Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #26
KontanKarite

So long as they don't do a complete overhaul of the gameplay, I'm sure I'll be pleased.

I felt that FO3 was an amazing game but came a bit short on the content compared to Oblivion. Had FO3 been as big and expansive as Oblivion, it would probably have been one of the greatest games ever created.

Far too many times, I've ran across key points in FO3 and recognized it completely whereas Oblivion was so large, it was hard to remember the entire game as easily.

Let's hope New Vegas actually requires you to spend more than 20 hours playing to beat it.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #27
vindicatedxjin

I agree about the oblivion thing... theres just soooo much to do though.... I loved it at first but I just got overwhelmed with the feeling of never being able to beat it completely... so I stopped playing it. Where as on fo3 I was completely content beating the quests, side quesst, and getting all the bobble heads... knowing that there was going to be an "ending" eventually. Obviously I expect more of a challenge in new vegas, but regardless I'm sure that I'll love it.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #28
KontanKarite

You see, I didn't mind an ending. But you couldn't continue adventuring. At the same time, Broken Steel fixed that problem and for some reason, I liked it more, but didn't feel like exploring because despite all the addons, there was really no reason to explore.

For some reason, exploring for the lulz in Oblivion was just as satisfying as playing the quests. I'm just confused as to how that spark was lost to Bethesda when they made FO3.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #29
vindicatedxjin

I'm starting to get really impatient. I'm thinking I should have pre-ordered D:

Bring Kontan Back
Old 10-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #30
KontanKarite

Well... FallOut New Vegas is now out.

And I'm feeling a little ambivalent. I WANT to be into this game. I really do. I haven't played it yet, but from my experiences with FO3, I just don't want to go there again. Fallout 3 was still one of the coolest RPGs I've ever played.

But does New Vegas give something entirely new? I'm almost afraid it doesn't. I read a review that said New Vegas just felt like one massive expansion. I'm not sure if I'm entirely cool with that being that the expansions for FO3 wasn't that impressive to begin with.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #31
vindicatedxjin

Haven't gotten yet, so I'm not really sure how I feel about it. BUT I can say that my friends who are currently playing, are enjoying it immensely. Obviously the game play is pretty much the same as FO3, but there are the slight changes that make it better...more character immersing. I'll just hold my tongue until I play it.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #32
KontanKarite

I'm playing FO3 again. Honestly, I don't understand their gripes about the graphics. I mean, it still looks incredible and the gameplay is fun. I guess what my real concern is, is that New Vegas may be more of the same, but does it have enough content to contend with FO3 GOTY edition?

Old 10-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #33
Versus

I haven't played it too much yet, but my first impressions of it are good. I have one point of advice I'd like to share, though.

Get it for computer. The Mods from Fallout 3 are easy to convert to New Vegas. I know that a lot of people gripe that there wasn't a lot of content for 3 as compared to Oblivion. I think vanilla 3 had like 30 quests, as opposed to TES 4's 200+. What a lot of people don't realize, however, is that the user community has essentially changed the face of both games. I cannot express in words much better they both were with mods. Literally, everything that you Bethesda did wrong can be changed. It annoys me that Bethesda still doesn't up the ante in a few areas (Character Meshes/Textures for example. The women in 3 looked awful, but a few mods fixed that right quick), but they are trying.

For example, New Vegas' "Hardcore" mode is just a dumbed down port of a popular Fallout 3 realism mod. I am a HUGE fan of the post-apocalyptic genre. Tank Girl, Mad Max, Water World, The Postman, The Book of Eli, Dawn of the Dead, I am Legend, ect, so the first thing I did was download mods that emphasize survival as an aspect of game play because this... was simply not a factor in 3. My current Fallout 3 game's gameplay mechanics to fix that include Acid rain, a much higher radiation presence, realistic food, water, and sleep needs (as well as appropriate effects from alcohol, drugs, stims, food, ect), fucking ZOMBIE HORDES, and an amazing mod called "DC Interiors" that literally adds hundreds of unique buildings scattered throughout the DC ruins. All of this adds an entire dimension to simply going about your business.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #34
KontanKarite

That's all good and fine. FO will never work on my PC. I'll be getting it for 360 if I EVER even get it at all. So my question is, Is vanilla New Vagas better than FO3 GOTY?

Old 10-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #35
Versus

Eh, probably. The only official expansion for Fallout 3 that was worth anything was Broken Steel. Thought I hear Point Lookout had a cool atmosphere. Everything else takes maybe 3-4 hours to do apiece, and they really aren't worth it in my opinion. If you've already gone through everything in Fallout 3, I'd get New Vegas just because... but take that with a grain of salt. Like I said, I haven't really played it much so I couldn't tell you if it has anywhere near as much content as vanilla Oblivion did.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #36
Versus

Also. Science doesn't suck anymore. This pleases me.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:40 AM   #37
KontanKarite

I have heard that they expanded on the already defined skills. I heard Melee and Unarmed are far more sophisticated now. That almost makes me want to buy it on the spot.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #38
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
That's all good and fine. FO will never work on my PC. I'll be getting it for 360 if I EVER even get it at all. So my question is, Is vanilla New Vagas better than FO3 GOTY?
Except some of the bugs... Yes. It's more like Fallout 2, (or if you're old enough to have played it: Wasteland) and there's a crap-ton of quests to do, and places to visit even before you enter New Vegas. I've played around 25 hours now and the lights of Vegas still lingers at the horizon.

Also, the quests are a hell of a lot more intricate now. Ah, and I almost forgot that there are factions so you won't be able to play all the different quests on your first playthrough.

edit: Damn, I forgot to mention that the enemies don't level up with you the same way as they did in F3. You can actually stumble into an area where you get your ass handed to you in two seconds flat now (i.e Deathclaws or dangerous as hell supermutants). There's more weapons too and different ammo types, etc making combat immensely more fun and tactical.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #39
Versus

Quote:
I have heard that they expanded on the already defined skills. I heard Melee and Unarmed are far more sophisticated now. That almost makes me want to buy it on the spot.
You are correct. Melee is... much more satisfying to pursue.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:06 AM   #40
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine View Post
Except some of the bugs... Yes. It's more like Fallout 2, (or if you're old enough to have played it: Wasteland) and there's a crap-ton of quests to do, and places to visit even before you enter New Vegas. I've played around 25 hours now and the lights of Vegas still lingers at the horizon.
I may find the bugs to be a moot point. BECAUSE FO3 DOES crash on you occasionally. So... is the crashes more apparent in this game as FO3? If it's about the same, then yeah, I take it that New Vegas is leagues better than FO3.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:03 AM   #41
Versus

Methadrine, what are you playing on?
Old 10-25-2010, 03:15 AM   #42
Methadrine

I'm playing it on the PC. It's been patched now too, although I still had to get a customized .dll to remove some graphical slowdown when looking at NPC's. Other than that, it's been rockstable so far.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:24 AM   #43
Versus

Hrm. I haven't had too many issues with crashes and stuff yet. I had one earlier, and I noticed a glitch here and there, but nothing major.

Also. When you absolutely must kill everything.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #44
Skeleton Jelly

I started playing it a few days ago and was considering starting my character over. I was wondering if anyone could help me with my character's build? My current character's build is:

Level 8
S.P.E.C.I.A.L
4 6 5 6 8 8 6

I took the Small Frame and Wild Wasteland traits. Current Perks; Intense Training (3), Toughness. Pretty sure that was it... Is this good/bad? Salvageable? o_o I haven't run into any real issues so far, I'm just worried later on I might.
Skeleton Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #45
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeleton Jelly View Post
I started playing it a few days ago and was considering starting my character over. I was wondering if anyone could help me with my character's build? My current character's build is:

Level 8
S.P.E.C.I.A.L
4 6 5 6 8 8 6

I took the Small Frame and Wild Wasteland traits. Current Perks; Intense Training (3), Toughness. Pretty sure that was it... Is this good/bad? Salvageable? o_o I haven't run into any real issues so far, I'm just worried later on I might.
I'd be happy to tell you my philosophy, but only under the condition that you remember it's your post-apocalyptic bad ass, not mine.

Something I would like to bring to your attention is that sometimes attributes are less desirable, and I can see you've gone attribute heavy in your perks. For example, perception, as far as I know, only determines compass range. Do you really need all those red ticks marks from just a little further by having it at 6? I think the most desirable attributes, based solely on the raw bonuses they give, are strength, endurance, intelligence, agility, and sometimes charisma. Also, it's important to know what is available to you once you start the game, but that's really whether or not you want to spoil it for yourself. Sometimes, there are alternate ways to permanently raise an attribute to high levels without even touching it in character creation or with intense training. It takes a lot of consideration, though, because I may not want to raise a certain attribute, but I may want a perk that requires it.

Concerning perks in general, personally, I like to go for the ones that either I can make use of often, or give me something completely outside of my normal ability. I favor perks like Comprehension and Educated coupled with a high intelligence because I find it very frustrating to not be able to do everything by the time I reach the level cap. Some other favorites are Strong Back, Toughness, Black Widow/Lady Killer, Cherchez La Femme/Confirmed Bachelor, Long Haul, Piercing Strike, as examples. Concerning this, however, I would highly recommend you stay away from things such as Swift Learner or Here and Now. They're wasting your perk on something you get eventually, anyway.

As far as skills, that's really a personal choice. I think they are a lot more well rounded and useful this time around. My problem is that I like to do everything very early.

Anyway, that's just my take on it. I hope it helps you whether you want to reroll or not. But I guess that really depends on if you can ignore a nagging voice in the back of your head.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #46
Versus

Edit: I meant "And sometimes luck."
Old 10-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #47
KontanKarite

Honestly, I say mother fuck charisma. Bring it down to 1. Seriously, you don't need friends.

Okay, now. Bring intelligence up to 9 and find the bobble head for 10. Same for luck. Same for agility. Go with small guns and give yourself at least 6 perception. You'll never die.

Skills:

Small guns
Sneak
Lockpick
Medicine/repair
Science

Max those out and AVOID shit like lady killer or little leaguer. DO NOT WASTE YOUR PERKS ON THINGS THAT RAISE YOUR SKILLS. Avoid here and now and avoid fast learner. Educated is fucking great. But Comprehension is optional.

BTW, I play Fallout 3 GOTY edition.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #48
Versus

Charisma in Fallout 3 isn't as relevant as it has been, no. I thought it was at least worth a 6 in 2. The most that could be said about Charisma in 3 was that it was noticeably more difficult to pass speech or barter checks, regardless of skill, without it. I think the clinch, however, was that there weren't any good perks that required you to raise it.

And I never felt that sneak was very useful in 3. I don't think the sneak attack is pivotal enough, I don't think NPCs have anything worth pickpocketing, and just stealing things doesn't require any sneak at all, unlike say, oblivion. Also, for the most part I felt having lock picking and science was a redundancy. Usually the situation was a terminal that unlocks a safe that be lock picked. Even then, I might even justify having neither because that safe is almost never important and only contains a random loot table, anyway.

Really, in the end, it doesn't matter. Bethesda is trying to be kind in that everything can be accomplished regardless of what you're character is capable of. I remember when games didn't give two shits if you didn't have the appropriate skill (or key, as it may be).
Old 10-26-2010, 06:13 AM   #49
Raptor

Versus, you make me wish I had got FO3 on PC, the realism mod sounds great. But if New Vegas has something similar as part of the standard game, are there many other mods that are really worth it? Trying to make the PC vs 360 choice.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #50
Versus

Raptor, Bethesda was merely tipping their hat to the mods that they admitted inspired them to implement in New Vegas. If you don't believe me when I say that they don't compare, go to the fallout 3 nexus and look at their top 100. Really, Bethesda has to take into account some of it isn't for everyone so they call it "Hardcore more," even though there is nothing realistic or challenging about it. You can go a week without water, but you can't go a week without food, for example. Their job is to make it fun for everyone.

Even more amazing, though, is the Oblivion mod community... but I'll save that for TES5.