Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-21-2011, 05:58 AM   #1
CptSternn

What Happened To The Thread Where We Report Bugs?

So, like the title says, what happened to the sticky thread for bug and issue reporting?

I was checking out the blog section today. There are sixteen pages of blogs for users here on Gothic.Net. Of those sixteen pages (230 blogs), pretty much all of them are spambots.

They appear to be posting real news which is copied directly from an RSS feed somewhere, but like every few sentences a word will be highlighted and link to some discount clothing website in China or India.

A new twist on spamming the site.

T
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Ben Lahnger

Yeah, I noticed that thread disappeared around the same time I noticed the increased activity of admin/mod Eeegor here. I'm speculating, but I suspect the thread had devolved to such a state of criticism and admin baiting that they just decided to do away with it.

You'll have to use the other methods of communicating with them that are available here: reporting from the individual posts or using the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

I've been missing that thread. Despite it's fall into largely rampant, trollish behavior, it was still pretty useful.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
CptSternn

It was.

The number of spambots that hit this site in a week is amazing. A simple CAPTCHA on the registration page would fix the problem, but for some reason the admins have yet to implement this.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Ben Lahnger

The conversation about why they aren't fought more aggressively has been going on for years. I've seen many ideas like that suggested and debated/discredited/denied here. So every time I see someone suggest something like that, or see someone speculating as to why the powers that be might not be too motivated to clear the spambots out of here, I just think WHY ASK WHY?

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 04-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
Gothic.net

The random question in the registration process was very effective for a while. It was more effective than the captcha. But I guess once the attack Gnet with spam kings figured out all our potential answers, it has been less effective for protecting the blog area. For whatever reason, that section has remained more difficult to protect. Maybe we should change the questions again.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Gothic.net

Reporting bugs threads get cleared out from time to time because there really isn't a lot of value to twenty pages of old issues that may (or may not) have been resolved to a point of satisfaction. That and the random trolling in a thread that was supposed to be helpful.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Ben Lahnger

Thanks for the response. Yes, I think changing the questions might be helpful.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,