Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 11-21-2005, 02:50 PM   #26
MrMaelstrom

I wouldn't mind so much that people droped by and argued the validity of their points a bit better before giving up and calling us all prejudiced or conformists, of geeks and dweebs as a reason for the dismissal of their points, instead of their own fragility.

Especially when no real flaming has sparked off yet (by G.net standards of course - which to the rest of the internet its called "mild roast").

Its frustrating because I'm confronted by real inteligent arguements posted by regular members in order to reply to real points with frail backing (when there was real backing to the original arguements).

These people come, bring up what might be interesting issues. Completely lose all perspective regarding their arguements and try to prove instead the validity of their persona and leave when the arguement might get interesting.

fuck it...
Old 11-21-2005, 03:33 PM   #27
Matr

Wait, so let me get this straight. Cinka, in his/her second post, stated, "non-conforming...not to conform?". Last time I checked, being yourself, and liking what you like, whether it conformed with normal social standards, or not, was non-conformity?
Matr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:41 PM   #28
Matr

So, if there is no thing such as non-comformity, then how is it, that you are able to obtain a sense of being "Different", from everyone else? I'm not saying conformity is bad, but if we cannot not conform, then how do we feel different?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:45 PM   #29
rockandrose

Matr, name one person who you consider as a non-conformist!

Like Xng said, non-conformity does not exist!
Old 11-21-2005, 03:46 PM   #30
Matr

I can't really name someone who isn't a non-conformist..Huh. So if there is no way to be different, when why do we feel different?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:48 PM   #31
rockandrose

Every single person is DIFFERENT.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:52 PM   #32
rockandrose

We are all human beings which makes us the same, but certain aspects of a person such as personality-wise is varies from person to person.

In general, we are all different and to say that one person is more 'different' than the other is rubbish
Old 11-21-2005, 04:46 PM   #33
~Nix Nightingale~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandrose
We are all human beings which makes us the same, but certain aspects of a person such as personality-wise is varies from person to person.

In general, we are all different and to say that one person is more 'different' than the other is rubbish
I like that. Seriously to me it all boils down to the wise words of Popeye the Sailor Man... "I am what I am, and thats all that I am."

I broke myself, shattered, tied a bow around every piece, you'll love the eyes. Have they always shown so vacantly? The more I show the less you'll want to know. I can't stop the insects that are feeding, pull the needles from beneath my skin.... ~ A Fire Inside ~
~Nix Nightingale~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:54 PM   #34
secretboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandrose
Every single person is DIFFERENT.
"Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

-Fight Club
Old 11-21-2005, 05:16 PM   #35
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinka
People are telling ME to do my research? Yikes. Jane, it's not important how long I've been in the scene, what I do, and how I promote it's genuineness (cause I do), but, respectfully, you don't know what you're talking about.
There is indeed a style of music called "New Romantic". Ever hear of Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Blancmange, Soft Cell, OMD, Japan, Modern English? Or do you refer to them simply as 80's bands? Sorry, that was rude.
Alright, you have me in the second part of your post- I accept that there is a style of music called New Romantic, but I maintain that the subculture is older than the musical style.

What you said wasn't rude at all, and I hadn't intended to some off as rude, but my post retained a rather snarky edge due to inner turmoil on this site... and the suspision that you might have been one of these people who is incredibly polar about things like Future Pop vs Aggro Industrial based on nothing but opinion.

The music and clothing are things that goths do, not things that we are. Again, do you not understand that there must be an audience and an artist, or even just an artist acting as their own audience before there can be art? It's not a chicken and the egg type question. Art that does not occur in nature had to come from somewhere, and the artist didn't just find their art on their doorstep one day.

*goths* created the *music*, *music* did not create the *goths*.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:01 AM   #36
MrMaelstrom

There is no neo-romantic movement anymore. Nor is there Avantguarde, Death Rock, New Wave, Post-Punk, Underground or Dark.

Now, it's called gothic.

There was such a thing as Indie in the early 90's. It's gone. It's now mainstream and called something else.

Things don't change that much. they're just given new labels. Most of these things, along with a lot of metal influenced music, have been called gothic in the early 90's.

They had different names before, and I wouldn't be surprised if they change again soon.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:58 PM   #37
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
My sister is teh awesome.... I love Janey!
Aw, thankies Sis! I think Mister and Manimal(so good to see you around again, by the way) were better at expressing their ideas... I'm just obnoxious about it 'cause I'm young
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 11-23-2005, 03:13 PM   #38
Manimal

THank you sweet cheeks. No go clean your room like I done tolded you!
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 04:38 PM   #39
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
THank you sweet cheeks. No go clean your room like I done tolded you!
Wow! You're psychic! My mom just told me to do the same thing.
-Cinema Strange
Old 11-23-2005, 05:12 PM   #40
mortalitas incomitatus

i think you guys scared off cinka, she/he/it seems to have ran away with it's tail between its legs

*another eliter*
mortalitas incomitatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:46 PM   #41
Nardol

On the subject of better music; does anyone else like appalachian/irish folk?
Nardol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:48 PM   #42
rockandrose

I haven't heard anything from that sub-genre.

An example of a band?
Old 11-25-2005, 05:24 PM   #43
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardol
On the subject of better music; does anyone else like appalachian/irish folk?
Hm...I've never heard any of that, but I've been listeining to a lot of slavic neo-folk and folk lately.
-Cinema Strange