Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #1
Linen

Talking LONG-haired people unite!

So, if you have long hair (say, below shoulder length or longer), talk about it here! Post photos if you'd like, and share advice about how to keep your long hair looking lovely.

My hair is currently about 5-6 inches above waist length at 27.5 inches, and I plan on growing it just past my waist (maybe hip length). I will update with a photo when I get home tonight.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
Necropolis

I have long straight hair. It's at my ass; I guess it's like 2 feet long at this point.

I stopped using chemical dye and have taken to this demi-permanent color made with honey and some clear mixed in, which makes it obscenely shiny, very soft and silky.
Necropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:31 AM   #3
Metabolik

I want long hair...but my Mum keeps forcing me to get it cut D':
Old 09-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
Linen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necropolis
I have long straight hair. It's at my ass; I guess it's like 2 feet long at this point.

I stopped using chemical dye and have taken to this demi-permanent color made with honey and some clear mixed in, which makes it obscenely shiny, very soft and silky.
Your hair must be longer than that unless you are very short, because my hair is over 2 feet and only reaches my mid-back. Of course, long hair enthusiasts measure their hair length from the front hairline (above your forehead) to the tips in the back, rather than taking one strand and measuring it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metabolik
How old are you? Does your mother make you cut it for some moral reasons, because she thinks it looks better, or just because she doesn't want you to have to fuss with it?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
Romantic Raven

My hair reaches my mid-back, too. I can't wait for it to grow down to my waist! I also have a thick fringe. My hair is a nice shade of brown, and I used to have black streaks, but the dye didn't last too long. Right now I'm wondering whether I should re-dye it. Hmm... Anyway, it has a natural shine, I don't really need to take special care of it.

So, now that I've introduced you to my hair, I'm going to go rant somewhere else. Buh-bye!
"I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me." - Charles Baudelaire
Romantic Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
Mistress Lilith

Mine is about mid-lower back. It was purple back in July, I used some of the two week mousse dye. I like my natural color (dark brown with natural red highlights) and don't want to lose it. I think I'm going to dye it black soon though.
Mistress Lilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:02 PM   #7
Cyntrox

Mine is slightly below my shoulders... I want more, but it's growing so slowly!
Old 09-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #8
TopHaggardDoll

Mine is down to the middle of my back...it was longer...but I cut it 2 years ago....I have shaved half of it off...but that means I have the best of two worlds...

^_^!
Old 09-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #9
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Shoulder length and still growing.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #10
honeythorn

Mine is just above my bra strap and it won't grow I get the ends trimmed, I only dye it every four months to give it chance to recover..It's always been slow, even before I dyed it. It's never visited my elbows even And permanent black dye won't stay in it either . I really hate my hair. I'm now attempting to grow my fringe quite long, so I can tease it and crimp sections, and make it big and poofy ( sort of ) .
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #11
Linen

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
Mine is just above my bra strap and it won't grow I get the ends trimmed, I only dye it every four months to give it chance to recover..It's always been slow, even before I dyed it. It's never visited my elbows even And permanent black dye won't stay in it either . I really hate my hair. I'm now attempting to grow my fringe quite long, so I can tease it and crimp sections, and make it big and poofy ( sort of ) .
How often do you trim it and how much? Trimming actually isn't as necessary as most people seem to think. If you cut down on the product, use of heat, and use of shampoos containing sulfate, you won't need to trim as often. Maybe you can get away with trimming only once a year, and even then you can just trim the split ends yourself - though that's time consuming.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #12
honeythorn

I get my mom to take and inch or two off every couple of months, just the dead spilt ends really :/. I only use a hairdryer on a medium heat , and I started using a heat protect spray a few weeks ago. I rarely use any kind of product other than the heat protect and a little bit of hairspray on my fringe occasionally.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:11 PM   #13
DefinedRapture

my hair used to be so long. I miss it at times. It used to go to my lower back/where my butt bone started, and now its only pass my shoulder blades.

Ive dyed it so many times too. Many-a-colors from manic panic and the stright black. If i hadnt of bleached it, id of been better off. Now i get to wait for it to grow back. Takes forever..
DefinedRapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:48 PM   #14
Necropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metabolik
Oh yay another person who likes metal.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:53 PM   #15
Necropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linen
Your hair must be longer than that unless you are very short, because my hair is over 2 feet and only reaches my mid-back. Of course, long hair enthusiasts measure their hair length from the front hairline (above your forehead) to the tips in the back, rather than taking one strand and measuring it.
Well, I am 5'4''. I haven't measured it, but it's definitely to my ass, so whatever that is.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:13 PM   #16
Lapin

You elitist berks. Some of us have tangley, thick, uncontrollable hair that we have to keep four inches long just to stop it from going crazy.

You lot can shove it.

Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:29 PM   #17
kimaru

My grandma would always cut off all of my hair when I went to her house...so I'm letting it grow now. The front is a little bit past my shoulders but in the back its just past where my hair starts growing because of the hair cut I used to have.
kimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:03 PM   #18
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Some people have a short hair growth cycle. Some people can't grow their hair past their shoulders...no matter what they do.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:30 PM   #19
Linen

Quote:
I get my mom to take and inch or two off every couple of months, just the dead spilt ends really :/. I only use a hairdryer on a medium heat , and I started using a heat protect spray a few weeks ago. I rarely use any kind of product other than the heat protect and a little bit of hairspray on my fringe occasionally.
If you are taking an inch or two off every couple of months, you are basically cutting off more than any growth you might have had (hair only grows an average of 1/3 to 1/2 of an inch per month). If you feel your hair is so split that you *must* trim, only trim about 1/2 an inch every 3-4 months. It's true that some peoples' hair naturally won't grow long, but I'm willing to bet your problem is more that you are cutting too much too frequently. Give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necropolis
Well, I am 5'4''. I haven't measured it, but it's definitely to my ass, so whatever that is.
Cool.. my hair would have to be about 40 inches long to reach my butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin
You elitist berks. Some of us have tangley, thick, uncontrollable hair that we have to keep four inches long just to stop it from going crazy.

You lot can shove it.

Aww. I'm sorry. I wish my hair was thick (apparently I have a lot of hair but it's medium-fine). I can certainly relate to tangles, but not to uncontrollable.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:46 PM   #20
kwaniesiam

My hair is henna-red and at my waist right now. I'm aiming for past-butt length I don't have any recent pics...the color is a little darker, deeper red now and its also a few inches longer. My hair is naturally wavy and I just let it do its thing because it's also very fine and thin.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90...E/DSCN2655.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90...E/DSCN2669.jpg That is an infinity bun held up with one hairstick.

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/ is a wonderful site for long hair advice, care, and talk. Hopefully when I get a camera I'll be able to post more pics in general...
kwaniesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:09 PM   #21
Cicero

My hair got past my arse-crack, and that is when I chose to cut it.

It's now down to my shoulders and I love it. It can be teased, bleached, crimped, dyed and abused in every way and I don't feel guilty about it! Plus I don't mess it up the moment I lean back - I used to get the worst knots in my hair during plane trips, argh.

Though I still keep my two/three feet or so of decrepit old keratin in a plastic bag, tied together with an elastic band, haha. I think I've missed having it attached to my head for a total of five minutes in the 2 months its been gone.

Good on you people who are able to take care of it though. It's a big job to keep Rapunzel hair looking gorgeous and healthy.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #22
soveryfragile

My hair around 3-4 inches past my waist. I love long hair. On both females and males. The only thing my hair requires is a really good, thick, conditioner. I currently use Quantum shampoo and conditioner - its good stuff! People ask me how long I have been growing it and I honestly dont know. lol. I hate that question. Neways. You long haired ppl rock!
soveryfragile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #23
ForgetThisLostLenore

Mine grows in spurts. It's at about the bottom of my shoulder-blades now, but it stopped growing and this is where it stopped last I cut it. I'll give it more time, but I don't think it's going to grow any more. I'm considering cutting it to chin-length.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:54 PM   #24
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linen

Cool.. my hair would have to be about 40 inches long to reach my butt.
You have an enormous torso then

My entire torso from head to waist is only 28 inches long lol, my legs are 49 though , im horribly disproportoined

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:26 PM   #25
XxDeranged InsanityxX

I have long curly hair.It's naturally dark brown,i haven't dyed it in a while.It reaches down to about mid-back.
XxDeranged InsanityxX is offline   Reply With Quote