Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
Elystan

Self-diagnosis via the internet

And now I think I'm a psychopath. Awkward.
Elystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Hey look at the bright side, at least you don't think you have autism. Irritates me whenever I see another self diagnosed "autistic".

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
rabbitinthemoon

But if you truly were a psychopath, would you care? No guilt, empathy, or remorse....I don't think you'd be bothered by it.
rabbitinthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
Elystan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitinthemoon View Post
But if you truly were a psychopath, would you care? No guilt, empathy, or remorse....I don't think you'd be bothered by it.
I'm not. Except insofar as I don't like being defined.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
Elystan

Okay this is too much

"Even the faintest or most fleeting notion or inclination to forge a check, to steal his uncle's watch, to see if he can seduce his best friend's wife, or to have a little fling at fellatio, is by no means unlikely to emerge as the deed. The sort of repugnance or other inhibiting force that would prevent any or all such impulses from being followed (or perhaps from even becoming conscious impulses) in another person is not a factor that can be counted on to play much part in the psychopath's decisions."

My troll sense has been tingling for some time now but having a "little fling at fellatio" is supposed to be repugnant to an ordinary person?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
Renatus

That same description can be used to describe simply an extremely impulsive person, which could fall under who knows how many other definitions. Hell the lack of factoring in other people could fall under autism. Thats the problem with self diagnosis, far too many things share far too many symptoms, and rather than go through the strenuous process of deducing all the factors down until you have one possible diagnosis, people just diagnose themselves on the basis of one symptom.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
Elystan

Yeah I read through a healthy chunk of The Mask Of Sanity. It was apparently written in 1941 but there's a 1982 edition which is apparently still relevant to modern psychiatry. Read almost like a sensationalist pamphlet at times.

The problem is with the whole "psychopaths are normal people who lack emotions but simulate them brilliantly" is that you can accuse anyone of that and how is anyone to know about comparative depth of inner feeling?

"Well it's not they lack emotions, but they lack remorse". I can't say I particularly feel remorse for anything I've done in my life. Is that abnormal?

Do I understand that other people have emotions? Yes. Do I understand it on a deep emotional level rather than simply an intellectual one? What does that even mean? Does the fact I need to ask mark me out as psycho?

I check a lot of other boxes for it but yeah diagnosing yourself on the internet.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
Alan

You yourself used the word "self-diagnosis" and you're still taking this shit seriously?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:54 AM   #9
Elystan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
You yourself used the word "self-diagnosis" and you're still taking this shit seriously?
I'm a complex man
Old 03-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
Alan

You're not a complex man if you're simple enough to freak the fuck out of a self diagnosis on the internet.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
Elystan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
You're not a complex man if you're simple enough to freak the fuck out of a self diagnosis on the internet.
How does one determine 'freaking the fuck out'? This is a central problem with the idea of the classical psychopath, and probably why the dignosis has been replaced with the non-equivalent antisocial personality disorder.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
Elystan

OKCupid confirms it

Your result for The Psychopathy Test ...
True Psychopath

You scored 13 on Emotional Detachment and 18 on Chaotic Lifestyle!
Congratulations, you are both emotionally detached, and you lead a chaotic lifestyle, which may indicate there's something seriously wrong with you. A combined score of 30 or more on this test supports a diagnosis of psychopathy. You are likely to commit, or already have commited, a crime. Stay away from knives, guns etc. although with your brilliant and versatile mind you will probably think of a dozen other ways of hurting whoever you feel like hurting.

Rock-solid proof right there.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
Renatus

You're trusting a dating site for accurate psychiatric analysis?*facepalm*

I'll bet $100 Alan is going to facepalm too.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #14
CuckooTuli

I'm pretty sure y'all are being trolled.

Again.
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #15
MissCheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post

Everyone KNOWS dating sites tell you about your true self.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
Elystan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post

I heard lack of humour was a psychopathic trait, you might wanna get that checked out.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #17
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elystan View Post
I heard lack of humour was a psychopathic trait, you might wanna get that checked out.
Ren JUST told you he has autism, dip shit.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
Elystan

*scrolls up*

Nope, no he didn't

*scrolls up again*

Well that's sort of an implication I guess. I feel no remorse. Wonder if I'll make the 7 minute edit window?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #19
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuckooTuli View Post
I'm pretty sure y'all are being trolled.

Again.
I know but better he trolls and is distracted by his own thread than making posts in any relevant threads. Besides I'm bored, and I'm rather indifferent to trolling these days. If you want to piss me off you actually have to earn my respect first.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
Elystan

I'd deliberately find another thread to post in just for that if your forum weren't so dull.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #21
Elystan

Update: I just got done watching Hannibal and I didn't appreciate it when dude kills and maims, so I think I'm alright.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #22
Fruitbat

Ha! This was my score! So with a little more practice I too could be a psychic.

You scored 16 on Emotional Detachment and 12 on Chaotic Lifestyle!

Although I kinda liked this part of the test:

If your combined score is 20 or more, you have a mind of a true criminal. If your combined score is 30 or more, you have a mind of a psycho

Finally I'm a badass.

But now I think I've signed up for a dating website as a guy in his late 60s..

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:02 AM   #23
CuckooTuli

I have a confession: every now and again, one of Elystan's posts amuses me. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day...
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
Solumina

Quote:
there's a 1982 edition which is apparently still relevant to modern psychiatry.
It is only relevant in the same way that Freud is relevant, which is to say that they are examples of where we were and not where we are, our understanding of the human mind has changed quite drastically from what it was in the 80s, especially our understanding of emotions.

Quote:
"psychopaths are normal people who lack emotions but simulate them brilliantly"
this is applicable to more than just psychopaths.

Quote:
"Well it's not they lack emotions, but they lack remorse".
Actually it isn't so much the fact that they lack remorse or emotions that makes them a psychopath, it is the urge to act in a way that they know society has deemed immoral, if they were just lacking in emotions and remorse then they would be a sociopath.

Quote:
I can't say I particularly feel remorse for anything I've done in my life. Is that abnormal?
Yeah it is abnormal but most people find it really surprising what a large percentage of people are sociopaths (not that this makes you a sociopath) so not feeling any remorse is fairly common.

Quote:
Do I understand that other people have emotions? Yes. Do I understand it on a deep emotional level rather than simply an intellectual one? What does that even mean? Does the fact I need to ask mark me out as psycho?
That means that you don't have a normal emotional response, which in and of itself is not indicative of any particular syndrome/disease/condition/disorder/whatever.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #25
MissCheyenne

Self diagnosis pisses me off since everyone seems to think they are fucking bipolar. Diagnostic criteria is much more strict than anything you'll find on the internet for ANY kind of mental health disorder.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote