Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Viva Colombia?

Well I've recieved quite the interesting offer this weekend. Some of my relatives from Colombia came up here to visit this weekend, I've never met them before, but one of them owns what is apparently quite a large farm, where he grows/raises things such as a mountainside's worth of potatoes for Frito Lay.

Since my extended family is not satisfied with how I've been conducting my life, they talked him into offering me a job. I would be in Colombia for at least 12 months, much of the job would involve milking 80 cows by hand.

here are a few pros and cons off the top of my head
Pros:
Finally get to visit Colombia
Amazing dental plan(since some of my relatives down there are dentists and orthodontists)
Get to ride horses
get to see my relatives in Colombia and see where my mother's side of the family is from.
Learn Spanish
Colombian Women
Farm is located near Bogota, Colombia's capital
Spectacular landscapes, and buildings built in them.

Cons:
Have to learn spanish quickly, since the best english speaker our family has down there, is a young teen who has a long ways to go.
Untill I do learn spanish I will be quite lonely
Stuck in Colombia for a year
I get easily sun burnt... as we speak my body is recovering from the sunburns received from a few hours swimming outside, while an acceptable amount of sunburn, it reflects badly on my potential for farm work so close to the equator.

Unknown:
internet access
safety of job, and safety of the current Colombian political climate. As an example of how crazy things can get in Colombia, here's the picture of some of their tanks.

driving into the Colombian supreme court(Palace of Justice), in an effort to rescue the people held hostage by Guerrillas inside. 11 out of their 25 justices were killed during the siege. Of course that was back in 85, but its a bit disturbing since this is the sort of thing you'd only imagine happening in Hollywood action films.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colombian_armed_conflict

Worst part of all of this though, is I have until friday to decide.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Alan

Man, I'd tell you to go for it. Colombia has been relatively safer and latin police tend to not stop gringos, you're 'better.'
I think your bigger concerns should be indeed internet access so that you can still be connected to your life, and that your family gives you good work experience, so not just milking cows but that you ask them if they can teach you some administrative stuff so that in the future you can put a title on your resume that will give you an edge.

Also, speaking spanish is always a plus, even if it's learned the hard way.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Alan

Oh yeah, also not to make you sound entitled but definitely ask him how much he's hiring you for, because you want to come back and have at least some money for cushion as you make your transition back to the states. How well do you get along with them? Are they doing this as family or more as a favor to your family?
real classy
Old 06-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Renatus

I checked and internet access is available thankfully.

As for getting along, we got along pretty well language barrier aside. As for if any strings are being pulled to get this done, I do not know, they came up with this idea behind my back, ironically while I was discussing with my aunt the upcoming fall college semester.

As for income, I'm not sure, and I am concerned given the conversion rate from dollars to pesos. For example I was checking out the old myspace of what is apparently Colombia's only goth club, and apparently you can get a Heineken for 5 Colombian Pesos, or less than one american penny. I would hope I would earn at least 13,000 pesos an hour, since that's the amount of pesos it would take to meet the US Federal minimum wage. Not to try and sound spoiled or anything. I'll have to check.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Alan

Holy shit, since when is Colombia's currency that low?
But anyway, then you definitely won't earn a lot as if it were a regular job. Hell, if anything you should save some money over here so you have some spending power over there.
If you want to do this think of it more as an internship. But I want to hear other people's opinions. Generally I guess the opinion would be that 'how many people get an opportunity to live elsewhere like this for a year' but I'm not a traveling kind of person; how about you?
real classy
Old 06-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
Grausamkeit

I told you that learning the language will be easier if you're immersed in it for a bit. You're not going to be stuck only knowing English unless you don't go outside and talk to people.

I say go for it! You'll probably regret not doing it if you pass it up.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Holy shit, since when is Colombia's currency that low?
But anyway, then you definitely won't earn a lot as if it were a regular job. Hell, if anything you should save some money over here so you have some spending power over there.
If you want to do this think of it more as an internship. But I want to hear other people's opinions. Generally I guess the opinion would be that 'how many people get an opportunity to live elsewhere like this for a year' but I'm not a traveling kind of person; how about you?
Just google "colombian pesos to dollars" it will pull up a built in google currency converter. To be precise one Colombian Peso is worth 0.0006 dollars, or 1 dollar is worth 1792 pesos. Compared to Mexican Pesos, one Mexican Peso is worth 132 Colombian pesos.

According to wikipedia Colombia has been debating changing the value of the peso to 1000 times it's current value for 11 years now. Judging from it's current value, I'd say it's a good idea.

I've never been outside of the country.

With that in mind if I do take the offer one thing I would regret is I would no longer be able to donate blood since from what I've seen blood donation places have extremely strict standards. The last time my dad was out of the country was in the 80s(military service), and yet as a result he's automatically disqualified from donating blood.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
BourbonBoy

I say go for it. Like Alan said, at the minimum you have an internship, an overseas one at that plus the chance to experience new things. I lived outside the U.S. for about 5 and a half years spread between the Far East and Europe where I learned a lot about myself and how the rest of the world is that no classroom could attempt to emulate. For the first month or so it'll take some getting used to in regards to the weather, but within a month or so you'll be used to it.

The possibilities are endless for what you could experience while in Columbia from learning a new language, a new set of customs, different foods, new friends, perhaps even learn to enjoy farming. Who knows? The experience will be what you make of it.

I'm sure if you stow away cash like a squirrel does nuts for the winter you can make some decent coin as well. Will food, room and board be taken care of by your relatives as well?

Here's a link for conversion rates:

http://jumk.de/bank-formulas/currency-converter.shtml
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Renatus

Don't worry I didn't forget what you said or what me and fruitbat, and honeythorn discussed.

On that note Honeythorn brought up an interesting point that I couldn't mention earlier since I didn't have the time(had to go somewhere):
"....frankly something smells a bit off about the whole thing from what you tell me. Consider : Your family have effectively partially forced you to go to this place by giving you sa hard choice. Once you are there, you will basically be at the beck and call of this relative....."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourbonBoy View Post

The possibilities are endless for what you could experience while in Columbia from learning a new language, a new set of customs, different foods, new friends, perhaps even learn to enjoy farming. Who knows? The experience will be what you make of it.
l]
Just a note; it's spelt C-O-L-O-M-B-I-A

Old 06-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
BourbonBoy

Sorry about that. That's what I get for relying on auto-correct
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
Alan

Yeah, no offense, or maybe a little, but getting family advice from Honeythorn is like asking Glenn Beck what you should do with a Mexican baby you found on your porch.
real classy
Old 06-28-2012, 01:07 AM   #12
Fruitbat

You know hun, it's going to be hard... there's the getting used to a new culture and new social norms but not many of us get the offer of living somewhere for a year.

Make sure you negotiate hard before you go. You want a wage while you are there, living accommodation (including food and internet etc) and you want holidays (so you can travel and see places).

Ask them what you will be doing precisely - take it as you are going for a job. Hours of work, conditions of employment, wages, healthcare, etc.

Yes you will be at the mercy of your relative, but what happens if you really can't stand it and have to come home early?

And I'd be thinking about what this relative is like and will they make a good boss? And how they react to your negotiations for wages, holidays etc.

They have given you an ultimatum, but it doesn't mean you have to just say yes, without putting your own conditions on it yourself hun. Go in hard for the negotiations.

Who knows, you may meet a gorgeous Colombian girl, or you may decide you like potato farming? *wink*

Can you do your course by distance education? Can you do it in Colombia?

If I were 23 again, I'd be off. See the world, get new experiences, most people I know who do this are much more able to put the everyday crap into better perspective - because getting out of the house and your current life gets you to realise that there is a big world out there, and you don't have to put up with the small minded folks around you, but then you can get this by moving states/cities.

Get them to address all your concerns. Even put it in writing if that makes you feel better.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Yeah, no offense, or maybe a little, but getting family advice from Honeythorn is like asking Glenn Beck what you should do with a Mexican baby you found on your porch.
Since you know nothing about my family, or me for that matter, you are in no position to comment on how sound my advice on such matters is.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #14
Alan

real classy
Old 06-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
honeythorn

Gosh someone's feeling witty today.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #16
Alan

And someone's feeling like it's a good day to be a condescending hypocrite.

Let me see if I can keep tabs here.
I don't know your family, therefore I should shut the fuck up.
You don't know Renatus's family, therefore you can say whatever the hell you want.

Cool. Cool cool cool.
real classy
Old 06-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #17
honeythorn

He explained in detail over MSN. I can only comment based on the info I am given , and in the way it was given. I have given you no detailed info on my family, so no, you can't comment. Ren has told me of the situation on MSN, in more detail than on here.

The way he described it to me, and as he has also mentioned in this thread, is that his relatives pretty much decided he should go there ,and made rudimetary arrangements with his Colombian relative behind his back. They have given him this massive choice to make in an extremely short space of time. It's a big opportunity and also a big risk .

The way he described it to me, made it seem as though they were thinking less about what the benefits were for him, and more about the fact they weren't impressed with his progress in the US with regards to finding a job and generally getting on with life, and wanted to pack him off to Colombia for a year so they don't have to put up with it. It's bordering on some sort of weird little ultimatum.

The being at the mercy of the relative thing I brought up is valid. He could well have a serious falling out with someone there over the course of that year ( though of course one would hope not ) and if he has no savings already, and the relative decided they wanted him to go back home, he'd have to make his own way somehow ( unless they did the decent thing and paid for a ticket )

If anything that was my second concern. What if it doesn't work out? Have you got enough saved cash to get yourself back home? Enough already to support yourself independently of this work on the relative's farm? If the answer to that is no, then I would consider such a situation as a serious sticking point. He would be nearly totally dependent on the relative for money, food, housing, everything.

This only furthers my doubts as to the motives of his family in the US. They want him to make the decision to pack up his life and move there in under a week, for a year with no means to support himself but his Colombian relatives? I've no doubt they're great people but all the same, they will have control over where he stays on the farm, how much he gets paid for what he does, what days he can have off, everything pretty much.

This is the crux of the thing. He could go there and have a great experience, and learn loads of new skills, a new language, see a bit of the world. Or it could all go horribly wrong and not work out, and he could end up stuck there with no means of support , trying to get home.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #18
Alan

So he's told you pretty much everything he's told us as well but nothing about any family issues that might lead a sensible person to think they're conspiring assholes that hate him and want to get rid of him.

No, you're not making an informed opinion based on the info you are given, you are being hilariously negative because of your own misanthropy.
You say how he described it made it seem as though bla bla bla

Well your 5K+ posts makes it seem as though you're always a raging bitch, so in the consistency of your logic it's perfectly valid to not trust your criterion in regards to other human beings.
real classy
Old 06-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #19
honeythorn

Actually he has spoken of family issues on MSN previously. Which is why I am not taking a negative approach to this on a random whim.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #20
honeythorn

I don't think they hate him. But I do think they've gone about the whole situation in a rather uncaring and cold way. And they certainly haven't given him anywhere near enough time to consider the options and think about such a big move very thoroughly. I don't see why it has to be so rushed. Why he has to decide by the end of this week.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #21
Saya

Man, I wish my parents were mean that way to me. "Oh btw there's this job opening that would lead to travel and job experience you won't get here, but sadly the job needs to be filled soon so you don't have much time to decide."

I'd ask if they'd agree to help get you home if it doesn't work out, and then go. Why not? When's the next chance gonna be?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #22
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Man, I wish my parents were mean that way to me. "Oh btw there's this job opening that would lead to travel and job experience you won't get here, but sadly the job needs to be filled soon so you don't have much time to decide."

I'd ask if they'd agree to help get you home if it doesn't work out, and then go. Why not? When's the next chance gonna be?
Nope they wouldn't be able to afford it, family is in debt deep enough as it is, and tickets to Colombia aren't as cheap as the price of beer there would suggest. I mentioned what Honeythorn said to me because quite frankly, such controlling behavior on the part of my family is not as out of the realm of possibility as I'd hope. They did for example for one of my exes prevent me from accessing my bank account so I couldn't see her when they learned her father was a drug lord(she was estranged from her father), something for which I'll never forgive them.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #23
Renatus

Worst part is they hounded me afterward for not making decisions for myself. Well hey what the fuck do you expect, you stop me from using my money to spend how I please, then I lose my gf because she was tired of that bullshit, and I'm left stuck physically in pain from heartbreak, and left without hope.

Worst part is this weekend I find that they mistake autism with fucking sociopathy, my aunt saying to my face something along the lines of "well you don't think about what other people are feeling". Those fucking assholes, I could of easily been justified in slapping that bitch across the face, but instead I channeled that anger into crying instead, yet somehow I'm the fucking sociopath?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #24
Renatus

Worst part is they've quite likely thinking that way behind my back for years. They have all these talks about what I'm feeling behind my back and NEVER ONCE have they bothered asking me what I'm actually feeling, they just get all their info from fucking second and third hand information from my fucking parents. Hell far too often when I try to correct them on their incorrect assumptions about what I'm feeling, they try and tell me what I'm feeling, as if I have no fucking clue what I'm thinking.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #25
Renatus

ugh I used worst part twice*facepalm*, too late to delete all of that stuff now