Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:32 AM   #51
ape descendant

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
Very much so.
Who's your favorite symphonic black metal band. I'd like to check them out. Since you hold to your opinion that Dimmu is shit, I'd definately like to see what's better.
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:05 PM   #52
KissMeDeadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
Who's your favorite symphonic black metal band. I'd like to check them out. Since you hold to your opinion that Dimmu is shit, I'd definately like to see what's better.

Second'd. Like I said I'm newish to the genre, and I have to admit Dimmu Borgir was the first thing I'd heard. Even though I've been expanding my music collection I still love them. I think I like symphonic black metal a lot more than anything else, and I'm lacking in that.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:03 PM   #53
Angelic Dissonance

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Goatwhore aren't black metal.

Also, the "religion sucks" message of black metal is one of the worst things about it.
ISN'T black metal. And, they're blacked death metal.

P.S. RELIGION SUCKS IS VIRTUALLY THE ONLY MESSAGE OF BLACK METAL
e.g. church burnings in Norway

1349, Morbid Angel, Dissection, Behemoth is actually also blackened death metal, not that it matters.... Celtic Frost, Venom, a lot of bands I don't remember....

Quote:

Black metal guitarists usually favour high gain guitar tones and abundant distortion. Typically, the guitar is played with much usage of fast tremolo picking. When composing music, guitarists often use scales, intervals and chord progressions that produce the most dissonant, fearful and ominous sounds. Guitar solos and low guitar tunings are a rarity in black metal.

The bass guitar is rarely used to perform independent melodies. It is not uncommon for the bass guitar to be inaudible or to homophonically follow the bass lines of the electric guitar. Typically, drumming is fast-paced and performed using double-bass and/or blast beat techniques; however, it is not unusual for drummers to employ more simplistic techniques.

Black metal compositions commonly deviate from conventional song structure and are often devoid of clear verse-chorus sections. Instead, many black metal songs contain extended and repetitive instrumental sections.

Traditional black metal vocals are in the form of high-pitched shrieks, screams and snarls. This vocal style sharply contrasts with the low-pitched growls of death metal. The majority of black metal vocalists are male, although there are a few notable exceptions.

The most common and founding lyrical theme is opposition to Christianity and other organized religions (described by some as Right-Hand Path religions). As part of this, many artists write lyrics that could be seen to promote atheism, antitheism, paganism and Satanism. Other themes that are commonly explored include depression, nihilism, misanthropy and death. However, in contrast, many modern black metal artists write lyrics that are inspired by the seasons (particularly winter), nature, mythology, folklore, philosophy and fantasy narratives.
That's all, folks.
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #54
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Dissonance View Post

ISN'T black metal. And, they're blacked death metal.

P.S. RELIGION SUCKS IS VIRTUALLY THE ONLY MESSAGE OF BLACK METAL
Nice job, bro, grammar correction followed by grammatical error. I know that you're meant to refer to bands as a singular entity, but I don't.

It's the foremost message in black metal, sure. It's also stupid. Am I meant to enjoy the repatriation message of reggae, too?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:28 PM   #55
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
RELIGION SUCKS IS VIRTUALLY THE ONLY MESSAGE OF BLACK METAL

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:39 PM   #56
ape descendant

... so what sucks about religion sucking? Whats so good about believing in things for which there's no empirical evidence?

And hey, educate me in good symphonic metal... seriously, if there's a symphonic black metal band out there that's better than dimmu, I really want to hear it!!
Old 12-31-2009, 02:39 PM   #57
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
My favorite symphonic stuff:

Obained Enslavement was Pest's side project when he was with Gorgoroth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVDzQi-FSS4

Carach Angren
http://www.myspace.com/carachangren

Another band you might like, I guess they're considered blackened death, is Akercocke:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtMU5W9s7Ss

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
Old 12-31-2009, 02:41 PM   #58
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
... so what sucks about religion sucking? Whats so good about believing in things for which there's no empirical evidence?
Nothing in particular. It's just that a lot of people think your message has to be anti-religion in order to be black metal... It just limits things, and there's tons of great black metal that has nothing to do with religion.

-Mr. Filth
Old 12-31-2009, 02:52 PM   #59
ape descendant

Talking

Quote:
Nothing in particular. It's just that a lot of people think your message has to be anti-religion in order to be black metal... It just limits things, and there's tons of great black metal that has nothing to do with religion.
Awe, it only limits things for people who make a big deal out of it. I seriously doubt that the vast majority of truly talented and dedicated artists worry about something as arbitrary as what subgenre of metal their music would happen to fall in to.

Btw I definately enjoyed Witchcraft, very black metal, dark and melodic, just how I like it.

I am most certainly going to have to delve more deeply into Carach Angren, *wicked grin* You won't like this much... but they kinda sound like dimmu and cradle had a little bastard child.... muy bueno.

Akercocke was pretty cool too. Not my usual fare, however I'm always up to hearing new bands and pushing my tastes. The chick in the vid.. totally hot.

I do appreciate you sharing these bands with me.. its not always easy for me to find new music that I like, as I don't get out much.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:54 PM   #60
PortraitOfSanity

Two blogs you might like then:

Almost exclusively black metal
http://csendhajnal.blogspot.com/

A little bit of everything, plus I'm biased towards it, because I contribute to it:
http://504nola.blogspot.com/

-Mr. Filth
Old 12-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #61
ape descendant

Neato!

So, do you like any operatic metal? I know it's not for every one.. but I dig it.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #62
Angelic Dissonance

I'm not seeing my own grammatical error. I would actually appreciate the enlightenment--nothing wrong with being wrong.
But it is a prominent theme, no? I'm sure you didn't think I was imposing limits here-- I was only illustrating the condition of things, so to speak.
Rap isn't all sex and drugs and violence. Not ALL. And Rock isn't all getting drunk+laid, and Punk isn't all anarchy, and Goth isn't all death.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:02 PM   #63
PortraitOfSanity

@ape: A little. My girlfriend listens to a lot of Epica. It's kind of one of those things where if it's on, I won't turn it off, but I wouldn't turn it on either, unless I was really in the right mood.

-Mr. Filth
Old 12-31-2009, 03:03 PM   #64
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
ISN'T black metal.
@Angelic: Incomplete sentence.

-Mr. Filth
Old 12-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #65
ape descendant

Yeah... epica's.. ok.. they do sound alot like evanassence ... and they're ok too.

I'm more of a Tristania, Therion, Abmerian Dawn and Nightwish kinda girl.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:08 PM   #66
PortraitOfSanity

I used to listen to Nightwish actually, but then they fired Tarja, and I honestly haven't even bothered listening to their stuff with the new singer.

Her voice kinda made the band as far as I'm concerned, so I can't see myself liking them with a different singer.

-Mr. Filth
Old 12-31-2009, 03:14 PM   #67
ape descendant

Yeah. I'm a big Tarja fan as well. I do enjoy her solo projects.. However of their new stuff I did enjoy The Islander.

You like any folk-ish music that's not metal?
Old 12-31-2009, 03:20 PM   #68
PortraitOfSanity

I like a good amount of folk music, especially Middle-Eastern, Indian and Irish. I don't have a very large collection outside of folk metal, however.

-Mr. Filth
Old 12-31-2009, 03:31 PM   #69
ape descendant

You may enjoy Hedningarna and Gjallarhorn...
Old 12-31-2009, 03:47 PM   #70
JCC

Quote:
Why do we need empirical evidence to believe something? This smug anti-religion crusade worshipping at the altar of empiricism is preposterous, and only a fool would state that all a priori reasoning is void. That's not what bothers me terribly, though, it's the hammy and ridiculous delivery of such stupid reasoning that really gets me. When black metal talks about religion, it becomes like when Green Day talk about politics.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:49 PM   #71
PortraitOfSanity

It's just too overdone nowadays. It went from shocking to cliche really fast.

-Mr. Filth
Old 12-31-2009, 04:06 PM   #72
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
You may enjoy Hedningarna and Gjallarhorn...
I liked both, gonna have to listen to it more.

You might like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxmcMT0YuW8

They're Black/Death with a little Middle Eastern folk mixed in, pretty cool.

-Mr. Filth
Old 12-31-2009, 04:10 PM   #73
PortraitOfSanity

Oh, and of course, everything by Moonsorrow...

-Mr. Filth
Old 12-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #74
ape descendant

Totally, I definately have a thing for any music with a good double bass going on.

... BTW....you're a lady skwisgar!!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:23 PM   #75
Angelic Dissonance

Quote:
@Angelic: Incomplete sentence.
I know the dif. I did that on purpose, for personality reasons. Therefore, it was not in error. No Big Deal, though. Thank you.