Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
MariusCesar

One-armed presenter is scaring children

A disabled CBeebies presenter has been the victim of a disturbing campaign after parents complained that she was scaring toddlers.

They claimed that host Cerrie Burnell - who was born with one arm - is not suitable to appear on the digital children's channel.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-tell-BBC.html

This is fucken sad.

Marius
MariusCesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Alarica

It is sad. I agree. All the kids I've known over the years arent bothered by disability or skin colour. They naturally accept and some will ask about what they see. I think this is parents being arseholes.

I was a vegetarian until I lost my virginity, and a wise man said to me 'do you not feel guilty now, having had all that meat inside you?'
Alarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Tam Li Hua

I get the feeling that she freaks the parents out more than the kids; if their children are scared, it's only because the parents insist on acting weird! >_<

I wonder what they do when they take their kids to the grocery store and there's a man with no legs in a wheelchair. Do they throw a blanket over the kid's head?? It's absolutely ridiculous!
Old 02-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
Necrophagist

Man, those parents are lame.

I am the Antiproduct!

There is, they say, no fool like an old fool - Golding.

" All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting." - Orwell.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Godslayer Jillian

I'm glad that these parents are doing something about it. Maybe they're taking it a little too far, but it's good them making a solid decision one way or another.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
I'm glad that these parents are doing something about it. Maybe they're taking it a little too far, but it's good them making a solid decision one way or another.
I agree. I mean, starting a campaign against her seems like a bit much, but yeah. They've gotta do SOMETHING.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #7
girasol

I think they need to see people with disabilities. They can find out that not everyone is going to be just like them with healthy bodies, 2 arms and 2 legs.
I will never ask why a friend of mine has only a quarter of an arm. I don't care. It fascinates me how she gets dressed into the things she does but it seems to be the first question people ask me if I ever mention her name
'One armed Deb'
How come she has one arm? I don't know. How long have you known her for? Quite a while...

I think that if little kids are aware that people can have disabilities and birth defects then they can also learn that it is rude or offensive to loudly point out that someone is ugly or looks funny when they get on a bus or a train.
If they freak out because of a show then change the channel or explain that they aren't going to lose an arm just from watching it.

Some kids are afraid of everything for no reason. Some of them can't watch winnie the pooh when those heffalump things ? are chasing pooh.
Some can watch anything.
girasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:10 AM   #8
Alarica

Quote:
Originally Posted by girasol
Some kids are afraid of everything for no reason. Some of them can't watch winnie the pooh when those heffalump things ? are chasing pooh.
My eldests friend freaked out and burst into hysterical tears watching chitty chitty bang bang when she was 11. The bit where the kids get taken away by the man with the big nose.

I was a vegetarian until I lost my virginity, and a wise man said to me 'do you not feel guilty now, having had all that meat inside you?'
Old 02-25-2009, 01:29 AM   #9
gothicusmaximus

Doesn't Sesame Street feature a fucking vampire? A shambling, animate corpse that feeds on the blood of the living is cool, but an armless chick is too much?
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:13 AM   #10
Alarica

Exactly! Kids are exposed to people of a range of abilities walking round the shops for crying out loud. For all it's other issues, my kids school is the only integrated primary school here, and they have a few kids in wheelchairs amongst others. The kids actually adapt their games to include these kids, or play games they can easily join in with - including P.E sessions. It doesnt hurt them, and this presenter doesn't wave her partially missing limb, in the camera. She presents like all the others (obviously I've seen it - what with having a small child and all). My son did ask about her having 'no hand', and I told him she was born this way. Now he's curious how she does things he does, with only 1 hand. I think it does them good to be exposed to things different to their personal norm. Christ, I bet these parents let their kids watch shite like power rangers, because pretending you can envoke the spirit of a lion and beat people up is so normal.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 AM   #11
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarica
Exactly! Kids are exposed to people of a range of abilities walking round the shops for crying out loud. For all it's other issues, my kids school is the only integrated primary school here, and they have a few kids in wheelchairs amongst others. The kids actually adapt their games to include these kids, or play games they can easily join in with - including P.E sessions. It doesnt hurt them, and this presenter doesn't wave her partially missing limb, in the camera. She presents like all the others (obviously I've seen it - what with having a small child and all). My son did ask about her having 'no hand', and I told him she was born this way. Now he's curious how she does things he does, with only 1 hand. I think it does them good to be exposed to things different to their personal norm. Christ, I bet these parents let their kids watch shite like power rangers, because pretending you can envoke the spirit of a lion and beat people up is so normal.

What the fuck power rangers used dinosaurs.
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:35 AM   #12
Alarica

They use a lion now, and fuck knows what the others are. My lot had it on the other morning and I turned it off. Just looked it up, think it was power rangers jungle fury. It's still shite.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:47 AM   #13
Wednesday Friday Addams

I loved them as a child.
Don't make me beat you up with T-rex power.
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:54 AM   #14
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarica
My son did ask about her having 'no hand', and I told him she was born this way. Now he's curious how she does things he does, with only 1 hand. I think it does them good to be exposed to things different to their personal norm. Christ, I bet these parents let their kids watch shite like power rangers, because pretending you can envoke the spirit of a lion and beat people up is so normal.
I agree. The first time I noticed black people, I had questions about it too. If parents can't explain stuff like this, then there's something seriously wrong.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:03 AM   #15
Alarica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday Friday Addams
I loved them as a child.
Don't make me beat you up with T-rex power.
In the words of my cousin (when he was little) "psshh psshh I'm gonna power range you". You would win. The T-rex is mighty!

Old 02-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #16
Apathy's_Child

In their rush to protect children from the horrors of disability, the do-gooders have left out one group: the disabled kids themselves. How fucking awesome for them to turn on the TV and see someone with a very visible disability doing their job in the public eye.

Still, can't have the little angels asking questions - god knows, you might actually be forced to act like a parent and ANSWER them. Where will it end? Next thing they'll want to know where babies come from.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #17
PortraitOfSanity

Fucking limeys, I told you they were no good!

I'd totally tap that, she could get helluva kinky with that stump.

Plus, anything that's supposedly harming children is fine by me.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:36 PM   #18
Alatariel

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post

Plus, anything that's supposedly harming children is fine by me.
LOL

I don't see how she was scaring the kids. I mean, what if they see someone out on the street or whatever that has a disability? Are they going to be scared then? I think it's the parents that are uncomfortable that someone with only one arm is actually doing their job and is visible to the public.

Or, maybe they just don't want to talk to their kids and actually explain things....whatever.
Alatariel is offline   Reply With Quote