Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:40 AM   #1
Wednesday Friday Addams

Diablo 3!!!

After giving away hints Blizzard has just unveiled that they are in the process of making Diablo 3!

http://us.media.blizzard.com/232309/...-US/splash.swf

Who thinks this is Awesome?
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:04 AM   #2
Mir

I haven't played a game in ages but this is one game I will definitely have a look at! I loved Diablo 2: Lord of destruction.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:56 AM   #3
Wednesday Friday Addams

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/index.xml

Theres the main page with video's looks like its shaping up quite well.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
Solumina

Finally a solid statement. I'm really excited, I was a major D2 fanatic back in high school as well as a Diablo fan when it first came out, and I can't wait to see what they come out with
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
Mir

I just hope that the sytem requirements are not too high. Although, from the graphics, I think they probably will.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
Solumina

Meh I doubt that the requirements will be all that high, then again my laptop is kind of made for gaming so maybe I'm not a good judge of what constitutes high requirements. I'm just hoping that they stick with how Diablo has been and don't try and make it more like WoW
-Carbon Leaf
Old 06-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
Wednesday Friday Addams

Blizzard said in the QA the aim to make their games playable by as many people as possible...while keeping quality of course.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:23 PM   #8
Anonymoose

Omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg!!
Anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:28 PM   #9
Anonymoose

Okay, after considering it, the game needs more GRIT.

It's not a cartoon. It's not an oafish looking Orc in Warcraft with SMOOTH wooden shields and purple colored steel.

Diablo as always been "real". It's always been a holy quest to vanquish evil beyond the world of the living. It's dark, it's cracked, things bleed, and wail in pain.

Diablo was never a friendly environment to grind in and light heartedly level up. Diablo isn't cute, it's grim.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #10
Splintered

The graphics look pretty simple (relatively). It's the physics that will kill any computer.

It'll be interesting to see how much they make physics a part of the game. I'd really like to see them take advantage of destructible environments.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:20 AM   #11
Anonymoose

I'm concerned about the Witch Doctor. Obviously, he's the Necromancer replacement, which is a bit unsettling, even though they claim he's not a Necro replacement. It's quite obvious that he either is or they've decided to scrap the Necro.

Now, I have no problem with renaming the Necro class as Witch Doctor, but right away, I'm getting the impression that the Witch Doc doesn't have the attitude or presence of forbidden and terrible power that the Necromancer had.

When I used to play as a Necromancer, I had the feeling that you were dealing with something foreboding, powerful, and just down right unnatural. I feel the aesthetic or how the Witch Doctor is being presented to us right now, is a step down or backwards from the ever so terrifying power of commanding life and death itself and the commander of those you wished would have stayed gone and dead.

What the witchdoctor does have going for it, is the power over spirits. Not exactly a zombie type command, but the power over ghosts, even though he is also shown to command the undead a little bit. The problem is, he also has what looks like a command over simple summoned pets, which is far more lame than simply spawning a zombie to do your bidding.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:44 AM   #12
Wednesday Friday Addams

They have said the witch doctor is going to be a different role then what the necromancer was. So we may still have the priests yet.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:46 AM   #13
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymoose
Okay, after considering it, the game needs more GRIT.

It's not a cartoon. It's not an oafish looking Orc in Warcraft with SMOOTH wooden shields and purple colored steel.

Diablo as always been "real". It's always been a holy quest to vanquish evil beyond the world of the living. It's dark, it's cracked, things bleed, and wail in pain.

Diablo was never a friendly environment to grind in and light heartedly level up. Diablo isn't cute, it's grim.

Diablo 3 has gore..did you see what that boss did to the character in the video?
Old 06-29-2008, 01:08 AM   #14
Anonymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday Friday Addams
Diablo 3 has gore..did you see what that boss did to the character in the video?

Yes, I did see what that boss did. I'm not talking about the actions taken place. Obviously in the combat, it's very brutal and bloody, which is Diablo as I know and love it.

LOOK at the presentation. There was a comparison pic someone uploaded. They did a bit of tweaking to a screenshot and captured the look of Diablo in a more acceptable view. If I can find it, I'll link it. Basically, the architecture and the texturing of certain things looks a little too happy. A little too *pop*, much like WoW.

As for the witch doctor, I'll just be so bold as to say that I don't expect it can deliver like the necro did. I'm not even slightly convinced it'll be nearly as badass. He strikes me as a terribly nerfed version of the Necro with a bit of a sorc to make him seem "cool" and "original". So far I'm not impressed or convinced about the witch doc and there's no way I can see this goofy head shrinker ever being able to fill the shoes of the necro or even establishing its own respectable shoe to fill. Witch Doc, so far it's a Necro full of fail and AIDs.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:14 AM   #15
Anonymoose

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/7807/itshouldrh5.jpg

This is what I'm talking about.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:16 AM   #16
Wednesday Friday Addams

The witch doctor isn't a necromancer replacement.
As for the rest its just you speculating. You have no clue what the game will play like nor how cool the witch doctor will be.The graphics don't terribly remind me of wow..which don't matter at this time considering its not ready yet.
Games change their image dramatically over development.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:31 AM   #17
Anonymoose

I think what I am miffed about is that the witchdoc, even though not a replacement, is a fairly good indicator that the necromancer wont be a playable class.

You're right, I don't know how the witchdoc would play. But to have a "warlock" in D3 sounds kinda lame as the warlock falls quite short of a necromancer. Of course, I'm also biased.

At least there's still the barbarian.

I did find that whole locust thing to be pretty damn neat about the witchdoctor, but those puppies or whatever the shit those things were... no. Fail.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:38 AM   #18
Wednesday Friday Addams

Remeber dude this isnt the team that made WoW. this isnt a wow clone.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:46 AM   #19
Anonymoose

Yeah, that's fine. I'd just hate to see them even be influence by just a slight iota of WoW.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:58 AM   #20
Wednesday Friday Addams

If anything Diablo has influenced Wow more.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:25 AM   #21
Mir

Regarding the Necromancer vs. Doctor, I guess I'll just wait and see if I like it when I play it.

By the time this game comes out, and it may take awhile, who knows what the system requirements will be like.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:22 AM   #22
Anonymoose

I'm on the fence and going to simply assume that the Doctor can not measure up.

My reasoning for comparing the Necro to the Doc is because there was mention that Blizzard didn't want to recycle or remake any of the old characters.

Well, that may be true and all, but borrowing from old characters and mish mashing them together with yet other characters, an original character does not make. I'm getting the sneaking suspicion they took the sorc and necro and sent them through the "hugbox" of Fail Community College.

But I'll have to wait and see. RIP Necro.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:13 AM   #23
Mir

Dude, things change. Only playing it will put you in a position to decide whether the change was for the better or not.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #24
Anonymoose

Oh, I'm sure D3 is going to be an amazing game, no doubt. Blizzard hasn't failed yet on that.

I'm just not convinced about that Doctor fellow. Necro was my favorite class back in the day.

Im actually more or less, incredibly intrigued about the story though. With the 3 prime evils dead, why is there a third Diablo?
Old 06-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #25
Solumina

Because the World Stone was destroyed by Terial due to the fact that it was tainted by Baal and who knows what that has done
-Carbon Leaf