Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #26
korinna5555

Growing up.. you should try that sometime.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #27
Underwater Ophelia

Oh, you mean like how I have a job, pay bills, go to school, and take care of myself?
You mean that kind of growing up?

Or do you mean the kind where you get pregnant from someone who dropped out of highschool and sells drugs? Did you mean that kind?

And yes, that was a fucked up thing to say, but don't YOU ever fucking tell me to grow up.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #28
korinna5555

Resorting to saying something that cruel just goes to show how immature you are.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #29
Underwater Ophelia

It's not cruel, it's just true.
And even if it were cruel, that wouldn't make it immature. Just cruel.

Besides, I thought you were happy with your life.
If you were, why would me pointing that kind of thing out bother you at all?

Seriously, I'm not even trying to hurt you, I'm making a point. Get a job, stop doing drugs, and make something of yourself.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #30
Xombie

Oh man. Shut up, both of you. Korinna, you're not a hippie. Opheliaaa, you're too hyper. :]
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #31
Underwater Ophelia

I do feel bad about saying that, but seriously...I fucking said I didn't want to fight, and was definitely antagonized, and I even PMed her to try to end this crap.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #32
Lugosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Oh, you mean like how I have a job, pay bills, go to school, and take care of myself?
You mean that kind of growing up?

Or do you mean the kind where you get pregnant from someone who dropped out of highschool and sells drugs? Did you mean that kind?

And yes, that was a fucked up thing to say, but don't YOU ever fucking tell me to grow up.
I don't know why you seem to think you know things that, in reality, you haven't got a clue about. I've never done a thing to you, and as far as I know, neither has Korinna. So maybe you should stop with the judgmental, uninformed statements and get over yourself. Just a suggestion.

You have so many facts wrong it's not even funny.
Lugosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #33
Stormtrooper of Death

Here here! Beers all around!! People can be very stupid sometimes, but other times they can be smart. Now for some GI, pogo you fuckers!!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #34
Lugosi

No beer for me; I can't stand the stuff.

But on the other hand, I wouldn't turn down a glass of Lagavulin single malt scotch.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #35
Stormtrooper of Death

Well, one of those to you sir. I prefer schnapps.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #36
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I used to participate in anti-war sit-ins in junior high, and then in high school checked the draft lottery every week to see if my birthday was picked, so that even though I wasn't old enough, my friends and I would all know "wow, I would have been dead in a few months.". We had calendars that marked the days until Nixon was out of office. I had long hair down to my shoulders and smoked. But I wasn't a hippie. I lived in Irvine before it was incorporated into a city, a very conservative part of Orange County. We were hypocrites. The real hippies scared everyone, because they had nothing to lose, and were betting their lives to make changes. They wanted to dismantle "The Establishment" (wow, that felt weird saying that after almost 40 years), of which Irvine was mostly comprised.

But you know what? Most real hippies of that time were gentle, peace loving folk and went to church and believed in God. They prayed.

(sits back and reflects on his teenage years...)

Wow. The Establishment. Now I are one.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #37
Solumina

I must say that I am sick as fuck of people saying that there are no hippies anymore, there are, just like goth the subculture has changed a bit over the years and most of it is now under ground but it is still there. I am not a hippie, not by a long shot, but fuck if I'm not friends with a few
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #38
Underwater Ophelia

So...you know people who are fighting for the boys to come home from Vietnam and burning their bras for women's rights?

Call a shrink?
Old 03-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #39
korinna5555

Anyone been to the Batcave lately?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:26 PM   #40
Solumina

Quote:
So...you know people who are fighting for the boys to come home from Vietnam and burning their bras for women's rights?

Call a shrink?
I know people who are fighting to get our boys home from Iraq and sacrificing quite a lot for woman's liberation. As I said the subculture, or counterculture as it may be, has changed but the same ideals and values are still there.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 03-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #41
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555
Anyone been to the Batcave lately?
Only because I'm Batman.

But seriously, 'hippies' were the proponents of a massive movement that developed directly from the American society and culture as it was during the period of that movement's prominence. Their emergence was a natural result of the prevailing mentality among the youth of that time, one engendered by the Vietnam war, the abuses of the Nixon administration, and an institutionalized racism the likes of which our generation can barely conceive. Eventually, of course, the Vietnam war ended, the government- for better or worse- regained at least a modicum of the populace's trust, and governmental bias against minorities was reduced such that it's now less blatantly inflammatory- thus, the hippie was, in a way, obsolesced.

This is clearly different from goth, a music subculture. Our scene still exists because people still appreciate the music, and contributions to the genre, regardless of their quality, are still being made. There are no more hippies because the climate which conduced and sustained their existence has ceased to be.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:47 AM   #42
Lugosi

Quote:

Call a shrink?
It would appear you employ a very poor, Era-specific definition of "Hippie". What grounds do you have for this?

You either need to defend your opinion, or shut up.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:55 AM   #43
Lugosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Only because I'm Batman.

But seriously, 'hippies' were the proponents of a massive movement that developed directly from the American society and culture as it was during the period of that movement's prominence. Their emergence was a natural result of the prevailing mentality among the youth of that time, one engendered by the Vietnam war, the abuses of the Nixon administration, and an institutionalized racism the likes of which our generation can barely conceive. Eventually, of course, the Vietnam war ended, the government- for better or worse- regained at least a modicum of the populace's trust, and governmental bias against minorities was reduced such that it's now less blatantly inflammatory- thus, the hippie was, in a way, obsolesced.

This is clearly different from goth, a music subculture. Our scene still exists because people still appreciate the music, and contributions to the genre, regardless of their quality, are still being made. There are no more hippies because the climate which conduced and sustained their existence has ceased to be.
Quite technically, the term Hippie came from "hipster" and referred to people who held counter-cultural values similar to those of the Beats. You speak only of what they did, not what they are/were.

And I'm not a hippie or a goth.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:51 AM   #44
Magila

Welcome back girl.
Magila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #45
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugosi
Quite technically, the term Hippie came from "hipster" and referred to people who held counter-cultural values similar to those of the Beats. You speak only of what they did, not what they are/were.
No. Sure, the word 'hippie' is derived from 'hipster', but its use refers to the members of the youth movement which was preeminent in the United States during the 1960s and early 1970's.
As I said, what hippies did defined what they were. Their emergence was, in essence, a response to a certain state of affairs, and when that state changed, the subculture gradually died out, degenerating into a shadow of its former self- a bunch of stoned, jobless college students wearing tye-dye and hemp they purchased for 60 of their parents' dollars, possessed of no revolutionary impulse whatsoever.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #46
korinna5555

Magila, thank you.

Maximus, replace Vietnam with Iraq, Nixon with Bush..
There's plenty of discrimination to go around (STILL)
I appreciate a healthy environment, and contribute to political activism, so though Goth may be about the music, the principles are the same - I am still supporting a movement that I care about.
AND LIKE I SAID: IT'S JUST A TERM USED (half in jest) TO DESCRIBE ME ACCURATELY IN A NUTSHELL WITHOUT GOING ON AND ON AND ON. But whatever..

I now proclaim myself the official antiestablishment-pacifist-environmentalist-activist-commune loving-artist-musician-yaddaya of this board.
I'm sure everyone will prefer antiestablishment-pacifist-environmentalist-activist-commune loving-artist-musician-yaddaya.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #47
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
the subculture gradually died out, degenerating into a shadow of its former self- a bunch of stoned, jobless college students wearing tye-dye and hemp they purchased for 60 of their parents' dollars, possessed of no revolutionary impulse whatsoever.
Like how Goths turned into gun-toting Mansonites?
Old 03-07-2008, 04:42 PM   #48
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555

Maximus, replace Vietnam with Iraq, Nixon with Bush..
There's plenty of discrimination to go around (STILL)
Iraq is no Vietnam, and even Bush is no Nixon. The climate now just isn't equatable to the climate of that era. After Watergate, Captain fucking America RENOUNCED HIS COUNTRY and became "Nomad". Those kids thought they might have to go to war with their own parents. If the status quo now was at all comparable to what it was then, the 'hippie' movement would still be thriving.

Quote:
Like how Goths turned into gun-toting Mansonites?
Sort of, except there are still real goths because music subcultures survive as long as people appreciate the music. Social movements like 'Hippies' can only survive as long as the zeitgeist is conducive to their existence.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #49
Solumina

um...Bush is no Nixon? Yeah he has more followers and smarter people pulling the strings, just because people don't know all of the administrations secrets doesn't mean they aren't there, hell most of the people who have worked closely with the federal government know that Bush has done more harm to the presidency and to our freedom than Nixon did (just thought I would throw that out there). As the child of a very active hippie I know that the movement hasn't died and that most of the causes that they fought for are still being fought, ending the war in Vietnam wasn't the only thing they worked for, it was just the most televised.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 03-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #50
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
um...Bush is no Nixon? Yeah he has more followers and smarter people pulling the strings, just because people don't know all of the administrations secrets doesn't mean they aren't there, hell most of the people who have worked closely with the federal government know that Bush has done more harm to the presidency and to our freedom than Nixon did (just thought I would throw that out there).
I'm not saying Bush is a better president. He just manages to avoid upsetting people on the same level that Nixon did.

Quote:
As the child of a very active hippie I know that the movement hasn't died
So, it's just like... hiding, then?

Quote:
and that most of the causes that they fought for are still being fought, ending the war in Vietnam wasn't the only thing they worked for, it was just the most televised.
Opposing the Vietnam war was certainly their primary occupation. True, some of the other, more abstruse and long-term causes they adopted are still championed by some, but these individuals are more conventional activists than 'hippies'.