Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 02-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
BristolBeadz

Representation in the media

Hi! I'm currently in the process of writing a final year dissertation and my main focus for it is on how Goth subculture has developed/changed in terms of how it and its members are represented in the media.

Like most groups and subcultures the media focus almost completely on the surface elements of Goth culture, mainly the music and fashion associated with it. As both these things can be quite surprising to those outside the culture it provides the ideal shock value that the media want.

It's no secret that over the years the mass media have blamed Goth culture for rises in a number of horrible things, self-harm, teen suicide, and performing satanic rituals to name but a few. My research since starting this paper however has revealed to me that the incessant blame-placing doesn't stop there. During the 90s and early 2000s the media placed the blame of some shootings in the USA firmly at the feet of those listening to music associated with Goth culture, most notably the massacre that took place at Columbine High School in 1999.

The reason I'm writing on this forum in particular, and asking for your help, is because whilst my 1st and 2nd chapters explain the basis of subcultural theory and how Goths have been treated by the media in the past, what I'd like to know for my 3rd and final chapter is whether those who consider themselves Goths today believe it has changed at all. If you do think the media are less critical and more educated on Goth culture, why exactly do you think that is? Or vice versa if you think that media coverage hasn't changed. Even challenge me if you believe my depiction of the mass media's relationship with Goth subculture in the past is unfair or skewed. Also any experiences where you've suffered discrimination yourself, whether it be media related or not, for being a Goth and how you dealt with it would be welcome, if you're willing to share of course.

I'm not a Goth or really part of any subculture myself, so really any insight you have for me would be greatly appreciated and go a long way in helping me to write my dissertation.

Thanks,

Josh
BristolBeadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
Alan

You're kind of a decade behind for this topic, aren't you?
For what level of school is this dissertation?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
Versus

I just assumed that I was missing something.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
BristolBeadz

So you think Goths aren't discriminated against or misrepresented in the media at all anymore? Or that Goth subculture simply isn't really around anymore?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolBeadz View Post
So you think Goths aren't discriminated against or misrepresented in the media at all anymore? Or that Goth subculture simply isn't really around anymore?
Who are you asking?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
BristolBeadz

Either of you, or anybody else that may have an opinion on the subject.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #7
AshleyO

Hey guys. Is it possible that brands can make people in meaningful ways? Or is a consumer a consumer is a consumer is a consumer?

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #8
ape descendant

We'll if the brand identity represents and encourages positive things, could be good. Consumerism shouldn't necessarily be bad if it is mindful.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:59 AM   #9
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolBeadz View Post
I don't think that goths were specifically discriminated in the media at any point, really. Although that is my perspective, you have to understand that sometimes people define discrimination very differently.

My understanding is that the subculture exists still in various degrees, but I really don't have the interaction with it to make any statements about that one.

-Breathin, Tupac.