Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
KontanKarite

Voltaire... No. Just no.

"X-Mess Detritus"
Press Release

For Immediate Release

Director- Voltaire and My Chemical Romance front man, Gerard Way
make Creepy Christmas film for Glass Eye Pix.

MTV and SciFi Channel station I.D. veteran, Voltaire, known for his twisted, stop-motion animation, has made a spooky holiday short for the Creepy Christmas film festival. Masterminded by artist and animator Beck Underwood and hosted by Glass Eye Pix, the production company of Larry Fessenden (Wendigo, The Last Winter, Habit), the festival is a 25-day, on-line jaunt showcasing a new sinister short every day of December leading up to Christmas.

Voltaire's film, "X-mess Detritus" is a cautionary parable about the dangers of holiday gift-giving and the effect the resulting garbage has on the Earth. Voltaire wrote a poem to tell this tale and enlisted My Chemical Romance front man, Gerard Way to narrate his creepy Christmas short.

Says Voltaire, "My other two shorts are narrated by singers ("Rakthavira" is narrated by Deborah Harry of Blondie and "Transrexia" is narrated by Richard Butler of the Psychedelic Furs) so I wanted to keep that tradition. Plus I had been wanting to collaborate with Gerard on something for a while now so when the chance popped up, I jumped for it. He's super talented and a true professional.
He brought so much to the film and is just amazingly easy to be around"

Voltaire describes his inclusion in the festival as serendipitous . "I was picking my son up at school," says Voltaire, "when I noticed one of the parents had a Fangoria tote bag over her arm. Being a horror fan and having worked with Fangoria I excitedly ran up to her and said, 'Wow! Where did you get that Fangoria Weekend of Horrors tote bag?' She looked at me matter-of-factly and said, 'At the Fangoria Weekend of Horrors.' I felt like an idiot.
"
The next day I got an email from her. It was Beck Underwood of Glass Eye Pix, wife and long time collaborator of Fessenden's. She was writing to invite me to participate in the festival. I'm a big fan of their work so I was really excited to receive the news.
"

Born of an advent calendar created by Beck Underwood, Glass Eye Pix selected a different filmmaker to bring to life the image in each window of Underwood's creepy countdown to December 25th.

Underwood assigned Voltaire the slot for December 18th.

The image in that particular window of the calendar featured two distressed vintage dolls. Underwood communicated to Voltaire that they lent themselves well to stop-motion animation. A veteran of stop-motion commercials and station IDs for MTV, The SciFi Channel and others, Voltaire was perfectly suited for the job. He picked up the dolls from Underwood and got right to work.

He enlisted production support from Fangoria in the way of gear and shot at the School of Visual Arts where he teaches stop-motion animation. "There were no storyboards, no guidelines," says Voltaire, "just the dolls and a deadline. It was wonderfully liberating to be able to just let the piece develop on its own.
"

As for the name of the film, Voltaire states, "One of the other things about my shorts is that their titles all sound like diseases or some kind of disorder. 'X-Mess Detritus' sounds like something you'd need to get a shot for! Maybe you do. It alludes to the garbage left over after Christmas.
"

The Creepy Christmas Film Festival launched on December 1st, 2008 at www. creepychristmas. net.

Voltaire's film, "X-mess Detritus" premieres on December 18th.

-------------------------

Well... That's totally lame. Shame, Voltaire... shame.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
Mr. Filth

I always suspected that Voltaire was crap. Finally some hard evidence.
Mr. Filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
KontanKarite

And yet an economically tactful move is justifiable every time. Even if you collaborate with shitty artists. I always thought Voltaire was better than that.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
Mr. Filth

I have my suspicions that Voltaire is, himself, a shitty artist. It would explain his affinity for other shitty artists.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
Saya

Collaborating with shitty artists doesn't mean you're a shitty artist yourself. Look at Robert Smith writing shit for Ashley Simpson.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
KontanKarite

That's Robert Smith writing for someone who can't. That's the rub.

This was a damned collaborative between a decent artist and a bad one.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
stolide

It's a shame he couldn't find someone who didn't suck to work worth. Meh, I'll probably still watch it.
stolide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
ZyklonB

So he wants to work with a guy, big deal? If it goes smooth, cool. If not, too bad.

He's just doing some narration anyways.
ZyklonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
KontanKarite

My GOD he could have asked anyone else and done just as well, you know?

Old 12-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
Deadmanwalking_05

My chemical Romance fucked up a Misfits classic....they get no respect from me Astrozombies was a damn good song until they got their mitts on it.

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #11
Mr. Filth

Aye. That's the worst thing to happen since Avril Lavigne sang Fuel.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #12
Deadmanwalking_05

Don't remind me...as bad as I dislike Metallica....the original sounded way better.

She's bubblegum to the core,that song went from being " 'eh' it's listenable" to "Why the hell is the mickey mouse club trying to play metal? "

Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 PM   #13
Steppenwolf

money , money , money ... Soon or later everyone falls for it ...
There's nothing sacred nowadays , better get used to it . Nothing can surprise me anymore ...
Someone comes to you and make a nice offer . You need the money just like everyone does . And now we have to blame him?
Everyone is doing it and if not it's because they don't have the chance , come on ...
Old 12-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #14
Mr. Filth

I used to bug people by saying stuff like "Avril lavigne is so punk she makes pop music in a day and age when punk is what is popular".

I think she even said something along the lines that she didn't even know that song was by metallica. She just started to learn it because her agent said she'd have to perform it for an event. Something like that. I shit you not. Total whore.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:44 PM   #15
Albert Mond

Almost makes me want to be her. It must be fun being a corporate cumdumpster.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #16
Underwater Ophelia

...who cares?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #17
Elysiume

From what I've heard, Gerard Way didn't have any creative input on the film, he was just doing the narration. Even is his music is shit, he has quite a good voice. Anyway, Voltaire obviously thinks he's up to it, and his is the only opinion that counts here.

"I am a citizen of the universe!"
- Porucík Servadac, Na Komete (1970)
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #18
a morbid curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05
My chemical Romance fucked up a Misfits classic....they get no respect from me Astrozombies was a damn good song until they got their mitts on it.
MCR didn't make it better or worse, it's still the same song.

And it wasn't that good to begin with.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:18 PM   #19
Deadmanwalking_05

MCR made it sound like bubblegum.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:38 PM   #20
Voltairenyc

Come on, get a life.

KontanKarite,

You posted this in the wrong forum. It shouldn't be under "TV, MOVIES & Games" it should be under "WHINING!" hehhe

Get a life, dude. Seriously. I made a one-minute film and I asked my friend to narrate it. And I happen to think he did an amazing job. That fact that you might not care for his music changes nothing. I am super happy with the outcome.

Maybe instead of sitting at home and whining, you should make your own one minute film. And you can get Peter Murphy to narrate it and then you can be super uber cool. But my guess is that you don't know how to make a movie and you don't know Peter Murphy... so I guess that's why all you can really do is waste time smearing a couple of guys for doing what they enjoy doing.

While I'm on the topic... and since you are so convinced that somehow I arrived at the decision to book Gerard because of money (by the way, I'd love to know where all this money is going to come from since the film is FREE to watch).... let me tell you a little story about another narrator I almost worked with. His name is Peter Murphy. I see you are a fan of his.

I have made 3 of these short films so far and I have a few more in the works. Well, as it happens one that I'm still working on stars a doll that is tall and thin and pale. I thought it would be amazing if Mr. Peter Murphy could narrate that one since I'm a big fan of his. I did a search on-line and found the email address for his manager. I emailed her and told her about my film and that I wanted to book Peter to narrate the film and I quoted a certain amount of money that I'd be able to pay him.
She said something like, "I think Peter would really like this film and I'm sure he would enjoy doing it. However he lives in Turkey so do you think you can fly him to NY and back?"

Mind you, a first class ticket to and from Istanbul to NY is about 4 thousand dollars, which is WAY more than I had offered!!! I told her that I couldn't afford that but that I could fly to Istanbul and record him there because I had lots of frequent flyer miles (and of course it would cost a lot less since I'm happy to fly in coach!).
I got no reply.

About 2 months later I saw that Peter was touring the states and he was coming to NYC. I emailed his manager again and said, "Hey, since he's coming to NY do you think I could book him for one hour to do this?" Again, there was pay involved. I offered to send a car for him, have a buffet waiting, the works! I got no reply.
I emailed her again, no reply. Finally, I said something like, "I'm not sure why you are not replying to me now that he's in town considering how nice you were to reply to me when he was in Turkey. I have to assume I'm not offering enough money for you to care. So, why don't you name your price. Just tell me what you think it would take to make this happen".

I got NO REPLY.

What's the moral of the story? When Peter Murphy's manager needed to get him to NYC, I was worth talking to because maybe, just maybe, I would spring for a ticket to fly him out. But once they found some other sucker to pay for the flight, there was no point in even answering my emails.

So... I ask you, WHO is about money and fame?

Peter Murphy who didn't have one hour to spare (at ANY price) for a fan who really wanted to work with him, or me and Gerard, two guys who worked on a project together because we're friends and both enjoy spooky shit?

The point is, it's easy to sit home and bitch. But you'd seem a whole lot smarter if you ASKED why I chose him instead of just denouncing me and him and the whole thing for totally unrelated reasons.

Voltaire
Voltairenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:48 PM   #21
gothicusmaximus

Voltaire?
Is that really you?
I think I saw you one time. You would remember, I wear a ridiculous cape. I squinted at you and had a look on my face to the effect of "Voltaire? Is that really you?"
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #22
Voltairenyc

What an idiot! heh heh

V
Old 12-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #23
Deadmanwalking_05

Either way if that is or is not Voltaire....the dude put down some big time ownage on Double K.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #24
Voltairenyc

Oops, that was intended for Mr. Filth not you gothicusmaximus! heh heh

If I'm lame it's because I haven't mastered the QUOTE button! ; )

V
Old 12-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #25
Voltairenyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05
Either way if that is or is not Voltaire....the dude put down some big time ownage on Double K.
Yup, it's me. And I welcome any and all of you to double check by dropping me a line on my Mysapce page if you REALLY need to be sure.

Yes, even YOU Mr. Filth... I mean, presuming the parental controls on your computer allow you to visit Myspace. ; )

v