Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #2201
Apathy's_Child

The Queen of Spades and Other Stories by Pushkin. I've read it before, but I was around seventeen at the time. No one does madness and misery like those crazy-ass Russians.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #2202
JCC

I just finished Joe the Engineer by Chuck Wachtel. As the title somewhat suggests, there's a clear sort of workingman's aesthetic to the book, which ultimately means that it's quite dully written. Still, it was reasonably entertaining. I'm not sure what to read next; my reading has taken a serious blow and I find it difficult to motivate myself to read at the moment. Even my good pal F. Scott is boring me right now.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #2203
ghostboy

I just finished the fifth volume of Sandman, which just keeps getting better and better the more I read it.

Last time I went to the library I got a huge pile of books, including The Penguin Book of Vampire Stories, Shadows of the Night by Greg Harren (which actually has some good queer horror in it), Tales of Pain and Wonder by Caitlin Kiernan and What We Do Is Secret by Thorn Kief Hillsbery
ghostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:02 AM   #2204
Aaroneet

I just finished CRIME AND PUNISHMENT. Turned out to be an addictive and quick read once I really got going on it, which surprised me. Next is THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY. After that is Paul Auster's MOON PALACE.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:55 AM   #2205
Magpie_Tendencies

Currently on 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'. It's beautiful. It's amazing. the first few chapters make me want to cry, simply because it's what I'd write if I had the eloquence Oscar Wilde has. Read it.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #2206
Aaroneet

So Magpie and I are on the same book. That's a coincidence.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #2207
Saya

Its a damn fine book, been thinking about rereading it again soon, definitely before the new movie comes out.

Off to the bookstore, huzzah!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #2208
Silver_Countess

I've just finished Jane Eyre and a play for school. Both of which were very good.
I have also ordered 'One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.'
Silver_Countess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:33 AM   #2209
zerademark

For my book-test I had to read Dr Jekkyl and Mr Hyde. I have to mention that I'm impressed with Dr Jekkyl theory about light and dark side and his goal of splitten them.

For my free time I'm reading "The Bourn Identity".
3 It is not "You and me", instead it is "Me and you". At the same time "M" is capitalized.
zerademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:52 AM   #2210
Beneath the Shadows

I'm trying to figure out what to read. The only book I have that I haven't read is "Lisey's Story" by Stephen King, but I got bored with him craptastic books long ago. I tried starting it, but I just couldn't keep going.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:40 PM   #2211
CrimsonPythonidae

I was going to read "The Picture of Dorian Gray" but I've started on Terry Pratchett's "The Colour of Magic", which arrived in the post first and now I think I'm addicted to Discworld. . . I think I'll be reading these before I move onto anything else.
CrimsonPythonidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:00 AM   #2212
Schazmyrrh

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux.
I'm quite busy so I've got a long way to go.
Schazmyrrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:04 AM   #2213
Needlefeet

Lightning by Dean Koontz.
Seriously... Getting sick of rhape.
Needlefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:03 AM   #2214
Geoluhread

Interview with the vampire
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #2215
Saya

Bitchfest: Ten Years of Cultural Criticism from the Pages of Bitch Magazine
Old 06-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #2216
Animula

Philip K Dick- The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
Animula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #2217
Bessmertie

John Beckwith - Early Medieval Art
Bessmertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:20 AM   #2218
HavelockV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schazmyrrh View Post
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux.
I'm quite busy so I've got a long way to go.
Which translation are you reading? The copyright-free translation that's used in most printings is extremely awkward and excises many of the most poetic passages from the original novel. I reccomend either the Leonard Wolf or the Lowell Bair, both readily available in paperback through amazon.com. Do enjoy, though!
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:42 AM   #2219
Malice In Wonderland

I'm reading World War Z by Max Brooks.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #2220
CountVonCount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoluhread View Post
Interview with the vampire
Me, too
I decided to bite the bullet and finally read something of Anne Rice's besides her Sleeping Beauty trilogy (which was loverly) but I have to say she's not my cup of tea. At least, Interview isn't but I think that's partially because the whole book is Louis telling the interviewer so she only goes so far with describing the scenery, atmosphere, and all that vampiric stuff. Still it's a good read and I hope to finish the rest of the series.
CountVonCount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #2221
Saya

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, almost done and really enjoying it.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #2222
Geoluhread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountVonCount View Post
Me, too
I decided to bite the bullet and finally read something of Anne Rice's besides her Sleeping Beauty trilogy (which was loverly) but I have to say she's not my cup of tea. At least, Interview isn't but I think that's partially because the whole book is Louis telling the interviewer so she only goes so far with describing the scenery, atmosphere, and all that vampiric stuff. Still it's a good read and I hope to finish the rest of the series.
I didn`t like it much.. I finished it, started reading The Vampire Lestat. I don`t think i`ll finish it.. It all seems kinda gay to me..

I`m currently reading The Count Of Monte Cristo... Got to page 300 and everything is interesting so far..
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Old 07-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #2223
zerademark

I'm re-reading "Racha" from Ismene Krishnadat.

Fuck Twilight, this is a real love story!!!
3 It is not "You and me", instead it is "Me and you". At the same time "M" is capitalized.
zerademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #2224
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoluhread View Post
I didn`t like it much.. I finished it, started reading The Vampire Lestat. I don`t think i`ll finish it.. It all seems kinda gay to me..

I`m currently reading The Count Of Monte Cristo... Got to page 300 and everything is interesting so far..
There's nothing wrong with Lestat being gay :P I only read Interview With A Vampire but I was under the impression then he was gay anyway. But yes, Anne Rice sucks, for other reasons however.

I love the Count Of Monte Cristo, been years since I read it though.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #2225
Geoluhread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
There's nothing wrong with Lestat being gay :P I only read Interview With A Vampire but I was under the impression then he was gay anyway.
Not Lestat, Armand and his crush or love or whatever you may call that thing for Louis.
Jack Osborne

add me on