Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Miss Absynthe

What Shows Are You Watching?

What television series are you watching at the moment?

Why do you watch them, and what do you think of them? Would you recommend them to others?

Do you have a 'guilty pleasure' show that you watch?

Please be careful to not post spoilers.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
wolf moon

My husband and I just watched the pilot of Grimm. I have a thing for fairy tales. I liked it enough that I'm really hoping it turns into something.

Most of my favorite shows are old. I'm a big Joss Whedon fan. Also, Doctor Who. I once knit a Doctor Who scarf. While watching the show. It was unbearably meta. (My former roommate took my scarf with her when she moved out, which ruined the whimsy for me a bit. But maybe one day I'll make another.)
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Miss Absynthe

Lately I'm finding myself catching up on shows that I started watching a while ago and lost track of. I like being able to follow large plot arcs through a series and because of this I often won't watch something while it is showing on tv, but will wait until it is on DVD (or online) so that I don't have to wait for too long between episodes.

At the moment I'm watching:

~Big Love - an HBO show that follows a Mormon poligamous family who live in Utah. I didn't think that I would like it to begin with, but the characters are really well written.

~Supernatural - Sam and Dean are brothers who hunt supernatural monsters. It tends to be a bit 'monster-of-the-week' boring, but can be very amusing at times. There are some fabulous one-liners, and the support cast are brilliant.

~Doctor Who - I grew up watching this and Tom Baker was 'my Doctor', until I watched David Tennant's Doctor and was totally converted (he is so much prettier than Tom Baker!), but now that I have caught up on Matt Smith's Doctor I am thinking that he is starting to be my favourite. Not that it matters, because River Song is SO much more yummy than any of the Doctors could ever be.

I would try to give a blurb about Doctor Who, but it really is indescribable.

~Underbelly: Razor - The Underbelly 'franchise' started as a series of books written about the criminal underworld in Australia (in the 60's the American Mafia tried to move in to Sydney and take over the organised crime here, but they declared that we were all freaking insane and went home). The first series looked at Melbourne in the 90's, the second Sydney in the 80's. This is the third season and it is looking at Sydney in the 1920-30's. Some of the acting is a bit shoddy, but it is SO worth watching for the costume and glamour of that time period.

It's also the first Underbelly series to not mention my family... we are cops.

I'm also watching things like The Walking Dead and American Horror Story, but I'm guessing that a lot of people here are watching them already.

My guilty pleasure show at the moment is the Australian series of Celebrity Apprentice. It is SO freaking bad, I love it.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
Saya

I'm trying to catch up on Community, its just annoying that Big Bang Theory comes on at the same time because we only have one tv in the house and that's what my sister and roommate watch.

I used to watch Supernatural, not much interest now that Castiel isn't going to be around much, crushing my dreams that he and Dean would hook up. We have a pretty hilarious thread around somewhere.

Other than that, I watch Star Trek (original and TNG generally) and Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Actually MST3K is the only thing I really watch religiously all the time. I usually watch an episode before going to bed/it gently puts me to sleep.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
~Underbelly: Razor - The Underbelly 'franchise' started as a series of books written about the criminal underworld in Australia (in the 60's the American Mafia tried to move in to Sydney and take over the organised crime here, but they declared that we were all freaking insane and went home). The first series looked at Melbourne in the 90's, the second Sydney in the 80's. This is the third season and it is looking at Sydney in the 1920-30's. Some of the acting is a bit shoddy, but it is SO worth watching for the costume and glamour of that time period.
This sounds amazing. I want to see this!

We don't technically have our television hooked up to cable, so we don't really watch anything as it's airing unless it's good enough to be purchased on iTunes. Generally, if I can't either find it on Netflix or a friend's hard drive, we don't watch it. This usually isn't a big deal, but sometimes makes me sad. I still haven't seen the Doctor Who episode that Neil Gaiman wrote, and poor husband is absolutely dying to see Game of Thrones. He loves the books.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
From the Ashes

I've been on a bit of a nostalgiac kick, watching shows that I used to watch when I was younger.

The Adventures of Tin-Tin. Good show, a bit worried about Spielberg making a live action movie based on it.

Tenchi Muyo, because I've always loved the animation, and the characters and back stories behind them.
From the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Ben Lahnger

Thumbs up Person of interest

I've been hooked by the Thursday night CBS series "Person of Interest" starring Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson.

An ex-CIA hitman and a scientist team up to prevent crimes before they happen.

Executive Produced by J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot Productions and created/written by Jonathan Nolan (brother and creative collaborator of Christopher Nolan), this gritty bit of techy-detective-actioner is centered around the "Carnivore" software program the U.S. government is rumored to have deployed that monitors all email and electronic correspondence for terrorist-related key words.

Emerson plays haunted genius Harold Finch who developed the program but became concerned about the way the government was going to use the software (and more importantly, not use it ... as in not using it to prevent so-called "small" crimes like kidnapping or murder. Those were considered a bad use of resources.)

So, as a path to assuaging his own sense of guilt, Finch put a small back door into the program that regularly reports to him the social security number of a person who might be the victim, perpetrator or accomplice in one of these "smaller" crimes. He only gets the social, because any more information leaked might be traceable by the government.

With this little bit of information, he hopes to prevent evil, one deed at a time. But as smart as he is, when it comes to being an agent of force in the field, he knows he is ill equipped. So he recruits Caveizel's character John Reese, an ex-CIA special operations agent, who is haunted by his own personal demons due to his professional past and the death of his girlfriend. A reluctant partner at first, Reese starts to see each social security number, each mission, as a possible road to redemption.

So the two dissimilar men find themselves unlikely partners in a weekly race to find out who is in danger, where the threat comes from and how to stop it.

Finch uses computer technology and the ever present security cameras of our modern society to provide information, and Reese uses his special ops knowledge to protect the victims and disarm the bad guys, sometimes quite violently.

It's a nifty gimmick for a show, and so far the writing has kept it interesting. But what really moves me is the acting of Caviezel and Emerson. They got exactly the right two guys for the roles, and their earnest desire to right some wrongs despite their painfully obvious flaws and personal histories is highly compelling!

So far ... 4.5 stars out of 5.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:53 AM   #8
Miss Absynthe

Ok.. that has me interested now. When it started here there were really bad reviews for it, so I never thought about watching it. It was advertised here as basically just a crime drama.

I think I'm going to have to take a look at it.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:09 AM   #9
CuckooTuli

I like big HBO dramas like The Sopranos and The Wire. Mad Men was very good. Breaking Bad is one of the best things I've ever seen.

Also love some good fantasy to geek out over - loved Games of Thrones, and Doctor Who is just brilliant. I also have a mushy place in my heart for Joss Whedon and loved Buffy, Angel and Firefly (although Dollhouse was dismally unwhelming, I thought).

Supernatural is my guilty pleasure show - I have a pretty intense love-hate relationship with it. When it's good, it's very, very good; when it's bad, it's downright embarrassing.
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:47 AM   #10
MissCheyenne

I don't actually have a tv so I watch things a bit late really. I tend to either watch stuff online, at my boyfriends or I buy the DVDS. Recently I've been watching Dr Who, Breaking Bad, Bones and Criminal Minds. I loved Game of Thrones and I too have a mushy place in my heart for Joss Whedon shows. It pains me to admit it but I do quite like Big Bang Theory, that's probably my guilty pleasure. I also love older shows like the X-Files, Blackadder and Red Dwarf. Oh, and I've been re watching Spaced, Nathan Barley and Green Wing.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:17 AM   #11
CuckooTuli

Oh, Red Dwarf is awesome, yeah - another show I have a gooey spot for. Anything involving Chris Morris or Steve Coogan is usually a winner for me as well. And watching The Thick of It is like witnessing the Shakespeare of our time.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:25 AM   #12
MissCheyenne

Steve Coogan was pretty awesome in his prime. Still good but maybe not quite as good as he used to be. Alan Partridge was genius.

I am your slice of pie
Old 11-04-2011, 05:29 AM   #13
CuckooTuli

Wasn't it? I liked Saxondale, as well. It really grew on me after a few episodes. But nothing will ever top season 1 of I'm Alan Partridge. I would easily rate that as one of the best comedy series ever made.

I must admit I really hated The Trip with Rob Brydon. I did laugh a few times, but the whole thing was just so self-indulgent and onanistic.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #14
MissCheyenne

Yeah, The Trip just didn't live up to expectations. It could have been so much better than it was. I'm always torn about Saxondale, I liked some of it but a lot of it I thought seemed like it was trying too hard to live up to things like I'm Alan Partridge, you know?

I am your slice of pie
Old 11-04-2011, 05:41 AM   #15
CuckooTuli

Yeah, I took a while to get into it for similar reasons, I think. For the first couple of eps I just didn't think it was all that, but I think it's a little like Father Ted in terms of needing to just embrace the 'verse it takes place in (though to a far lesser extent - it's nowhere near as surreal). I came away with a real affection for it on the whole. Have you seen both series? It's something I'd recommend sticking with if you've only seen a few. I found it a real grower.

Also, nothing can live up to Alan... not really.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:44 AM   #16
MissCheyenne

I think I only saw the first one. I probably got distracted by something else so I never saw the second series.

I am your slice of pie
Old 11-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #17
CuckooTuli

The Ruth Jones connection just reminded me that Nighty Night is very good, too. I love Julia Davis. Bitch is fucking twisted.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #18
Beowulf

Recently I`ve been watching `The Pillars Of The Earth` which is a fantastic mini series based on Ken Follets best selling novel of the same title.

It is set during the war of succession (The Anarchy) in 12th century England ...

`The Pillars of the Earth is a historical novel by Ken Follett published in 1989 about the building of a cathedral in the fictional town of Kingsbridge, England. It is set in the middle of the 12th century, primarily during the Anarchy, between the time of the sinking of the White Ship and the murder of Thomas Becket. The book traces the development of Gothic architecture out of the preceding Romanesque architecture and the fortunes of the Kingsbridge priory against the backdrop of actual historical events of the time.`

Source

The Pillars of the Earth is an eight part 2010 TV miniseries, adapted from Ken Follett's novel of the same name. It debuted in the U.S. on Starz and Canada on The Movie Network/Movie Central on July 23, 2010. Its UK premiere was on Channel 4 in October 2010 at 9pm. In 2011, the series was nominated at the 68th Annual Golden Globe Awards.

source ...

One of the best historical mini series I`ve seen since `Rome` !!!.

Awesome !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #19
Grausamkeit

Grimm

So far, I'm liking this series.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #20
carakitty

Quote:
What television series are you watching at the moment?

Why do you watch them, and what do you think of them? Would you recommend them to others?

Do you have a 'guilty pleasure' show that you watch?

I am currently watching "House" and bits + pieces of "Terra Nova". TN is aired at the time I'm getting the Kitten helped with bed time so I miss most of it.

I like "House" because Dr. House reminds me a lot of Mr. Kitty, I like the way the Doctors banter amongst themselves at the conference table, and the show keeps me guessing to what will happen next. This is my first season watching it and I'm thinking about getting caught up on the history of the show. I also just plain like the medical-centered shows. Grew up nearly addicted to "Doogie Houser, MD", then graduated to "ER", and now have found "House".

As for "Terra Nova" I like the character development and dinosaurs. I think the concept of time traveling through portals is cool.

I do recommend both these shows.

My 'guilty pleasure' show, when it's in season, is "True Blood".
Old 11-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #21
CyanideandRaspberryTea

Supernatural, Alias and The Walking Dead.
CyanideandRaspberryTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #22
wolf moon

Currently going through this really awkward but awesome rotation of Buffy, My Little Pony, and Ruby Gloom. I can't even explain.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #23
Miss Absynthe

Last episode of Criminal Minds: Suspect Behaviour - good-guy and sort-of-bad-guy both held at gun point, screen goes black and a gunshot heard... typical cliff-hanger season ending type stuff.

EXCEPT THAT THE SERIES WAS AXED AFTER THIS EPISODE! WTF!!

I WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT HAPPENED! (
Old 11-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #24
Solumina

Stargate Atlantis isn't nearly as satisfying as SG1 but it does have it's moments.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:15 AM   #25
MissCheyenne

I started watching the second series of The Killing. The first one was really good. Well, the original not the American remake that is. It's dark and gritty without seeming to try too hard. I also appreciate the fact that while the lead actress is by no means dog ugly, she isn't a super glossy, highly stylised model type either.

I am your slice of pie