Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:59 PM   #26
Alatariel

I like musicals...but I have to be in the mood for them...which only happens once in a blue moon.

So yeah.
Alatariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:33 AM   #27
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavelockV View Post
Oh, come now, Les Miserables is not all that bad. After all, you could be forced to watch Wicked, instead. Now there's a fine example of a musical travesty.
Well you know, the show I saw of Wicked was fucking amazing, it achieved everything it set out to achieve, which was to be catchy, fun, and memorable.

Of course the best show I've ever seen wasn't a musical, it was an opera of Through the Looking Glass.

If I can ever manage to see the Nibelung Saga then I'll be content.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:31 AM   #28
a morbid curiosity

I like musicals.
I can sorta see why people would hate them, but I don't. Even really awful ones are fun to see at the theatre, methinks. There's just so much energy. The general atmosphere's always nice.

As for Sweeney Todd, I've only seen videos of the Broadway performances. I intend to see a version of it one of these days.

Operas are better, but still.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:41 AM   #29
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Phantom of the Paradise!
and yeah, JC Superstar, Guys and Dolls, West Side Story...there are a lot of great musicals which were enjoyable, as Havelock said, because of the abilities of the actors.

Marlon Brando actually wasn't that bad of a singer.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:57 AM   #30
girasol

they're ok.

I was surprised with sweeney todd.

I couldn't get over how happy it made me feel. the outfits and certain lines...

just the way he said ' AND THE TOWN WAS FULL OF SHITTT!'
(:
girasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:19 AM   #31
a morbid curiosity

"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit, and it's filled with people who are filled with shit", perhaps?
Haha.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:25 AM   #32
$haDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by girasol View Post
they're ok.

I was surprised with sweeney todd.

I couldn't get over how happy it made me feel. the outfits and certain lines...

just the way he said ' AND THE TOWN WAS FULL OF SHITTT!'
(:
Loved that movie!!

Burton rules !!!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #33
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I've read the play, and sadly there was no mention of a musical number at the end.
There are no stage directions in any of Shakespeare save for exits and entrances, however scholarship has determined which plays contained songs.

Quote:
Please tell me there was one also at the end of Macbeth. With jazz hands.
Actually, the Hectate scene in Macbeth is musical, but it's an addition not authored by Shakespeare, widely accounted to Thomas Middleton, possibly an excerpt from his play The Witch. In short, the most widely read text of Macbeth is a version edited to be more 'fun' by a theatre director who might have, in another time, worn pink nail polish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC
Was Lestat a musical when it was on Broadway?
I actually saw it. It was hilarious, but not as hilarious as Frank Wildhorn's Dracula musical, which featured the count plodding across the stage screeching "FRESH BLOOOOD! I NEED FRESH BLOOOOOOD!"
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #34
Lady Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
I actually saw it. It was hilarious, but not as hilarious as Frank Wildhorn's Dracula musical, which featured the count plodding across the stage screeching "FRESH BLOOOOD! I NEED FRESH BLOOOOOOD!"
Oh Wow. I'd probably burst out laughing at that point... that's horrible!
Lady Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #35
gothicusmaximus

I laughed pretty consistently through the entire first act.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #36
HavelockV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain View Post
Phantom of the Paradise!
and yeah, JC Superstar, ... there are a lot of great musicals which were enjoyable, as Havelock said, because of the abilities of the actors.
You mention two excellent musicals which I am fond of. My compliments on your taste. *hat tip*

Quote:
Well you know, the show I saw of Wicked was fucking amazing, it achieved everything it set out to achieve, which was to be catchy, fun, and memorable.
Generally speaking I am not very fond of shows that are reminiscent of a Disney theme park attraction, which is how I perceive Wicked. I confess that the constant and pervasive frequency with which the drama students at my university would suddenly burst out singing 'Popular' and 'Defying Gravity' during social gatherings did little to improve my view. But again, here is a question of personal preference.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #37
Lady Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavelockV View Post
Generally speaking I am not very fond of shows that are reminiscent of a Disney theme park attraction, which is how I perceive Wicked. I confess that the constant and pervasive frequency with which the drama students at my university would suddenly burst out singing 'Popular' and 'Defying Gravity' during social gatherings did little to improve my view. But again, here is a question of personal preference.
Wicked was big at my school too... then again, so was Grease and West Side Story and BLAH BLAH BLAH! The stories there to me serve little interest as far as the high school cliques and gangs that dance and other such nonsense... I prefer Phantom of the Opera, The Producers, Les Mis, and other such things...
Old 04-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #38
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Defying Gravity was THE song that made Wicked for me, the rest of the songs were catchy and made you wanna dance a little at times but Defying Gravity was something.

Contrary to a lot of folks, I hate West Side Story, it pissed me off.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #39
girasol

Quote:
Originally Posted by a morbid curiosity View Post
"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit, and it's filled with people who are filled with shit", perhaps?
Haha.
Yeah, that one.
(:
girasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #40
eternalcrimson

gothicusmaximus got it right. While there is no stage direction that implies that there is going to be a music there is singing in several acts but still why make it into a number. I understand why there is singing but why dancing? I just personally think that it takes away from the lines. Spoken word is easier to understand than when it is sung.

It is ultimatly up to the director if there should be music or for that fact if it should be sung at all. I've seen several productions of Shakespeare where any singing is cut out of the script which IMHO is the way it should be. Shakespeare is known more for his writing than he is for his music.
eternalcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #41
Pyre

I personally really like Chicago as a musical. The movie didn't seem melodramatic or over-the-top to me except that the character strove to be such in order to grab attention to herself. The story seemed pretty low-key to me in comparison to other musicals in that it wasn't cheesy and dramatic without reason.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #42
Fae-wolf

I enjoy the music from Jekyll and Hyde...

You seem like the type who woulndn't enjoy EVil Dead the Musical.

But i love musicals. Sorry they don't catch your fancy. The ones you named weren't the greatest, but it's not to see there are SOME aren't there you like.
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #43
Lady Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
I personally really like Chicago as a musical. The movie didn't seem melodramatic or over-the-top to me except that the character strove to be such in order to grab attention to herself. The story seemed pretty low-key to me in comparison to other musicals in that it wasn't cheesy and dramatic without reason.
I can agree with that.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch is really good too!
Old 04-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #44
Malice In Wonderland

Les Misérables fucking ruled.
I saw it at The Queens Theatre in London.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #45
eternalcrimson

The longer this thread goes the more I think I do like musicals but I haven't had a good exposure to it thus far.

Keep in mind I've been dragged to a lot of bad musicals in my time. The one that ultimatly killed it for me was Rent (The only reason why I saw it was because some of my school mates wanted to see it). OH GOD! Bad music, bad scriptwriting and (when I saw it) bad acting plus it's stereotypicaly gay. It traumatized me on musicals since then but now that I'm reading these posts I'm deffinatly reconsidering. I've always wanted to see Les Misérables...
eternalcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #46
Minyaliel

I saw a -really- good production of Les Mis in Trondheim some years ago, and it had me burst into tears several times. Then I saw it again here in Oslo a month ago, with the same actor playing the male lead, and it was absolutely horrible. Musicals really bring out the best and the worst in a director; they´re very artistically demanding. I should know, I was cast as Mrs. Sherman in "Fame the Musical" a year ago. There are quite a lot of musicals with lots of depth to them - Show Boat being a prime example. No wonder it was controversial in its day. Perhaps you should just watch a few more before deeming them the Work of the Devil (tm).

And, historically speaking, musicals evolved from the operetta. Now if you´ve ever seen "Die Fledermaus" or pretty much anything composed by Strauss, you will see where many musicals got their fluffiness/ airheadedness from. xD
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #47
Lady Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalcrimson View Post
The longer this thread goes the more I think I do like musicals but I haven't had a good exposure to it thus far.

Keep in mind I've been dragged to a lot of bad musicals in my time. The one that ultimatly killed it for me was Rent (The only reason why I saw it was because some of my school mates wanted to see it). OH GOD! Bad music, bad scriptwriting and (when I saw it) bad acting plus it's stereotypicaly gay. It traumatized me on musicals since then but now that I'm reading these posts I'm deffinatly reconsidering. I've always wanted to see Les Misérables...
Keeping an open mind is key, well that and remembering that the musical lovers tend to disown High school Musical as anything remotely decent.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #48
zebra

Sound of Music and I go way back...I like a lot of musicals actually. Can't stand Oklahoma.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #49
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
Sound of Music and I go way back...I like a lot of musicals actually. Can't stand Oklahoma.
Oooh, that reminds me! Fiddler On The Roof is awesome too! I forgot about that, I lent my copy to a friend and haven't seen it in months. Its on the list of movies that can make me cry.

It reminded me because as kids my sister and I always fought over what movies to watch, Sound Of Music vs Fiddler On The Roof was usually the argument when we wanted to watch a musical. She'd end up taking the Fiddler cassette out of the vcr while I was watching it and put the Sound of Music in, the bitch.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:38 AM   #50
Mr E Nigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I do like a lot of them. I saw The Rocky Horror Show recently and I had the time of my life. I saw Grease last year and it was "meh." I haven't seen it performed yet but Jesus Christ Superstar still remains the best Biblical movie IMO.

But yeah, As You Like It having a musical number just sounds retarded.
Saya... I only have 4 words for you apart from (Watch this asap) And those 4 words are...

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter (And yes it's a musical)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Christine View Post
I wish I could make up her stories, she was insane. She was convinced two dragon statues in front of her house guarded the house with a forcefeild.
Too build on Ophelia's perception of a lie...

All that comes to mind now is Don Quixote...

ALSO.... I'll say my top 3 favorite musicals of all time..

"Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" (If you haven't yet... watch it now.. no srsly. Now)

"Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter"

and "Newsies"