Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 03-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
Qgirl

Would you give someone $ if they demanded it to stay your friend?

There are situations which come up with friends where money can be involved. There is the obvious where doing business with friends brings money into the relationship equation. On a less obvious note, sometimes a friend will need a loan. Sometimes it is just nice to buy a friend a gift to cheer them up.

But what do you do if someone demands that you buy them gifts or give them a loan or give them an unearned business benefit . . . or they won't like you any more and will stop being your friend?

Would you require or have you ever required $$$ to stay someone's friend?

Would you ever give or have you ever given someone $$$ to stay your friend?
Qgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
indigochild

hell no. Thats childhood crap right there.
indigochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
Ben Lahnger

What? If someone was asinine enough to make such a threat to me, they would be someone I would never willingly spend any time around, let alone associate with. Friend? Ha!

Frankly, if some jackinape made such a statement to me, I would be sorely tempted to pummel and rob them. And I'm not at all the violent type ... it's just that I think the universe would be screaming out for this idiot to get a taste of the medicine he was trying to dish out.

But that's probably more answer than this question deserves.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:40 AM   #4
Mir

I'd pay 'em... in hugs, and unrequited love.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:15 AM   #5
CptSternn

Friends wouldn't do that, so anyone who poses such a question is obviously not yer friend.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:17 AM   #6
Opteron_Man

What!? No way, no matter what the circumstances!

A person who demands cash or anything else in return for "friendship" is a sick person indeed, and a scam artist. That "person" is NOT your friend. OK?

That rat was NEVER your friend in the first place. He had an eye on your cash (or whatever else he can get his greedy hands on) and that is what he lusted for. He didn't want your friendship.

This is what kids do on the playground at school after the teachers' turn their backs. Between the lonely kid and the big grinning, wheeling and dealing bully.

I would tell him to fuck off! This guy is twisted and you shouldn't feed these rats.

I learned this quote from somewhere. The quote went something like this:
“When you loan somebody money, you just bought an enemy”.

Qgirl, I hope this helps.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:48 AM   #7
Tam Li Hua

Sounds like kind of a childish thing to demand.

No, I wouldn't do that, since friendship is supposed to be based on something deeper than just money.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:58 AM   #8
Beneath the Shadows

If anyone ever demanded money in exchange for their friendship, I'd laugh in their face and tell them to kick rocks.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:02 AM   #9
Suicide Jade

i'd give them exactly one red cent and a well deserved fuck off.
Suicide Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:04 AM   #10
Minyaliel

No fucking way. Money can´t buy my friendship (although I will temporarily be your best pal if you start buying me drinks on a Saturday night. :P Friendship usually lasts until I decide to hit the dance floor and get myself lost in the crowds).

If someone ever demanded money of me for such reasons I would give them a big, fat one finger salute and ask them to leave the premises for being a fucktard.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #11
Jack of Tears

Friendship cannot be sold or bought with money.

On the same note, it is never a good idea to loan friends money ... give it to them, fine, but even if they want to call it a lone you need to realize you won't likely be seeing it again ... it really prevents you from getting upset when it never comes back.

Now, if someone I did not like or was not generally friendly with offered to pay me in exchange for my friendship ... the person obviously needs something that I can provide - so I'd look at it like a job, a form of prostitution.
Jack of Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #12
Pyre

Topics such as these are completely pointless and inane. I don't understand why Qgirl was made to post such ridiculous topics that are only going to receive a unanimous "yes" or "no" answer, then die off because there is absolutely nothing to debate. I feel as if some of these topics were targeted at elementary school kids.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #13
Jack of Tears

I don't believe the answers were unanimous ... for example, I did in fact say "Yes, I would take money to be someone's friend" ... or at least prostitute myself to the task.

Obviously there isn't a large range for argument here unless someone makes it - so let us take the following into account:

The individual asking for money is one of the most interesting, exciting, fun people you have ever met ... just being with this person makes your life better ... you smile more around them, you do things you've always wanted to but never had the guts ... in almost all ways this person is the best thing that ever happened to you. But, this individual is falling on hard times, she lost her job and the stress is taking its tole on her ... if she doesn't find her way out from under her situation her life is going to be miserable. She knows you have money and while she's not going to come out and say "give me money or we can't be friends" there is certainly an implied "after all I've done for you, why wouldn't you give me money when I need it?" in her attitude. Do you give her the money because you feel guilty that you have it and she doesn't? Do you resent her for making you feel that way? What if the perception is in your head ... you make large ammounts of money so you feel that when she discusses how hard her life is getting and how she needs money you jump to the conclusion that she is hitting you up ... but what if she isn't and it is merely your guilt? If she is, then is she your friend and merely in a pinch or was she never your friend? Or does she think you owe her? Is it worth losing a friend over when you have the money to give?

Not everything is cut and dry ... and very few questions only allow for yes or no answers.
Jack of Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man View Post
What!? No way, no matter what the circumstances!

A person who demands cash or anything else in return for "friendship" is a sick person indeed, and a scam artist. That "person" is NOT your friend. OK?

That rat was NEVER your friend in the first place. He had an eye on your cash (or whatever else he can get his greedy hands on) and that is what he lusted for. He didn't want your friendship.

This is what kids do on the playground at school after the teachers' turn their backs. Between the lonely kid and the big grinning, wheeling and dealing bully.

I would tell him to fuck off! This guy is twisted and you shouldn't feed these rats.

I learned this quote from somewhere. The quote went something like this:
“When you loan somebody money, you just bought an enemy”.

Qgirl, I hope this helps.
Dude...
I don't think she was asking for advice.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
Pyre

Jack: I didn't see your post because it got really boring reading "NO!" over and over again, so I just made a new post. Besides, would you actually demand such a thing of a friend? Also, having just read your post, I am not sure that the topic intended to ask whether you'd require a lonely person to pay you to be their friend, because that's not even friendship--you would never admit to being that person's friend if you clearly did not like them in the first place. So, my point still stands that it is, for the most part, a unanimous "no."

Then again, I have somewhat strict definitions on the term "friend" and easily distinguish it from "acquaintance" (which is someone you do not need to like).

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:26 AM   #16
girasol

If I already owed him/her money sure.
But people who are always hinting that they are broke piss me off.
Don't come to the pub if you have no money unless someone has offered to shout you.
If there was ever a situation where someone asked me for money I would probably give it to them. Of course it had to be under 100$ unless an emergency like my best friends rent, not having money for medication or food, or a taxi to get home. Then I would be too embarrassed to ask when they will if they will give me the money back so I would avoid them.
girasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:26 AM   #17
HavelockV

Would be a bloody impertinence of them, I say. I would neither bribe someone to retain their comraderie nor prostitute my friendship to others in exchange for money.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote