Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
Tirananniel

Can't sleep. Can't sleep at all.

Well if you couldn't guess from the title of this thread, I can't sleep.

For the past few weeks I haven't been able to sleep at all at night, I'm sooo tired, but I cant sleep, and it's just annoying as hell. I can go through most of the day, and I'm fine, but when I get home from school(which is around five or six at night), I just pass out for a few hours, then wake up, still tired, but not able to go back to sleep.

I've tryed talking to my doctor about it, and asked her if I could maybe get a sleep aid, but she basicly just said, "You're a teenager, stuff like that happens." which I think is conplete and total bullshit.

Anyways, if anyone has any ideas why this is happening, and what I could do to make it stop, feel free to tell me(please), or if you have any ideas on how I could convince my doctor that this isn't happening just because I'm a teen, also feel free to tell me(again, please).

Oh, and if this isn't in the right section thingy, then I'm sorry, but it didn't seem to fit anywhere else.
Tirananniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
You can try buying melatonin pills, they are available without prescription from your local drug store, pop a couple and in about 30 minutes you should be able to fall asleep.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Delicate_Torture

If your doctor brushes you off without listening to you then go to another doctor. It might be an idea to get a referral to a psychologist or therapist as well... a lot of sleep disorders have to do with mood. The other thing you could do is when you see your doctor and s/he says 'it is a teenage thing,' say 'do you see a lot of teenagers who complain of this? Why does it happen to them? How long does it happen for? What sorts of things do they do to help it? How long should I let it happen before I should start to worry about it?' and ask as many questions about it all as you can think of. This will make your doctor address the issue a little more-s/he might be right and it could be something that you'll move past in a while, but asking all of this will ensure that your doctor has really thought about it while s/he has answered your questions. It will also give you more information, and information is power.

Try not going to bed when you get home from school. Force yourself to stay awake until later and then go to sleep.

Stuff like that does happen when you're a teenager. I went through a lot of sleep disturbances while I was growing up. I still do... and I deal with it by going swimming and staying awake until it is bedtime. I still might only get 4 hours sleep, but at least it is 11pm to 3am and not 6pm to 10pm.

Good luck.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
Tirananniel

Thanks.

I think I have mentioned it to my shrink, but I don't entirely remember what she said about it. I would try going to a different doctor, but the doctor that I'm going to right now is the best one(in my oppinion) in the area, the rest of them are just WAY too drug happy. Plus, I already have to drive twenty minutes to see the doctor I'm going to right now. But I'll try asking her some of those questions.

I try to stay up most of the time by doing stuff, and just making myself stay awake, but I just cant...I don't trust myself to go walking or anything when I'm tired, 'cause my legs get really weak and I lose my balence easily. Another thing is that, if I were to fall asleep at the right time, wouldn't I just wake up in the middle of the night.

*sigh* This is so frustrating.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
Frankenscott

This is gonna sound stupid but get some exercise, when I'm inactive it makes me cranky
Frankenscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #6
PersephoneX

I chew sunflower seeds...
seriously. it works. I once went a week without sleep and wanted to jump in front of a train. Its not cool. lay off the caffine, too.
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:31 PM   #7
Tirananniel

Okay, thanks everyone. I'll try some of your ideas out.

I have been thinking about going and getting some over the counter sleeping stuff...I dunno.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:31 AM   #8
PersephoneX

drugs suck...and NO i'm not straight edge!
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirananniel
Okay, thanks everyone. I'll try some of your ideas out.

I have been thinking about going and getting some over the counter sleeping stuff...I dunno.
Sure, if you mean herbal stuff to help you relax, that could be a good idea. I also highly recommend meditation. One of my main issues with sleep is that I can't get my mind to shut down... I don't know if that's your problem, too, but meditation and herbal remedies have helped me, even just a little.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:30 PM   #10
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Nature sounds help soothe me sometimes. I also take trazadone, it's a non addictive sleep aid. I can go on and off of it whenever I want. It doesn't affect me. I also find something warm to drink and a shower work. Maybe leaving th TV on will help. I also like fishtank sounds, that helps lull me to sleep. I have had serious issues with sleep, but most of those things have worked okay for me. I think the trazadone has worked best though. Although I do not like having to take a med.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #11
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying_Crimson_Tears
Nature sounds help soothe me sometimes. I also take trazadone, it's a non addictive sleep aid. I can go on and off of it whenever I want. It doesn't affect me. I also find something warm to drink and a shower work. Maybe leaving th TV on will help. I also like fishtank sounds, that helps lull me to sleep. I have had serious issues with sleep, but most of those things have worked okay for me. I think the trazadone has worked best though. Although I do not like having to take a med.
My brother was on Trazadone for a while, and it truly fucked him up. It wasn't addictive, but he'd take it at 8pm and still be drowsy around noon the next day.

It's good that i's working for you.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 01-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #12
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Apparently gravol makes a lot of people sleepy. Doesn't work for me, but...
My problem is that I want to sleep all the time. I can't do any work cuz I'm too tired/lethargic. I have motivational issues getting out of bed, even when I've got 5 minutes til I have to leave for class.
One other time, I went nocturnal. Didn't see daylight for a week.

Apparently having a random white noise helps to fall asleep, like a fan or furnace/ac vent, or something like that. Noise that isn't really anything. Also, if you can't fall asleep after a certain amount of time (I forget what it is), you're supposed to get up and do something until you think you can fall asleep. If you lie in bed awake, you tend to start associating your bed with wakefulness, and end up not being able to sleep in it. The Psychology Today website might have something on it...
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:17 PM   #13
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelleDameSansMerci
Apparently gravol makes a lot of people sleepy. Doesn't work for me, but...
My problem is that I want to sleep all the time. I can't do any work cuz I'm too tired/lethargic. I have motivational issues getting out of bed, even when I've got 5 minutes til I have to leave for class.
One other time, I went nocturnal. Didn't see daylight for a week.

Apparently having a random white noise helps to fall asleep, like a fan or furnace/ac vent, or something like that. Noise that isn't really anything. Also, if you can't fall asleep after a certain amount of time (I forget what it is), you're supposed to get up and do something until you think you can fall asleep. If you lie in bed awake, you tend to start associating your bed with wakefulness, and end up not being able to sleep in it. The Psychology Today website might have something on it...
The sleep-fluctuation thing is a sign of depression...

And the laying awake in bed thing is a really good tip. I should've remembered that-- One of my therapists told me that once. I had a whole bunch of sleep-tips... I'll see if I can dig them up.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 01-12-2007, 10:00 PM   #14
Tirananniel

I didn't even think of this: I have an anxity disorder. Which could probably be why I cant sleep, because anxity disorders make it hard to sleep, and they make you restless and all that good stuff. I'm on meds for the anxity disorder(Lexapro), so that should be helping with all the sleeping problems, but if it's not, then that explains alot.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:02 PM   #15
DarkHeartedDemoness

Yeah, that's it.

I've got the same problem, although I'm sure mine is to a lesser extent because it's manageable without medication, but with a strict regime of alternatives.

Definitely listen to the bed thing LaBelleDameSansMerci said, then.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 01-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #16
Tirananniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelleDameSansMerci
Also, if you can't fall asleep after a certain amount of time (I forget what it is), you're supposed to get up and do something until you think you can fall asleep. If you lie in bed awake, you tend to start associating your bed with wakefulness, and end up not being able to sleep in it. The Psychology Today website might have something on it...
Yeah, that kinda makes sence. I'll make sure I remember that.

I think that I'm still gonna bother my doctor about it, seeing as the meds arn't helping with the sleeping.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #17
DarkHeartedDemoness

You're not prone to nightmares, are you?

I know several dozen tricks to deal with them-- none of which have actually worked for me, but still.

If you need help in that area, I'm your gal.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 01-12-2007, 11:30 PM   #18
ViciouslyBeautiful

Quote:
I didn't even think of this: I have an anxity disorder. Which could probably be why I cant sleep, because anxity disorders make it hard to sleep, and they make you restless and all that good stuff. I'm on meds for the anxity disorder(Lexapro), so that should be helping with all the sleeping problems, but if it's not, then that explains alot.
I took that stuff too and it didn't work for me, only seem to make my sleep pattern worse.

By the way, sorry for going off topic, what are the symptoms of anxiety disorder?
ViciouslyBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:02 AM   #19
Frankenscott

Thundering Rainstorm.mp3

Download this and fill a cd up with it... It works for me sometimes

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nsalqq

Thundering Rainstorm.mp3
Frankenscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:14 PM   #20
Tirananniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeartedDemoness
You're not prone to nightmares, are you?

I know several dozen tricks to deal with them-- none of which have actually worked for me, but still.

If you need help in that area, I'm your gal.
I used to have horrid nightmares a few months ago, but I don't have a problem with them anymore. If I start to have them again, then I'll ask you about it, but for now I'm good...I just read that over, and it sounds kinda mean...to me atleast.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #21
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
I used to have horrid nightmares a few months ago, but I don't have a problem with them anymore. If I start to have them again, then I'll ask you about it, but for now I'm good...I just read that over, and it sounds kinda mean...to me atleast.
Doesn't sound mean in the least. You're not a mean person, you're a sweetheart. Let me know if the nightmares come back.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 01-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #22
Tirananniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciouslyBeautiful
I took that stuff too and it didn't work for me, only seem to make my sleep pattern worse.

By the way, sorry for going off topic, what are the symptoms of anxiety disorder?
Lexapro doesn't work for me either...it might be doing that too, I dunno.

Some of the symptoms of anxiey diorder(most people have Generalized Anxiety Disorder, or GAD, just to tell you.) are:

-Restlessness or feeling keyed up or on edge
-Being easily fatigued
-Difficulty concentrating or mind going blank
-Irritability
-Muscle tension
-Sleep disturbance (difficulty falling or staying asleep, or restless unsatisfying sleep).
Old 01-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #23
Tirananniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeartedDemoness
Doesn't sound mean in the least. You're not a mean person, you're a sweetheart. Let me know if the nightmares come back.
Okay. I'm just a bit parinoid. I don't like to be mean unless the person diserves it...*sigh*, I guess that's not entirely true, seeing as I can be an ass alot of the time. I'm rambling...sorta.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #24
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Okay. I'm just a bit parinoid. I don't like to be mean unless the person diserves it...*sigh*, I guess that's not entirely true, seeing as I can be an ass alot of the time. I'm rambling...sorta.
I know how you feel-- I hate lashing out at people, but I'm in the League of Angry Bitches.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 01-13-2007, 05:36 PM   #25
Tirananniel

Okay...my brain is having some sort of seizire, I cant even remember how to spell seizer and my mum's epileptic. I swear to god I'm hopeless. I ramble too much.