Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #76
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
I am going to **** you Doggystyle and be sippin' on Gin and Juice... laidback while I do it.
You wouldn't be the first to want a piece of this ass, kid.

I'll be impressed if you manage it without spilling though.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #77
Tralis

Until about 9th grade I like NuMetal. After 9th Grade I was very done with that phase.
In high school I listened to a lot of classic metal and a bit of oldies. I yearned for music expansion but I went to a very preppy school. I remember in 11th and 12th grade actively wanting to find some other sort of music that had more meaning and appealed to my ear. Without any goths at my high school, and I mean none, I really had no introduction to it. Toward the end I listened to a bit of industrial or I guess really Industrial Pop like NIN (never manson, thankfully).
My first year of college I got really into Romantic Music like Tchaikovsky and Wagner. I bought a turntable becuase I still did and do like oldies (60s and 70s music) and had a strange attraction to vinyl as a format, which I didn't really grow up with at all.
A new freind lent me Floodland on CD and it sort of... clicked. It was like that was what I had been searching for the whole time. That was about half a year ago. From Sisters of Mercy I've moved on to a myriad of goth groups from Bauhaus to Qntal to Switchblade Symphony. I've loved them all.
Tralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 AM   #78
Maggoty Anne

Talking

What a great thread. Let's see,
Poppy shit like N*sync and Eminem------->Alanis Morrisette & and Avril Lavigne-------->(old) Green Day--------->MCR, Evanescence, Marylin Manson and other crappy "goth" bands that I didn't actually like and Green Day----------->Older punk, The Dresden Dolls---------------> Rasputina, Humanwine, The Dresden Dolls, Amanda Palmer, Stephen Sondheim, Cinema Strange, The Cure, Jill Tracy, Voltaire, The Tiger Lillies, Gogol Bordello, Jason Webley, Vermillion Lies, Chopin, Danny Elfman, Creature Feature and every dark cabaret band ever except Ben Folds. And Dead Kennedys, The Adverts, Buzzcocks, Beirut, Neutral Milk Hotel, Arcade Fire and other stuff now.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #79
Elysiume

Pathetic mainstream kiddie rock until I was...9 ish.Then I grew up a little and became obsessed with My Chemical Romance, around the time they released The Black Parade. I got sick of the whole emo thing a couple of years later, I realised that they were just as full of shit as everyone else. So I had a short lived punk phase, around the time I became interested in Anarchism, listening to Crass and suchlike. Also obscure bands like Attack Attack Attack and Wingzar!, worth checking out by the way. But then I got disillusioned with that as well, so I kind of drifted for a while, listening to anything and everything. Had a VERY short lived electro phase, Gary Numan, Bowie, The Human League etc. Then one day I was watching The Mighty Boosh on TV, when they made a reference to The Cure (Goth Juice! Made with the tears of Robert Smith.) Anyway, because I had way too much spare time on my hands I googled Robert Smith, and listened to a couple of The Cure tracks. I instantly fell completely in love with it. From there, I just looked up similar bands like TSOM, Siouxsie etc. and started listening to those. At first I hated Bauhaus, but they grew on me. Then, because I was running out of things to listen to, I posted a really stupid question on Yahoo!Answers. "I started listening to *insert band names here*, what are some other bands I might like? I know these are all pretty obscure but.." Haha. Oh, the replies I got. I realised that this genre had a name, Goth. And the rest, as they say, is history...at the moment I'm listening to a lot of Voltaire, The Dresden Dolls, Alice Cooper, Dead Can Dance and Alien Sex Fiend.

"I am a citizen of the universe!"
- Porucík Servadac, Na Komete (1970)
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #80
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggoty Anne
What a great thread. Let's see,
Poppy shit like N*sync and Eminem------->Alanis Morrisette & and Avril Lavigne-------->(old) Green Day--------->MCR, Evanescence, Marylin Manson and other crappy "goth" bands that I didn't actually like and Green Day----------->Older punk, The Dresden Dolls---------------> Rasputina, Humanwine, The Dresden Dolls, Amanda Palmer, Stephen Sondheim, Cinema Strange, The Cure, Jill Tracy, Voltaire, The Tiger Lillies, Gogol Bordello, Jason Webley, Vermillion Lies, Chopin, Danny Elfman, Creature Feature and every dark cabaret band ever except Ben Folds. And Dead Kennedys, The Adverts, Buzzcocks, Beirut, Neutral Milk Hotel, Arcade Fire and other stuff now.
Ben Folds is dark cabaret? WHAAAAT?! Didn't he do the soundtrack for Over the Hedge?
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:42 AM   #81
Maggoty Anne

Wikipedia says he is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...abaret_artists
But they also list P!ATD, which is enough to make me [del]distrust the article completely[/del] retch. At least they don't list MCR. In a revolting Spin! magazine article Gerard way described himself as being "it," and it ruined my day. But Ben Folds did produce and sing on Amanda Palmer's new album, so...

...I want Amanda Palmer to tour with Voltaire. FUCK YES!!!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #82
Slap Your Love

backstreet boys>Nsync>creed>The offspring>nickelback>linkin park>green day>sum 41>blink 182>simple plan>good charlotte>nirvana>slipknot>
mudvayne>Static x>Mushroomhead>powerman 5000>korn>disturbed>system of a down>los prophets>story of the year>yellow card>cky>afi>HIM>Entwine>Charon>The Used>My chemical romance>Aiden>Senses fail>The cure>The Rasmus>Lamb of god>Avenged sevenfold>Killswitch engage>Hatebreed>Bleeding through>Shadows fall>Atreyu>The 69 eyes>Cradle of filth>Dimmu borgir>
Emperor>Immortal>Celtic frost>Mayhem>Burzum>Bathory>Amon amarth>
Windir>Borknagar>Finntroll>Moonsorrow>Amorphis>Aci d bath>My dying bride>
Paradise lost>Funeral>The gathering>Tristiana>Theatre of tragedy>Theatres des vampires>Tiamat>Nightwish>Within temptation>Epica>Lacuna Coil>Therion>Fields of the Nephilim>Christian death>The sisters of mercy>
The mission uk>Bauhaus>Siouxie and the banshees>The virgin prunes>
London after midnight>Joy division>David bowie>Xmal Deutschland>
The birthday party>Dead can dance>Cacteau twins>Clan of xymox>
Wolfsheim>The postal service>soft cell>Depeche mode>
love is colder than death>love like blood>Diary of dreams>
black tape for a blue girl>love spirals downward>The cruxshadows>
VNV nation>Throbbing gristle>Coil>Android lust>Suicide commando>
:wumpscut:>KMFDM>Skinny puppy>Current 93>Front 242>Nitzer Ebb>Front Line Assembly>Aghast view>NIN>As I lay dying>Underoath>Darkest hour>
Norma jean>The chariot>Bright eyes>Deathcab for cutie>Wilco>The
shins>Iron and wine>Azure ray>Rilo kiley>Missy higgins>Regina spektor>
Gregory and the hawk>blue october>coldplay>Chris tomlin>Ann bolyn>
>local deathcore>Job for a cowboy>Heaven shall burn>
Bring me the horizon>Parkway drive>As blood runs black>Through the eyes
of the dead>Suicide silence>All shall perish>Carnifex>Mychildren mybride>
Attila>The acacia strain>Emmure>Bury your dead>My bitter end>
Knights of the abyss>With blood comes cleansing>White chapel>salt the wound>xafbx>xliferuinerx>Recon>xBishopx>xBarcadiax >xthickasbloodx>
xDeathstarx>xtyrantx>local hardcore shows>Conor oberst and the mystic valley band.

Lately: A mixture of Conor oberst,Bright eyes,wolfsheim,clan of xymox,chris tomlin,haste the day, salt the wound and mychildren mybride.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #83
goth_96

1996-2003-Eminem,Spice Girls,Blondie,Depeche Mode,Eurthmytics,Britney Spears

2003-2009-Benny Bennassi,Marilyn Manson,HIM,Evanescense,The Cure,Depeche Mode,Cruxshadows,Siouxsie and the Banshees,Bob Marley,Paul Wall,Nelly,Linkin Park

2009-2010-Benny Bennassi,The Cure,Siouxsie and the Banshees,Depeche Mode,The Cruxshadows,Clan of Xymox,The Frozen Autumn,London After Midnight,Staind,Massive Attack,Type O Negative,Sisters of Mercy,Portishead,Reptile
goth_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #84
Breathless Horror

Started out listening to The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, and Neil Young.

By the time I hit high school I was listening to Black Sabbath, Megadeath, Slayer, Iron Maiden, etc.

Moved into Children of Bodom, Naglfar, Draconian, and Shade Empire.

Then goth came along with London After Midnight, Siouxsie, Cinema Strange, and Christian Death

Shortly after my introduction to goth I discovered Punk and thats where I still am. Choking Victim, Star Fucking Hipsters, No-Ca$h, NoFX, The Misfits, The Exploited, Anti-Flag, Flogging Molly, Crass, etc etc etc

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #85
sibyl vane.

I haven't really evolved, I still listen to the same shit, just more of it.

Tchaikovsky, Mozart, Beethoven
-->Billie Holiday, Buddy Holly, The Beatles, The Kinks, Queen
-->The Like, All About Eve, Johnny Cash, Avril Lavigne
-->Jeff Buckley, The Postal Service, Fall Out Boy
-->Mayhem, Borkagnar, Opeth, Bauhaus, The Mission
-->Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Amanda Palmer
-->Maya Filipic, Tegan and Sara, Tabloid, M.I.A., Eisley, The Young Veins, Bright Eyes, Brand New, Lady GaGa

Fuck yeah.
sibyl vane. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #86
Saya

I really liked this thread. Lately I'm listening to Sun Ra, Joan Jett, The Beatles and other than that just songs from various artists from all genres but not enough of one to generalize. I'm in a weird place musically right now.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #87
Aska

Oh geez...I started off with the Beatles and the Spice Girls in '95/'96. I stuck with them until '99 when I stumbled onto blink182. I loved them until one day I started watching Metal Mania on VH1 Classic and then I started getting into 80's hair metal. Motley Crue, Cinderella...then I stayed up late one night and I discovered Children of Bodom. At this time, I was in middle school and I was the only one who knew Bodom at the time. These are the perks of going to a school in the middle of no where.

Anyways, after I got into Bodom I started exploring more subgenres of metal like black metal and folk. Somehow, I got into Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears, and other alternative and new wave bands. The end of my junior year and the beginning of my senior year is when I started getting into industrial, EBM, and dark wave artists as well as rave stuff (the guy I was dating at the time was into raving).

Right now, I'm still into folk metal; bands like Agalloch, Korpiklaani, Finntroll, etc. I still adore the hell out of Depeche Mode. My playlists as of right now go between Turmion Kätilöt, Haydn, and Chopin. I took two years of music theory and it gave me a greater appreciation for classical.

EDIT: I've also been getting into the Horrorpops and Nekromantix.
Aska is offline   Reply With Quote