Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Gavin

Can anyone please help me raise awareness for hate crimes

Hi i am a graphic designer and i am currently working on a campaign on behalf of the Sophie Lancaster Organisation, the young lady who was murdered back in 2007 simply because she dressed differently.
I feel so strongly about the Organisation and what it stands for i am trying to create a campaign to raise awareness of the foundation and its core aims.

If anyone has any input they would be able to give me to aid me in creating a strong and meaningful campaign to reach out to people so they can see wha tis going on in the world today, i would be extremely grateful.

Could you email me anything that you may have to show me or just feedback or input, i would appreciate anything.
kempgavin@************

Kind regards
Gavin
Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Gavin

h o t m a i l . c o m
Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
Still Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
Can anyone please help me raise awareness for hate crimes.
No. Also, you forgot a question mark.
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
ArchLich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
No. Also, you forgot a question mark.
lol, this forum is just filled with bleeding hearts, isnt it?
ArchLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
voodoowitchdr

This may seem like a mean question...but did you pick to post in this forum just because "goth" is considered "different" style of dress,thus believing that you would find a lot of people who recieve ridocule for it. If you did, shame on you for targeting groups that you feel stick out, if not...enjoy your time here.
voodoowitchdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
ArchLich

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoowitchdr View Post
This may seem like a mean question...but did you pick to post in this forum just because "goth" is considered "different" style of dress,thus believing that you would find a lot of people who recieve ridocule for it. If you did, shame on you for targeting groups that you feel stick out, if not...enjoy your time here.
Yeah, come to think of it, I'm interested in reading his answer to that.
ArchLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:29 AM   #7
isobel black

Apparently, this Sophie girl was goth.

I think the more interesting question is whether this qualifies as a hate crime. I'm a bit ambiguous on that one myself.
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:49 AM   #8
Underwater Ophelia

It wasn't a hate crime, and "raising awareness" is bullshit.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:14 AM   #9
Solumina

Sophie was savagely beaten to death because she was goth (and if I recall correctly her boyfriend was also beaten unconscious), from a legal standpoint it doesn't qualify as a hate crime but the way the two were targeted, the severity of the injuries, the group mentality, the exact nature of the beatings, the way that the beatings continued well after she was conscious, all together the psychology of the attack reads just like a hate crime.

So, Gavin, are you working directly with the organization or are you trying to raise awareness on your own?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Sophie was savagely beaten to death because she was goth (and if I recall correctly her boyfriend was also beaten unconscious), from a legal standpoint it doesn't qualify as a hate crime but the way the two were targeted, the severity of the injuries, the group mentality, the exact nature of the beatings, the way that the beatings continued well after she was conscious, all together the psychology of the attack reads just like a hate crime.

So, Gavin, are you working directly with the organization or are you trying to raise awareness on your own?
No it wasn't because she was goth, it was because the guys were idiots.
It may have been because she was different, sure, but come on.
I think "hate crime" should be a term reserved for groups in a minority they can't escape, and who generally experience hatred wherever they go.

Black people can't decide to not be black, but a goth can decide to stop dressing like an asshole.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Black people can't decide to not be black, but a goth can decide to stop dressing like an asshole.
I lol'd. It's quote worthy.

I want to see how you're going to "raise awareness", Gavin. Sure, it was horrid as fuck and plenty of hate and crime was involved, but how can you make people want to take a stand on it versus "the cultural devolution of the Aboriginal man" or what have you?

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
No it wasn't because she was goth, it was because the guys were idiots.
It may have been because she was different, sure, but come on.
I think "hate crime" should be a term reserved for groups in a minority they can't escape, and who generally experience hatred wherever they go.

"As the trial opened the prosecution told the hearing: "Sophie and Robert were singled out not for anything they had said or done, but because they looked and dressed differently."

The Law seems to believe so. One of the convicted attackers, Harris admitted it was because they were "moshers".

Yes, he was an idiot, but an idiot that killed her because she was Goth.
There is more than just Wiki on the internet that documents the police interview of Harris and his statements of why he made her "a right mess".

Now I have a problem with your last comment. If *I* were to decide that the chavs were "dressing like an asshole" should they stop dressing that way? Of course not. And Sophie should not have had to stop dressing the way she did (which was in perfectly good taste in my opinion).

I went out on Towel Day wearing a bathrobe and carrying a towel, went grocery shopping, went to Quizno's and nobody beat me up or even threatened to beat me up or even said one damn thing to me about the way I was dressed. So sure, maybe I was dressed like an asshole, but it was not a reason to die.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #13
KontanKarite

Humane, you know she's just going to say something on the lines of, "Them's the breaks."

Beating someone up because they're dressed differently is no excuse for bad behavior.

However, people out there ARE hateful and would kill you for less than a fishnet shirt. There's people that die because they wear a white tee shirt on the wrong street. A red or blue bandanna can get you straight murdered on the spot.

Socially, I think we should work together as a people to remove the stigmas or arbitrary meanings of pieces of clothing. That would be a better victory than just having protective legislation for those that dress weird.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #14
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain View Post

Now I have a problem with your last comment. If *I* were to decide that the chavs were "dressing like an asshole" should they stop dressing that way? Of course not. And Sophie should not have had to stop dressing the way she did (which was in perfectly good taste in my opinion).

I went out on Towel Day wearing a bathrobe and carrying a towel, went grocery shopping, went to Quizno's and nobody beat me up or even threatened to beat me up or even said one damn thing to me about the way I was dressed. So sure, maybe I was dressed like an asshole, but it was not a reason to die.
This is all true.
However, my point wasn't that everyone should stop dressing like assholes, it was that goths don't deserve the same status as actual minorities.

I don't think anyone should have to dress or not dress in any particular fashion. However, if you're concerned about being beaten up or killed for wearing fishnets, maybe you'd be brighter to stop wearing fishnets.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
Ebbhead

Quote:
I went out on Towel Day wearing a bathrobe and carrying a towel, went grocery shopping, went to Quizno's and nobody beat me up or even threatened to beat me up or even said one damn thing to me about the way I was dressed.
That could be due to anything. Not many people around? You live in a relatively liberal (or too conservative to say anything) area? You were just lucky?

You're right about the prejudice working both ways though, in fact I think there was a separate incident that same week which was basically the other way round (a "mosher" killing a "chav" over those same petty aesthetic reasons). Not that it justifies any other attacks of course.
Ebbhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #16
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
it was that goths don't deserve the same status as actual minorities.
I have no idea why you think hate crime is only something that happens to minorities.

Aside from that, the sophie lancaster shit really bugs me. It's so bourgeois. So inconsequential. So insignificant compared to real problems that are in fact the underlying causes of what happened to Sophie.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:36 AM   #17
Anarasha

I must agree with you, Jillian.
Other than that, I think Ophelia needs a hug :o
I think Gavin's case is worth supporting, really.
I must admit, I had not heard of this case until I read about it here.
But now that I have, I am disgusted.
Killing innocent people, or just performing acts of violence against any kinds of people for any reason is fucking sick.
I think that hate crimes can cover anyone anywhere, really. If you beat up a clown, it is a hate crime. If you beat up an "alternative" it's a hate crime. And if you beat up a homosexual or a person with different skin than you, it is equally a hate crime. A hate crime is really just a crime against a certain person because you hate something about them. It doesn't have to be against an inescapable minority of people, as long as it's driven by hate.
Or atleast, those are my thoughts on it.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #18
Delkaetre

It happened ages ago.
Most of us in the UK have heard about it- and by now, it's getting damn hard to avoid hearing about it. I contributed in my own particular way to her memorial bench at Whitby. We've done the fundraising, the issue has been raised on GNet many times before (check out the Spooky News archives for examples).
Sophie has had her funeral, her attackers have had their trial (even if their sentencing did seem a bit too lenient), and the newspapers have covered it at one point or another- even the relatively respectable broadsheets like the Guardian.

Attacking people for how they look is hateful. It is based on prejudice and a culture of violence and frustration. The answer is not to try making us a protected minority group as those with unchangable differences like skin colour or sexual orientation are, nor is it to give us special protections as we give so many cults and religions. A better plan would be to get better community integration. If you're a goth and you think goths are shunned as freaks, start doing volunteer work and show what a good person you are- get out into the community and prove the stereotypes and ugly viewpoints wrong. Encourage others, non-goths and 'chavs' included, to do so as well.

And, for christssake, please try to remember that 'i' should actually be 'I'. It's a simple thing to correct, and bugs me to no end.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #19
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
I have no idea why you think hate crime is only something that happens to minorities.
That's true, I was wrong there.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #20
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarasha View Post
Other than that, I think Ophelia needs a hug :o
What do you mean by that?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #21
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I think it is a way to belittle your comments. "she needs a hug, is not feeling well so don't mind her comments" or something like that.

I for one always appreciate your contributions Ophie because they force (sometimes) us to look at things differently, and that sometimes leads to insight about our own perspectives, that we don't always see things objectively.

Countering popular opinion, or countering "politeness" in the search for truth is a good thing, but not everyone realizes this during our discussions. They first see and react to the blunt objection, the ventured proposal that they/we could be wrong.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #22
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
I think it is a way to belittle your comments. "she needs a hug, is not feeling well so don't mind her comments" or something like that.

I for one always appreciate your contributions Ophie because they force (sometimes) us to look at things differently, and that sometimes leads to insight about our own perspectives, that we don't always see things objectively.

Countering popular opinion, or countering "politeness" in the search for truth is a good thing, but not everyone realizes this during our discussions. They first see and react to the blunt objection, the ventured proposal that they/we could be wrong.
Thanks, Humane.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #23
Toxin

Without trying to sound heartless and cold... The Sophie Lancaster Foundation has made changes equal to... Let me see here... Shit, maybe.
I've saw a video in school about how the government were trying to stop ned violence [that's a chav, but in Scottish]. Their incredibly intelligent, well-thought-out, VERY effective method? Creating fun clubs for them to play football in. And it really worked. [sorry for my sarcasm; it has not made even a slight difference].

I've saw arguments that goth is a thing you choose, and therefore somehow we are "choosing to be attacked". Well sorry about that, I'll just pretend to like a subculture that doesn't interest me at all, instead.
I've saw arguments that compared to what happened to the Jews and the blacks, our situation is nothing. But all situations like that start as "nothing", don't they? I'd rather stamp out the problem while it's still "small". Not to mention, it's us concerned here. Big or small problem, we ARE being attacked for our choice of subculture.

We shouldn't have to compromise just because some people find our clothes weird. If we done that all the time, we'd probably be changing every few months, wouldn't we? Whenever the latest fad dies out. It completely defeats the purpose of even having a style.

The facts are, that you are more likely to be attacked by a group of neds for wearing a black trenchcoat than for wearing a Lacoste tracksuit or Reebok jumper. I know, I grew up in Glasgow, the ned-capital of Scotland. It offends me so badly that some people out there are turning the other cheek and degrading anyone who's put up with this crap before.

I even was once a ned; And I know they don't respect you for showing them how innocent you are [me and my old ned mates used to laugh at all that stuff], they won't respect you for being an individual... They'll respect you for being a "hard man"; If you want them to leave you alone, quit whining, and join me; Kick the shit out of any one of them who dare to attack you. [let them attack first; That way no whiners can accuse us of "stooping down"].
Toxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #24
Tam Li Hua

Ah, it's that time of year again, is it?

[What's an American term that's the equivalent to "chav" or "ned"? I get the general idea, but I can't think of a solid term that means the same thing. Is it like "jock", or is it more like "jerk"?]
Old 07-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #25
Toxin

I guess the closest definition would be "preps/jocks/wiggers with Christian fundie influences" lol. I could explain the whole meaning but I think you get the point; Culture is a bit different in America though, you might not have a total equivalent.
Toxin is offline   Reply With Quote