who you are and what you believe in. What other people are and think of themselves is totally unrelated to you. You can gain insight or get ideas from others, but I think in both instances (being a Christian as well as being a Goth) it is completely up to you to find a balance within yourself, to find out who you are and what you are ultimately comfortable with. You need to express yourself as an individual as well as be at peace with your conscience.
ShaydWolf is offline   Reply With Quote