Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #26
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
Heathen. Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree are amazing.
They are. They're the only things that make me want to kill myself and someone else at precisely the same time.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #27
KontanKarite

I'll have to be generally broad starting off:

80s: Cure and Flock of Seagulls with a bit of Elton John and Celine Dion
90s: Joy Division, Metallica, HIM, New Order, Deadsy, Gackt, Blind Guardian, Orgy
2000s: The Cure, HIM, Christian Death, Joy Division, New Order, Siousxie, The Creatures, Sex Gang Children, Cinema Strange, Frank The Baptist, Crucifix, Proudflesh, The Clash, The Damned, All Gone Dead, Cruxshadows, Voltaire, Combichrist, Icon of Coil, Das Iche, Nitzer Ebb, Front 242, Skinny Puppy, Gackt, Crass, A sprinkling of punk that I can't be assed to remember right now, Mission UK, SPK, Rick Astley, Orgy

That's about it. Damn, my musical tastes are interesting.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:52 PM   #28
pixy_dust

Mine changed drastically over a short time I think:

1998: Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys
- blank years -
2004-mid 2006: Hillsong, Chris Tomlin, Casting Crowns, Delirious?, Switchfoot (all Christian rock music)

- Early 2006: U2, Coldplay, Muse, Evermore, Youth Group, Mute Math, Creed

- Late 2006-2008: The Living End, The Sex Pistols, Thousand Foot Krutch, MCR MCR MCR MCR MCR MCR MCR (you get the point), 30 Seconds to Mars, Silverchair, Thursday, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, The Used, The Ataris, Bauhaus, The Dresden Dolls, Aiden, Kill Hannah, Senses Fail, The Horrors, Bullet For My Valentine, Joy Division, Rise Against, Behind Crimson Eyes, Madina Lake, Killswitch Engage, Within Temptation, The Devil Wears Prada, Smashing Pumpkins, The Offspring, Green Day

- early 2008: more MCR, The Getaway Plan, Bring Me The Horizon, I Killed the Prom Queen, Still Remains, Haste the Day, Saves the Day, Silverstein, more Kill Hannah, more Aiden, Avenged Sevenfold, Mindless Self Indulgence, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus

- mid 2008-present: less MCR, New Found Glory, Jimmy Eat World, BFMV 'revival', that Lost Boys soundtrack 'Cry Little Sister', Bauhaus 'revival', The Sisters of Mercy, The 69 Eyes, Fields of the Nephilim, The Cure, The Birthday Massacre, Stolen Babies, Creature Feature, Rosetta Stone, Voltera, Tragic Black

something happened to my taste in the last few months I can't quite explain but is a bit of an improvement =D
pixy_dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #29
KontanKarite

You improved in musical tastes.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #30
Saya

I started off okay:

From childhood until somewhere in teen years (16 maybe?): Queen, Weird Al, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, Great Big Sea, Sarah McLachlan, Prozzak, Tchaikovsky, Rossini, Chopin

Age 16-17: This is really embarressing. I got into crap like Evanescence, The Used and Linkin Park, later on in the year Marilyn Manson, Cradle of Filth, MCR (this was their first album, which I will still say is decent), and HIM. HIM I still listen to sometimes, though, I still have Cradle and Manson albums but I haven't been in the mood to listen to them in a very long time.

Age 18 to present: My last year of highschool I recovered much of my hearing ablilites and started listening to The Cure (I went on a huge Cure binge, it was all I listened to for a while), Siouxsie And The Banshees, went back to listening to a lot of Queen, when I moved out I got into Apocalyptica, Voltaire...hmmm....my ex roommate tried to get me into punk, but her attitude, constant playing of NOFX, and insisting on playing it loud at five am, has quite made me dislike most punk music, Agaisnt Me I still like but it reminds me too much of her to really listen to them anymore. Lately I've been listening to Cinema Strange, The Dresden Dolls, Blaqk Audio, Scissor Sisters, and The Birthday Massacre.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:40 AM   #31
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
The Dresden Dolls
I do really like The Dresden Dolls, even though they're about the most random thing in my collection. This coming from a guy who owns a tribute album to Ilse Koch, wife of Karl Koch, SS chief commander of Nazi concentration camp Buchenwald.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:43 AM   #32
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
I do really like The Dresden Dolls, even though they're about the most random thing in my collection.
I like them, too. They've got a pretty unique style, methinketh. Ever heard of TV on the Radio?
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:52 AM   #33
PortraitOfSanity

I think so, yes.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:00 PM   #34
stolide

Well, for the first 14 years of my life, I listened to little music, and when I did it was almost exclusively classical.

Just this past two years, I picked up on hard rock, then metal, then I found Bauhaus and became in love with gothic rock. The metal bands I listened to were mostly like Children of Boddom and Five Finger Death Punch. I still listen to a bit of metal and classical music (Beethoven pwns!) now and then just to change things up. If I didn't, my favorite type of music at the time would have no meaning with nothing else to compare it to.

Looking back on things, I'm not really sure what prompted me to start listening to "modern" music so abruptly. Over the period of a month I became a metal head. I refused to listen to any other music deeming it not fit to fall upon my ears. Then I heard "Stigmata Martyr" by Bauhaus and stopped listening to almost everything except gothic rock. It strange to me how suddenly I change preferences and stranger still that I listened to so little music up until the last few years...
stolide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #35
MegearaErotica

Because I label things more in school grades than actual years... I'll start in middle school.

6th grade: R&B, Hip hop, Rap, and the like.
7th grade: Hoobastank, Linkin Park, Guns N Roses, Metallica, and some 80's hit bands like Duran Duran.
8th grade: Cradle of Filth, Atreyu, Lamb of God, Him, Mudvayne, London After Midnight, Apocalyptica, and anime ending songs.
9th grade: Autumn, Celtic Woman, Corpus Delecti, Ghost of Lemora, Celtic Frost, Nightwish, and a few stray techno hits from raves.
10th grade(now): Lots of everything mixed together, except for the rap/ hip hop. Siouxsie and the Banshees has been added so far.
These are only bands off the top of my head, and are not the only things I've liked or listened to.
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #36
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Hmmm...it all becomes a blur at my age but I will try:

1950's: don't remember much except my dad singing along to Perry Como.

1960's: Elvis, Beatles, Herb Alpert, Beach Boys, The Left Banke, Jethro Tull, and THEN Jefferson Airship, Iron Butterfly and Jimi Hendrix bust open the doors to the...

1970's: Iron Butterfly, Jefferson Airplane, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Yes, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Chicago, Frank Zappa and the Mothers, Procol Harum, Robin Trower (redundant I know), Focus, Aerosmith, The Crusaders, Jeff Beck, George Duke, Jean-Luc Ponty, Chick Correa, Florim Purim, Stanley Clarke, U.K. I can't remember everyone...

1980's: WHEE! This was a crazy time and I don't remember much except Berlin, Devo, Lene Lovich, more David Bowie, Tears for Fears, Duran Duran, Peter Murphy (after he left Bauhaus. I didn't know about Bauhaus at the time), Siouxsie and the Banshees, Echo and the Bunnymen, Throbbing Gristle, Circle Jerks, but mostly a blur, I know I am leaving out a lot, but I was partying 24/7. I think Jefferson Starship was in there somewhere until Grace Slick got arrested for brandishing a shotgun in the nude while tripping on acid. Or wait: maybe that was me.

1990's: Er...(looks around)...a little country and bluegrass: Clint Black, Martina McBride, Vince Gill, but I still liked rock and roll and New Romantics (what we called goth back then). I start coming out of the blur but things are still hazy...

2000: Now I rediscover New Romantics as "Goth" and start looking for Christian Death, Bauhaus, Joy Division, Love and Rockets, Echo and the Bunnymen, and also Cabaret, Death Metal and Black Metal: TigerLillies, Rasputina, Extol, Theatre Des Vampires. Oh, and the SubHumans. And Linkin Park. And Limp Biscuit. And The Killers. Clan of Xymox. I can't name everyone. This will have to do for now.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #37
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Can't believe I forgot Crosby, Stills Nash and Young, The Who, and Three Dog Night from the 1960's. Elton John from the 1970's. And Brownstone from 1990's, and System of a Down from 2000.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #38
MegearaErotica

I liked System of a Down also. I believe they broke up a while back though... I'll have to Google them.
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #39
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegearaErotica
except for the rap/ hip hop.
You deserve pain right now!!!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:06 PM   #40
MegearaErotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
You deserve pain right now!!!
Wait... why? Is it because I no longer like rap and hip hop?
Old 11-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #41
Godslayer Jillian

Because you say "I like everything except hip hop"

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #42
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
10th grade(now): Lots of everything mixed together, except for the rap/ hip hop. .
So you're a fan of NSBM and Grindcore then yeah?

Throwing blanket statements around is like throwing actual blankets around, all you do is make yourself look foolish.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #43
MegearaErotica

I probably should have said excluding. I wasn't concentrating on typing at the time.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #44
MegearaErotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
So you're a fan of NSBM and Grindcore then yeah?

Throwing blanket statements around is like throwing actual blankets around, all you do is make yourself look foolish.
Fine then, I listen to almost anything.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #45
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
I probably should have said excluding.
That makes no sense
"Fine, I don't like everything except hip hop, I like everything excluding hip hop"
Fuck you.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 11-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #46
MegearaErotica

Look, I was just guessing at what I was doing wrong. I'm trying to figure out if that was bad grammar or if you're trying to point to my "blanket" statement from earlier. Please enlighten me.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #47
Godslayer Jillian

You like 'everything' except hip hop!!!
Enlightened yet?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 PM   #48
LetheanBlacklight

Petty son of a bitch you are.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:53 PM   #49
MegearaErotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
You like 'everything' except hip hop!!!
Enlightened yet?
Now how hard was it to explain it a little more? Since I had already addressed that with Joker, I thought that perhaps I was using except in the wrong way.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:56 PM   #50
Godslayer Jillian

You're not fucking getting it.
The fact that you say "I like everything except hip hop" tells me you actually don't care about the music, just the pretty sounds.
Hip hop artists are the standard bearers of modern poetry.
If you honestly can like shit like ICP and Avril Lavigne but not The Coup, you deserve all the pain you can get.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote: