Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
Neurosis

College Letdowns

I wouldn't normally do this, but I just have to express it.

Being a Senior, I chose to apply for colleges. My school's college advisor promised us all that she would help us all in our college process. My schedule quickly became very full, and I had to push away time for myself. I am involved in extra curricular activities, volunteer work, and college credit courses (not AP). I thought this would all come simple, but many roadsteps were blocked.

My parents don't have a clue on what college process is these days. They also do not bother to know, no matter how many times I've given them booklets on planning for college expenses. Only my father went to college, in the 1970s, at a time where college admission wasn't so difficult. All he did was apply, show his transcript, and working with Xerox, they agreed to pay for his college expenses. Sometimes, colleges plan Open Houses on Sundays, which gets in the way from attending church. One Saturday, I had to beg my parents to take me to one university's open house, to which they would not allow, since it was a Sunday. With much headache, the next morning, they agreed to take me. That was the only time they helped the most.

My college advisor had a distasteful attitude towards me. Everytime I tried to plan a meeting with her, she was always "too busy with another student" and never made time with me. All the Senior class had help, to which I had to do all on my own. A friend went to ask her why she never planned a meeting with me, to which she made an excuse saying that I always leave too quickly. When asking her to fax my SAT scores, she sent me back to my classes, unable to talk at all. I had to assert myself to use her computer at a scheduled time, and on top of that, tardying myself on sending a scholarship application.

My SAT scores were messed up. I called SAT management, to which they said they would fax over my newest report. This went on with no fax recieved, and I had to call them four times to which they answer, "I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience." A month later, I pay over $100 to have my scores sent over to my listed colleges, on the option of rush order (which promised scores sent in less than one week). Two weeks later, I contact one of the colleges, to which they responded that they had not recieved my scores yet. Calling SAT management again, I get the "Terribly sorry for the inconvenience," and hesitating on making up more excuses on how the score formatting is sent.

My boyfriend, being two years younger than me, has no clue on college expectations. He has made things incresingly worse by blaming me for making no time for him. We made an agreement that all Fridays are for him, and yet, he still complained that I never had any time to be together. With many heartaches, and sore throats from yelling at him for him to understand, I finally got my respect. He now understands and helps me with any need.

I do not want to sound as if I am whining or complaining. I just want this off my chest, and this is only a piece of what has happened during my college process. I still need to send out my CUNY (City Universities of New York) applications, but am held back because my father keeps forgetting to make the necessary $65 application fee money order. I get lots of stress, from family, school, and in my relationships. Burdening me with so many complaints, all I want to do is send my applications on time, do well in school. All I really want to do is get into college.

--Neurosis
Neurosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:50 AM   #2
Valerius

I went through a whole shitload of paperwork too when I first applied for college, but it doesn't seem like it amounts to anything when compared to what you're having to go through right now. Right now, all I want to do is to pass this sem!

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote