Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 11-18-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
Opteron_Man

What is weed like?

I keep hearing about people who are consuming it.
What I was curious is; what is it like? Why do people smoke it or bake it into things and eat it? What is the appeal?

I had heard that there was a hemp fest here where I live, but I didn't go.
Now what is this hemp? Or weed? Are they different or one and the same?

Sorry I am dull about this. My dad has been smoking this stuff all of his adult life. He uses some stuff called "oil", "hash", "weed".

Sorry again for asking, I know I could google it, but I would prefer a human response.

I don't want to use any drug whatsoever, I was just curious.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
Tam Li Hua

Wait...your dad has used it all his life, but you still don't know what it does..? Seems to me that he'd be the best person for you to ask, unless the two of you don't get along for some reason.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
Mir

Or, for fear that his dad is going to turn out to be a hypocrite, and not fully dispense all the information/experiences he has accumulated.

People that smoke will be all for weed, whilst those that don't will mostly hate it and/or hate those that do smoke. With weed, the opinions are fairly polarized. You really need to look it up for yourself.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
Or, for fear that his dad is going to turn out to be a hypocrite, and not fully dispense all the information/experiences he has accumulated.
Mm, good point, Mir.

Personally, I don't think 'weed' is a great thing to be addicted to, since it slows you down mentally waaay more than cigarettes do. I think that's why folks don't like it much.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man
What I was curious is; what is it like? Why do people smoke it or bake it into things and eat it? What is the appeal?

Sorry I am dull about this. My dad has been smoking this stuff all of his adult life. He uses some stuff called "oil", "hash", "weed".

Sorry again for asking, I know I could google it, but I would prefer a human response.

I don't want to use any drug whatsoever, I was just curious.
Describe what an orgasm feels like to someone who has never had one.

Quite difficult isn't it?
Sir. Helpmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
Despanan

Well, it effects different people differently.

I'd say generally you get a feeling of euphoria, and you generally don't want to move or do much, just kinda sit there. Usually you get hungry right after smoking it.

Personally, weed usually makes me want to go to sleep, though if I have too much I feel sick to my stomach and it feels like I'm spinning when I close my eyes.

Basically it's a mild hallucinogen with some depressant qualities. Some people really REALLY like it. I prefer alcohol, but I'll smoke weed if it's there.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #7
Mir

Not all strains of marijuana and hashish have hallucinogens. I really wanted to point that one out.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
Maggoty Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir. Helpmann
Describe what an orgasm feels like to someone who has never had one.

Quite difficult isn't it?
An orgasm is better than weed any day. And it doesn't cost $20 a pop unless you visit cheap whores.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
Eclipsing the Son

It's wonderful. Though I recommend you try heroine or meth first.
Eclipsing the Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #10
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
Not all strains of marijuana and hashish have hallucinogens. I really wanted to point that one out.
Marijuana IS a hallucinogen. It's a very mild one, but that's the family of drug it belongs to, even though legally it's considered a narcotic.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #11
Tam Li Hua

In essence, it looks like the same thing as any other drug or alcohol: a way to escape reality.

Personally, I use computer and console games; they don't make you sick to your stomach, and you are still able to think clearly when you are finished with them. [Though I did have a weird dream about my Death Knight in WoW last night........]
Old 11-18-2008, 02:14 PM   #12
Eclipsing the Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan
Marijuana IS a hallucinogen. It's a very mild one, but that's the family of drug it belongs to, even though legally it's considered a narcotic.
I'm going to back you up on this because people are obviously going to try to discredit you.

THC is actually a chemical much like LSD. The effects of it are just very mild by comparison. The psychological and visual dementia caused by both drugs can range from the altering of the mood to recognizing things that aren't there. If you smoke enough strong pot you can see geometric shapes and experience an illusion of facial recognition in inanimate objects that are common in an LSD trip.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:58 PM   #13
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man
There's only one way to find out. Try it yourself. (I'm not encouraging you to try it, merely pointing out that trying it is the only way to know.)

Quote:
Hemp and marijuana are related, as they both belong to the genus Cannabis, but not the same. Well, technically, hemp is all Cannabis, but when people talk about hemp, they're usually referring to strains which are used for uses other than getting high.

Quote:
Okay... are you fucking with us?

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
Eclipsing the Son

Try to get your hands on some Salvia. That stuff is intense.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #15
Paigeybobert

It makes you lazy, hungry and fucking stupid. It's only fun when you're drinking or on shrooms or if you have absolutely nothing to do.
Paigeybobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #16
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsing the Son
And Legal! (for now).

I just remembered, I smoked some REALLY strong weed on the way back from a show, with a bunch of co-workers who were, for lack of a better word, total pot-heads. The result was that I basically experienced old music on a new and totally different level.

So that was cool.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #17
Eclipsing the Son

I find myself able to pick out new things in music too when I smoke. Everything just sounds different and subtle things in the background are more noticeable. This is very true with analogue recordings. They sound warm.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #18
Steppenwolf

A lot the drugs just set free what's inside you . What do you know conciously and what you don't . Can be a good trip or a bad one , it all depends on you .
Under this drug you got a bit of control , but still is the same as I said above : If you are a music lover , you'll start to "feel it" more deeply just because you focus on it . If you are curious about the facts of physic , you'll probably start to think the tiny bit you know about quantum physics , if you are paranoid or have some mental problems like depression ... Yeah , you get the idea .
It's not something I recommend . Not only because of the long term effects on your brain (doesn't "make you stupid" , but it decreases the quality of learning), but also you are feeding mafias ...
Besides the fact that it's ilegal .
(Now someone is going to flame , oh well ...)
Steppenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #19
lucylucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
Personally, I don't think 'weed' is a great thing to be addicted to, since it slows you down mentally waaay more than cigarettes do. I think that's why folks don't like it much.
Cigarettes don't slow you down mentally at all, and you can't get addicted to weed, except psychologically which is rare. It's easy as hell to quit, especially when you compare the possible psychological addiction of marijuana to the physical & psychological addiction of other harder drugs, even alcohol.
lucylucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #20
lucylucy

Quote:
In essence, it looks like the same thing as any other drug or alcohol: a way to escape reality.

Personally, I use computer and console games; they don't make you sick to your stomach, and you are still able to think clearly when you are finished with them. [Though I did have a weird dream about my Death Knight in WoW last night........]
I wouldn't categorize it as something used to escape reality. You don't get so fucked up you forget everything. In fact, it enhances reality.

Also, marijuana makes few people "sick to their stomach". It's actually known to help with nausea.
lucylucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #21
Eclipsing the Son

I also recommend dimethyltryptamine and dextromethorphan hydrobromide for a mind altering experience.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #22
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylucy
I wouldn't categorize it as something used to escape reality. You don't get so fucked up you forget everything. In fact, it enhances reality.

Also, marijuana makes few people "sick to their stomach". It's actually known to help with nausea.
I think the smoke has to do with making people sick, I can't smoke it anymore without coughing up a bloody lung. Plus some people will use tabacco as a pinch, which makes it worse.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:10 PM   #23
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Wait...your dad has used it all his life, but you still don't know what it does..? Seems to me that he'd be the best person for you to ask, unless the two of you don't get along for some reason.
No, Dad and I are not close. We argued ALOT when I lived with him as a kid, and he kicked me out. That guy is still bitter that I was a fight to wake up in the morning, but that I am out of line for feeling bitter that my dad kicked me out onto the STREET ant the age of 17.

No, I would rather ask someone else.

If I had known I could, I would have taken him to court for throwing me out at the tender age of 17.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:26 PM   #24
AngelikDemonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsing the Son

From what I've heard, it's a 10 minute high, but it's the best high you'll ever have.

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:36 PM   #25
Eclipsing the Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelikDemonik
From what I've heard, it's a 10 minute high, but it's the best high you'll ever have.
It's not really a high at all. It's more of a 30 to 45 minute out of control head trip. You pretty much lose all orientation or sense of personal space. This entails strange sensations such as being tugged at by invisible hands or your mouth melting off your face and landing in your lap. You can also lose the ability to make any sort of rational conversation. Like you'll hear everything a person is saying, but you won't be able to connect the dots. Or you will know what you're trying to say, but simply cannot concentrate long enough to say it.

Also you may hear voices and murmerings, feel like you're falling or feel like you are somehow being weighed down.

It's intense.