Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum




Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #26
Elystan
 
Elystan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 346
Thanks for the reply. I have questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Actually it isn't so much the fact that they lack remorse or emotions that makes them a psychopath, it is the urge to act in a way that they know society has deemed immoral, if they were just lacking in emotions and remorse then they would be a sociopath.
I guess this must be a pretty fluid boundary owing to the variety in societies and their moral standards. It's the grey area that I feel most at home in. I don't like the idea of violence, not least because it's a stupid thing to do even from a self-serving perspective. But I think I do (entirely legally) hurt peoples feelings a fair amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Yeah it is abnormal but most people find it really surprising what a large percentage of people are sociopaths (not that this makes you a sociopath) so not feeling any remorse is fairly common.
Yup. I've now moved on to the second feature of discovering a disorder on the internet by wondering if other people have it. With something like this, it would be very difficult to know how prevalent it might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
That means that you don't have a normal emotional response, which in and of itself is not indicative of any particular syndrome/disease/condition/disorder/whatever.
But AM I CAPABLE OF LOVE? Ah, woe. And what is love? Baby don't hurt me.

No but serious, thanks for the input. I know very little about the state of modern psychology, so any clearing up of misconceptions is appreciated. I don't think I qualify for antisocial personality disorder. I tend to err on the side of righteousness most of the time, because safe is better than sorry. I can identify times when I have slipped up, which is probably unavoidable for any but the downright saintly, but I've never.. felt myself to be an unworthy person because of it? For example, I did think I had fucked up in getting kicked out of school, but that was more the getting caught.

This is all very confusing.
Elystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #27
Solumina
 
Solumina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cali
Posts: 8,066
One thing that I think is helpful for people to remember is that a large number of psychological disorders are essentially extreme versions of pretty normal stuff, which is why self diagnosing is both exceedingly prevalent and pretty silly (although if you are seriously concerned that something is wrong it is absolutely okay to go to a therapist and say "I think I have ____" and they will use that as a starting point, just actually go to a psychologist or other specialist in the field and not a GP as it really is outside their scope of practice). For example: just about everyone who reads the criteria for OCD think that they have it because most of the behaviors are extremely common, like constantly worrying if you remembered to lock the door, having a certain way of doing things, or whatever and they don't have a good way to gauge whether or not their own habits are beyond the normal range because they only have their own experiences to go on, a psychologist does have the knowledge base to determine if something really is cause for concern.

Also remember that not all psychological disorders are something to worry about, many of them just mean that you do not operate like a normal person but that doesn't mean that the way you function is wrong, bad, or inferior.
__________________
Live a life less ordinary
Live a life extraordinary with me
Live a life less sedentary
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #28
MissCheyenne
 
MissCheyenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: A ship called Dignity
Posts: 1,921
The thing I find so hard to swallow is that people diagnose themselves on the internet and then expect me to take them seriously when they tell me the internet told them they have bipolar or BPD or something of the like. I spent over ten years in and out of the mental health service before I could get a proper diagnosis. I was hospitalised several times before someone took me seriously so I find it pretty annoying that just because someone can look it up and say 'oh, I do that' that they just assume they must have the condition.
__________________


I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #29
Elystan
 
Elystan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Also remember that not all psychological disorders are something to worry about, many of them just mean that you do not operate like a normal person but that doesn't mean that the way you function is wrong, bad, or inferior.
Yeah. Something like this:

"Empathy allows us to experience the grandeur of life, to be truly alive, and is one of the defining characteristics of what makes us human.
Psychopaths have no empathy and as a result, they are neither truly human, nor truly alive."

reeks of bullshit, and I could make a few comments on the probable motivation behind such a statement, but quite disconcerting when you're having a "wait a fucking second, do I have empathy?" moment.

Also, like you say, how can you ever know how your experience differs from the norm, beside some guesswork? When you question your own ability to feel a certain way, there is never a control subject. Like colorblindness, you'd have to be told that there was something there that you had no experience of, but emotional reactions aren't as easy to spot as colours.

I won't take this up with a psychologist though, partly because I think you need to have a GP refer you to one, but mostly because I don't see the purpose. My life could in the long term be vastly improved if I were not so quick to shirk all responsibilities, but I'm quite content. I seek understanding, but am skeptical of the way I've seen the health service deal with mental illness in others, and if I came to them with this in particular I could only see it making my life more difficult.

Anybody here ever read Schopenhauers On The Basis of Morality? Because I really want to discuss it.
Elystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #30
Hydrodyssodia
 
Hydrodyssodia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elystan View Post
But AM I CAPABLE OF LOVE? Ah, woe. And what is love? Baby don't hurt me.
This is a good post.
Hydrodyssodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:03 PM.