Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Soulbinder

A Goth is Here

As a writer of Gothic Horror I have followed Gothic.net a long, long time, but never felt the need to post here.
But, now that I have made my first post, I would consider it in bad taste not to introduce myself.

I have never been much of a follower, but I'll follow by the numbers so as not to be rude:
1. Jack-of-all-trades master of some.

2. Hard question to answer, I live in New York right now, but I never stay in one place for long, and I was not born here. I'd have to say I'm from many different places.

3. The list of my favorite authors is pretty long, it is easier to say, Elric is my favorite book.

4. Anything that couldn't possibly be real.

5. Having been down that road I'd have to say Taps (just kidding, truthfully I don't know).

6. This is an easy one; Remember Tomorrow by Iron Maiden and Falling Off the Edge of the World by Black Sabbath.

7. After having personally faced death on more than a few occasions, an in many different guises; either suddenly in battle or in my sleep. Either way I'd prefer not to see him coming again.

8. Forget the casket, burn my empty shell like my pagan forefathers, let the worms find food elsewhere.

9. Anything Black and/or made of leather.

10. Again not an easy question, it's hard to remember that far back. I'd have to say, peace of mind.

11. Once again that's a hard one to answer, the list is long. Better to tell you my three favorite songs; Veteran of the Psychic Wars (the words closely resemble me), The Rite of Spring (preferably on pipe-organ), and Permafrost.

12. Experience.

13. Believe it or not to be saved, HA HA! But now that I've started posting here, I think I may stay a while.

14. Male.

Now that the formalities are over (I hope I didn't go to far off course), time for the real story:

The tale of my life is unbelievable and for the most part fantastically dark. If I were to write it all down, it would rival almost every book of fiction I have ever read.
As an example I'll tell you this; I have no common bloodline, and as such I have no fear, I hate strangers (which is why I haven't posted on this forum before now), and when I think of the Carpathians they whisper to me (calling me).
I don't shun the light, but have spent most of my life among the shadows, and have been hidden in the darkness for so long, it is there that I feel most comfortable.

Having just reread what I have said so far, I have to laugh at how much like a vampire I sound. So, let me point out, I am not one. Would that I were, then at least my crazy life would have an explanation.

That's enough for a proper intro I think, so I'll close with this; I look forward to meeting you all.

P.S. Flamers, feel free! Even the outcast have cast me out, and I have been through hell. Think you can do more?
Soulbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Believe me, we were never at risk of mistaking you for a vampire....more likely we would have mistaken you for a hipster. So tell me, what goth music do you listen to?

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Soulbinder

More like a rocker, but I do love Changeling.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Renatus

You didn't answer my question.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 06-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Soulbinder

Then you never heard of Changeling, also on number 11, I mean the song not the band.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
Renatus

I asked what Goth music you listen to, not what music you listen to.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Soulbinder

If Permafrost isn't dark enough for you. Then maybe you should tell me what is, I never was much of a follower or a drone following after name brands.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbinder View Post
If Permafrost isn't dark enough for you. Then maybe you should tell me what is, I never was much of a follower or a drone following after name brands.
Where to start.

First off, we don't care how "Dark" you think something is, dark does not equal goth. As I seem to be saying more and more often, if black clothes and tortured souls made people goths, then the Catholic priesthood would be the gothiest organization on earth (and I say that as a Catholic).

What music is goth? Gothic Rock, it's the genre that got goth started in the first place, and without it, goth would not exist. The fact that you seem to have no clue as to that fact, indicates to me that you are in fact a poseur. You can't be a goth if you haven't even heard(or heard of) gothic rock, the standard to be a goth is that you have to enjoy it but at this point thats out of the question. Not trying to crush your dreams(and not all hope is lost) or anything, just stating facts.

I even tried to tip you off with the comment "more likely we would have mistaken you for a hipster", because the first thing I did when I came across your profile was look up the songs you mentioned (not easy to do when you don't mention who played them but I found it on youtube nonetheless), and what I heard was what would appear to be hipster music, but most certainly NOT gothic rock.

Now there is the possibility that I was wrong about which permafrost you meant, the one I assume you meant was the one by a band apparently named "Laurena". You could quite possibly have meant permafrost by magazine which is post-punk, which while still not goth, is a hell of a lot closer as post punk is what you could say an ancestor of goth. But somehow I suspect that is not the case.

With that in mind there is still a chance for you to be a goth. Go check out some of the bands listed in the gothic rock section of wikipedia, or if you're lazy and just want some basics to start with check out the The Sisters of Mercy, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, and Siouxsie and the Banshees.

If you like it, congrats, you qualify as a goth, please fill out this liability form, and don't drink the coolaid it's been spiked...... with sugar.... infact it's a bowl of sugar dyed red(we ran out of water so we tried substituting sugar for water... bob's in a diabetic coma now, and he was healthier than an Olympian before he took a sip of the coolaid). If you don't like it, don't worry, nothing to cry about, you're just not cut out to be a goth, you can still dress however you want and do whatever you were doing before, you just can't call yourself a goth anymore. In fact you can even still stay here, plenty of people here aren't goths.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
Soulbinder

Sorry, I have to go, but I look forward to taking this up tomorrow. As for Bauhaus, I was probably listening to them before you.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Saya

Yeah, Ren, not every new person needs a huge lecture on what is and isn't goth.

And I'd say a good chunk of us here would be labeled hipsters now anyway.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
Pineapple_Juice

Someone let out the P word. I have to go reframe my goth certificate now, i'm feeling insecure.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
Versus

I joined because I like gothic fiction. The music was just a coincidence. Who cares?
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #13
ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Where to start.

First off, we don't care how "Dark" you think something is, dark does not equal goth. As I seem to be saying more and more often, if black clothes and tortured souls made people goths, then the Catholic priesthood would be the gothiest organization on earth (and I say that as a Catholic).
Shit, between the black dresses and crosses I thought they were.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
Xombie

Chill out, Renatus. Nobody here is really threatening your cute little subculture that you are trying so very hard to protect. Does your argument go in the other direction? As in, I really like gothic rock, but does that automatically make me a goth if I don't want to be called one?

Welcome, Soulbinder.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Where to start.

If you like it, congrats, you qualify as a goth, please fill out this liability form, and don't drink the coolaid it's been spiked...... with sugar.... infact it's a bowl of sugar dyed red(we ran out of water so we tried substituting sugar for water... bob's in a diabetic coma now, and he was healthier than an Olympian before he took a sip of the coolaid). If you don't like it, don't worry, nothing to cry about, you're just not cut out to be a goth, you can still dress however you want and do whatever you were doing before, you just can't call yourself a goth anymore. In fact you can even still stay here, plenty of people here aren't goths.
I couldn't help but laugh at the entire post. You really need to learn that there isn't a strict criteria for being goth.
I think you're being quite selfish and stuck-up, like you're trying to cut down the numbers of goth because you want to feel special.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
Soulbinder

Thank You, Saya, Pineapple_juice, Versus, Ape Descendant, Xombie and Cannon. I offered my hand in friendship and you took it in fellowship. Now please excuse me, while I take up where me and Renatus left off. I hope I don't offend you with my words, but I have to get them out.

I could give you what you want, Renatus, but I won't. Then again I did throw down the gauntlet, didn't I. So maybe I will, ha ha.
My first inclination was to tell you my favorite Goth bands and what I think is the best Goth movie ever (not Underworld), but your intentions were clear from the start. So it would have been pointless.
Any hipster could google the very bands you mentioned and prance them around in parade, to 'fit in'.
Understand, I will not try to fit into your perfect little world. I refuse to try and squeeze myself into your perfectly defined little box.
I was mildly entertained when you pulled out the old and tired preacher line, while you, Reverend, spouted your purest rhetoric.
If it makes you feel better, feel free to call me poser. I promise it won't hurt my feelings. Poser indeed, ha ha.

Now, Reverend Renatus, hear Goth's sermon!
I, who was a part of the Goth Scene before most even knew what it was, back when you were barely out of diapers if even born yet, offered the hand of friendship. One who has written Gothic Horror so frightening that it has laterally scared grown adults silly.
Instead of taking it in fellowship, you set it on fire, to see what would happen. How insulting.

Poser? Everyone here is a poser! The Goths were proud and fierce warriors, who not only spawned the Amazons, but did the impossible and sacked Rome. They didn't sit around talking of death. They jumped into its very jaws and dared it to try and take them. Tell me boy, what are you compared to them?

Another thing not in the numbers, I am very passionate.

Now, I once again offer my hand in fellowship, will you not take it?

On a lighter note, Renatus, what makes you think a vampire can't be a hipster?
Old 06-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #17
Murder.Of.Crows

I don't like this guy.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #18
Soulbinder

Don't feel bad, neither does Renatus or the rest of the world. Truth is hated.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
ape descendant

Erm... its not truth that's hated, mostly peeps who be "gawffer than thou".

M.O.C. tends to be quite reasonable, if she didn't like me I think I'd cry.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #20
Renegade Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
I don't like this guy.
I agree, he sounds a tad too passive aggressive and pretentious. He needs to learn not to take himself so seriously. Soulbinder, you need to lighten up dude.
Renegade Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #21
Murder.Of.Crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Angel View Post
I agree, he sounds a tad too passive aggressive and pretentious. He needs to learn not to take himself so seriously. Soulbinder, you need to lighten up dude.
Exactly this. I mean, you seem like you could be cool, but this whole "I am so Goth" attitude drives me insane.

Ape Descendant: You just made my day.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #22
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
I couldn't help but laugh at the entire post. You really need to learn that there isn't a strict criteria for being goth.
Actually, there is.

Renatus wasn't wrong, just overzealous.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #23
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
Ape Descendant: You just made my day.
I keep forgetting.I'm sorry. D:
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #24
Soulbinder

I'm afraid you are all correct, I was an ass. Please forgive me.

I just got over excited.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #25
shadowynne

hng! im with renatus on this one...

soulbinder your trying waaay too hard. and dont give that im older than you bollocks because i doubt you are... and lets see some of this "Gothic Horror so frightening that it has laterally scared grown adults silly." which thinking about it doesnt take much really... ive seen grown men gibber like fools over tiny spiders, hell i even once saw a grown man piss himself because a butterfly landed on him... so yeah i guess you might be able to write something scarier than butterflies...if you manage to not fill me with boredom and disdain with one of your stories i might even send you a pressie in the post.

and sweet puks twitching sphincter you better of washed that hand first...
shadowynne is offline   Reply With Quote