Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

View Poll Results: Is Nicolas Cage ...
CREEPILY interesting like Jon Voight 1 16.67%
CHARMINGLY interesting like Christopher Walken 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Ben Lahnger

A question and poll about Nicolas Cage

So, I've liked Nicolas Cage generally over his career, although his later performances have mostly been roughly the same character and one could question a lot of his career choices. (And when did Disney decide that Nick Cage was the big, lovable leading man to build a bunch of blockbusters around?) But as I said, I mostly like him okay.

But I've noticed that none of the women I know do. And I got some interesting feedback when I asked about it.

So, LADIES, as he becomes an older actor and starts relying more and more on his quirky characterizations and less and less upon his looks, is he becoming creepily interesting like Jon Voight, or charmingly interesting like Christopher Walken?

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
Saya

I'm voting Walken but I don't think he's really Walken-ish either. They both do the same role a lot but Cage can surprise with pretty good acting, like I thought he did a fantastic job in Kick Ass. Not that Walken has never done anything good but he's just way more surreal. Walken is only predictable in that you know its going to be a funny performance, but you have no idea what kind of movie he's going to be in or what crazy shit he's going to do. This guy...is un-FUCKING-believable. Walken is funny and weird, Nick Cage is funny but predictable, mostly.

I think I started to learn to appreciate him better after Grindhouse came out and he made the cameo in Werewolf Women Of The S.S. I think he's pretty aware when his acting is hammy, and it makes it funny. One of my favourite Rifftrax is The Wickerman XD even in movies I liked when I was younger like Moonstruck (yes, this is a huge guilty pleasure of mine) looking back now, there was no way he took that movie seriously. "I LOST MY HAND!" was gold.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
OnyxBat

This guy is good for serious movies not comical ones, his performance in Kick ass was not all that well.
I have a bath tile that looks like him, so now when I shower I only see him in front of me.
OnyxBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
Fruitbat

Nick Cage is hot. I'd go out with him. I liked him in Ghost rider and Next. He's a charmer (in his movies)

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Saya

Old 09-03-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
Fruitbat

Ouch Saya. Okay so maybe in Ghost Rider I had bike envy, and maybe I just envied his ability in Next to see into the future.
But I think he's had a bit of plastic done. I think I've seen knowing too - can't remember it's the altzimers, or sleep dep or something .

Chris Walken is hot too - far out I'm showing my age - where's my zimmerframe?
I liked him in Weapons of Choice

Old 09-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #7
Ben Lahnger

Saya, I get "Moonstruck" ... I liked him a lot in "Peggy Sue Got Married" and "Raising Arizona" ... and I think he worked harder at acting during that period than he does now.

* Your graphic really got to me. I'm laughing, but "Knowing" just arrived in the mail as my next Netflix DVD! *

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 09-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
ape descendant

Loved "Raising Arizona"... but he's still on my actor's shitlist for the abortion known as "The Wickerman" and I thought that "Ghostrider" sucked balls.

DISCLAIMER: The above are my incredibly ignorant opinions about movies which I judge purely on a like/dislike criteria rather than anything substantial.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
OnyxBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
Nick Cage is hot. I'd go out with him. I liked him in Ghost rider and Next. He's a charmer (in his movies)
Would you like to see my bath tile?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #10
Ben Lahnger

Well, I finished watching "Knowing" and ... meh. I was disappointed, not because of Cage's acting, but mostly because it didn't seem like an Alex Proyas film ... more like an M. Night Shyamalan film. And that ending ... yeesh! I know the last clip was supposed to make it seem hopeful and upbeat, but what a downer!

Oh, I thought Nick was okay in Ghost Rider ... the fault there was the script, not the actor. (He's proven he really has no judgement when it comes to what projects he picks to act in, but that worked for Michael Caine who has come to be viewed as a legend even though he's made some awful turkeys in his past.)

Cage has acknowledged there's some work being done towards getting a sequel made, so that might be an opportunity to get it right.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 09-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #11
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
Chris Walken is hot too - far out I'm showing my age - where's my zimmerframe?
I liked him in Weapons of Choice
Erm, he's not aging so gracefully, but damn he was a looker when he was young.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
Fruitbat

Saya Chris was pretty cute when he was younger - the same as alan rickman. Personally, I prefer voices over looks (crazy insane girl I know).

Well I never listen to my movie recommendations. Mr Bat yes. Me - no. I watch movies to escape. So I judge a good movie if I can get lost in the story and if I don't get fidgety.