Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:45 AM   #51
LadyStardust

God, I hate Requiem. Not for any mechanical reason, but on principle. Instead of focusing on their existing fan base, White Wolf started targeting new, younger role-players by wiping the slate clean so that decades of back story wouldn't be so daunting. As a result, though, they've lost a lot of loyal customers. The guy who runs the comic/RP shop where I live says that White Wolf sales have gone down a LOT since the makeover. They went from top seller to third, behind Wizards of the Coast and Palladium.

I wouldn't be opposed to giving it a shot, though. I'm jonesing for some WoD something fierce.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #52
HellforgedX

Dep: That might be feasible.

Dusty: Amen, sistah! Like I said, taking Malkav's Brood and making a steenkeeng offshoot bastard bloodline was a ::Schwarzeneggar voice:: BIG MISTAKE ::/Schwarzeneggar voice::. Did NOT know who they were f'ing with! But, on the other hand, I've been acquiring the other WoD books, such as the main junk, not the racial stuff (well, I got all that, too) and all the mysterious mysteries of the unexplained shizznit they got looks promising. I love a good ghost story as much as anyone.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:45 AM   #53
Depravity

It's something I've been working on and still am working on to be honest. I'm not finished coming up with the power players of each faction and lately I've just been getting to have the time to myself for such development. But this is a game that going to be quite open and directed by the players as much as by me. Though I seem unable to post a url at this point in time.

And yeah Mortal characters are fully acceptable.
Depravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:17 AM   #54
LadyStardust

I remember briefly playing a V:TM game run on a MIRC server. It was very well organized, mechanically speaking, but the STs were complete and utter tools, so I didn't stick around long.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #55
Depravity

The way I've general played and run games in the past is with the game mechanics taking a back seat to the stories. I do up character sheets for my characters to use really only as a guideline to tell me what my character is capable of. What his/her limits are and so forth. And then I play them like that and stick to those limits.

Rule mongering or lawyering I've never had any use for. For me, telling the story is my first priority right alongside having fun doing it.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:26 AM   #56
LadyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depravity
The way I've general played and run games in the past is with the game mechanics taking a back seat to the stories. I do up character sheets for my characters to use really only as a guideline to tell me what my character is capable of. What his/her limits are and so forth. And then I play them like that and stick to those limits.

Rule mongering or lawyering I've never had any use for. For me, telling the story is my first priority right alongside having fun doing it.
That is a good philosophy to have, overall. Little ruins a game as quickly as rolling dice for every little interaction. "I'm rolling my Charisma." "I'm rolling my Intimidate." Christ, just ROLEPLAY IT!!

However, the opposite is also true. Rules are there for a reason. Have you ever played with someone who rolls his or her dice quickly and furtively, picking them back up and saying "I made it" before you ever see what exactly they rolled? It may not be as important in social situations, but as soon as a combat breaks out, you NEED a system that allows for publicly viewable rolls. Nothing ruins a game like a dirty little cheat.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:42 AM   #57
Depravity

I've never actually had that happen to me. I suppose I've been lucky overall in that regard. Combat situations ARE indeed where the biggest trouble and friction between players can come in, I will agree with you there. Nothing is as competitve as combat in role playing.

The times I've played with other players in a combat situation for WoD online I tend to use the general rule I've picked up for playing online.

"You don't control another person's character or whether or not they get hit by your attack. You make the attempt and they will decided if they are hit or not. The same goes for other's attacks on you."

This method of combat excludes dice rolls completely and has the players role play out the combat entirely, however it also has the disadvantage of requiring faith and honor in all players as well as maturity.

This has backfired on me a few times when I've gotten immature players or those who simply don't want to lose ever. No system is perfect however.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #58
HellforgedX

I suggest the ST/GM/Whatever make all the rolls using this handy dandy little random number generator. I suggest this for 2 reasons: 1) why would the ST want to screw the players? Then no players would want to play; and 2) the ST could fudge the rolls in favor of progressing the story and no one else would be any the wiser.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #59
Depravity

Hmm...that's a good plan really and worth looking into. Thanks for the link to the number gen.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:37 PM   #60
drewsilla

Tremere here! I got into it in Germany, wrote a great backstory that I was very proud of on my character and started playing with this little group. I didn't know that the GM would turn my Tremere into this whore that had no backbone! Everytime I tried to steer my Tremere into a cool situation, the GM would have her eating some glitter-encrusted pop-tart in the bathroom of whatever club we were in. My poor Tremere.
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:25 PM   #61
Versus

I bumped this thread because I've been playing bloodlines again, which made me nostalgic about playing the pen and paper. So let's talk shop.

http://www.angelfire.com/vamp/vamp_g...__revised_.pdf

I almost always play a Noseferatu, except that one game that used the dark ages setting.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #62
Black Spiral Dancer

I haven't played either Vampire or Werewolf for years, but you can probably tell from my name that I prefer Werewolf.

The first vampire I played was an Abomination (Vampiric Werewolf)... He was a Metis Ragabash Black Spiral Dancer Malkavian. Damn, he was fun! Albino, Habromania, Necrophiliac and what I called Pythonomania (he thought he was in a Monty Python sketch, constantly) Normally Storytellers are discouraged from allowing them to be played as characters due to them being quite powerful, but I promised I was playing it for a laugh (his last derangement proved this) so he let me do it.

I once even played a game where each person did themselves as a human that was embraced, and the Storyteller for that said I couldn't choose my clan, it had to be random. I rolled to see what clan I got, and to the ST's dismay, I rolled a Malk! That started getting a bit silly, as we were gaming all night!
Black Spiral Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote