Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

View Poll Results: Bauhaus vs. Joy Division
Bauhaus 16 47.06%
Joy Division 18 52.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2012, 01:38 AM   #26
Hydrodyssodia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I have to confess I'm one of those people who like Bela Lugosi's Dead and nothing else by the Bauhaus.
I used to be like this, but lately I've had Mask on repeat endlessly. Some amazing dancy stuff, not that I can dance properly.
Hydrodyssodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #27
Xombie

This is super tough, but I have spent a lot more time listening to Bauhaus sooo there's my answer.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #28
Devola Pease

I listen to Bauhaus way more than Joy Division, but objectively, I think that the few songs I like of Joy Division's are of way better quality than the Bauhaus songs I enjoy. I'm thinking specifically of Atmosphere and She's Lost Control here- there's a few others I like, too, but I like those two the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-Punk View Post
Neither, there is a Post-punk band I put above Bauhaus, Joy Division, and Christian Death and it is The Sound!
Thanks for bringing up The Sound. I instantly fell in love with the hooks.
Devola Pease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #29
marrissey

I can't honestly decide between the two... Except I've been listening to Bauhaus a lot more than Joy Division lately.
marrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #30
Jon Wane

I'm sure this is gonna earn me some haters, but I have to go with Bauhaus. I think JD are terribly overrated.

Their few AMAZING songs don't make up for the abundance of limp, listless, go-nowhere Post-Punk droning that is the majority of their work as far as I'm concerned. Funnily enough, Disorder is one of my all-time favorite songs [EDIT: I'm talking favorite songs ever here].

Seems to me like most other JD material doesn't come close to living up to that one song, though.

Just an FYI: The nails go through the wrists, not the hands.
Jon Wane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #31
7BloodyWidow7

Absolutely Bauhaus.
I have nothing against JD, I like them very much. But I personally find Bauhaus to have better music and to be more instrumental in the Gothic movement.
7BloodyWidow7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #32
Sinjob

The way I see it, Bauhaus was really the better band. I honestly can't see how at the time the two bands were linked in anyway aside from the mistaken classification of 'goth' vs. post-punk in the wake of a neurotic German influence. They're extremely different thematically. As far as songwriting goes, Joy Division had a better display of internal human conflict in description and imagery.

However, the limited success of Bauhaus they were much more versatile and abstract musically (including the superior hooks of Daniel Ash to Bernard Summer's considerably minimalist playing as well as Murphy's vocal range in comparison to Ian's strange yet soothing drone) while they weren't as strong symbolically and lacked the poetic genius of Curtis, the Dadaist overtones of their music fills in for material.

Joy Division is good, but a rare kind of good, over the time I've spent listening to them it seems like they weren't meant to last. And I admit, Bauhaus did become quite shitty in the end, but they were far more solid in terms of production (especially their creative control) and artistry.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #33
Despanan

Always liked Joy Division better. Bauhaus struck me as a bit less honest, so aside from a few songs, I've had a problem really getting into their work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #34
November-Coming-Fire

Joy Division for creating some of the most haunting sounds this world will ever know. I tend to listen to them a lot more than Bauhaus. However, I do love "In The Flat Field" and wouldn't turn away the albums succeeding it.
November-Coming-Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #35
BlackBat

Jd

I love both of these bands truly, but Joy Division is my favorite band of all time. There is not a JD song that I don't like. I have Ian Curtis' "songbook" So This is Permanence. I can relate to all of his work. He wrote amazing dark material with real raw emotion. The band as a whole were so talented and they really left a huge mark in the couple years that they put out material. I think that says a lot.
And "Disorder".
BlackBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:47 AM   #36
Molster

Bauhaus definitely for me, like Joy Division and have to agree they are ground breaking but I prefer Bauhaus...
Molster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:34 AM   #37
¡CoMbⒶ✞Er!

Joy Division is better. They're a great band. So is Bauhaus, but Joy Division is much better in my opinion. Their music overall is better and their lyrics are more poetic, thanks to Ian Curtis (R.I.P.)
¡CoMbⒶ✞Er! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #38
Lurcita

I can't choose, i love both, though Peter Murphy is my favorite singer.
Lurcita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #39
Jiangshi

RIP Ian Curtis

Joy Division by far.

Bauhaus has some great covers though - for example I much prefer their versions of "Telegram Sam" and "Ziggy Stardust" to the originals. And Peter Murphy is an awesome vocalist.
Jiangshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #40
Videogirl88

I vote for Bauhaus.
Videogirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote