Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #126
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Maybe its because I'm learning to distrust the feelings of defensiveness and discomfort that I get when I'm called out and just trust you when I say something that betrays my blindness to racism. Maybe its how we built up a trust and a love that burns with the passion of a thousand Tatooine suns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBYnT8JY7sE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #127
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
I grow so tired of revolution...

Everything is so... soviet on G.net now.
What do you mean?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #128
Solumina

I wouldn't say soviet but yeah everything here is so volatile, tempers flair at the drop of a hat and if people butt heads once you may as well be mortal enemies. A lot of the fun went away and I think a lot of people have no idea why the whole place seems so much more serious.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #129
AshleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
What do you mean?
It's a joke.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #130
Versus

I mean that it's over my head. Oh well.

Also, I'd let Lionel Richie lick my butt in his youth.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #131
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
I wouldn't say soviet but yeah everything here is so volatile, tempers flair at the drop of a hat and if people butt heads once you may as well be mortal enemies. A lot of the fun went away and I think a lot of people have no idea why the whole place seems so much more serious.
I think Gnet always had its ups and downs. Remember when she who shall not be named made us all believed she was in a car accident and on life support?

Also, this might cheer you up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo-tWlETq8w
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #132
AshleyO

Quote:

Also, I'd let Lionel Richie lick my butt in his youth.
It's a joke from Black Books.

Sometimes I see G.net in a kind of post-Kontan/Despanan state.

Things are far more serious than they used to be... at least from this side of the fence. Things aren't so funny anymore.

Frankly, I wouldn't even know how to be a troll anymore that was thought of as funny. I used to use a lot of bad... parallels to make jokes and my old brand of trolling isn't that funny anymore. Hence the "Everything is so soviet" joke.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #133
Solumina

I forgot about the life support part but yeah I know, sometimes this place completely sucks and it really isn't that bad right now but there is tension and it has leached out of specific threads and contaminated a good chunk of this place.

I'm kind of getting sick of Gangnam style but Deadpool always puts a smile on my face so thanks for that.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #134
AshleyO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Old 10-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #135
BourbonBoy

(Shakes fists in fury before throwing last empty beer bottle at random vehicle driving past his house)

"Damn you Rick Astley!!!!!111!!!1111!!!!1!"
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #136
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
I'm kind of getting sick of Gangnam style but Deadpool always puts a smile on my face so thanks for that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zPiQgUQt3E

And Bingo. Suck it motherfuckers.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #137
Solumina

So what do you get for winning Bingo? Is there a table of old timey racist toys to choose from?
-Carbon Leaf
Old 10-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #138
Versus

I basically just want to sit on a hand grenade. Emotionally drained, you know?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #139
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Is it really beyond your ken, Versus? I think an analogy to the early Soviet period is apt, if I may say so without shaming the memory of the millions who perished by purge, pogrom, and ill-conceived collectivization initiative. As my admittedly blue eyes see it, you fools have forced out all real ideological opposition and are now rending each other limb from virtual limb-- if I may say so without shaming the memory of all those dragged asunder by the tyranny of Edward I-- over semantics in order to-- forgive me-- occupy your time. Presiding over this miserable ordeal is a First Citizen of unimpeachable progressive piety, and if one's words provoke this man of steel, the ostensible nature or intent of those words doesn't matter: the offender fucked up, and better feel bad about it.

To preface the rest of my post and contextualize my extremely insensitive comparison of Versus to Stalin, I feel I should clarify that I'm racist, misogynist, and heterosexist. I'll throw in that I'm classist too, for good measure. I was brought up by racist, heterosexist, misogynist classists and have spent my entire life in racist, misogynist, heterosexist, classist institutions-- 1% born and bred. Is it bourgeois to say "1%" now? Well, that's true to form, because I'm bourgeois. My Jewish identity only complicates this in that it fills me with a titanic persecution complex and profound self-loathing that feed each other endlessly. Despite my red sympathies, objectively speaking there's no doubt that I'm part of the problem in this little world we've perniciously made, and to remove me therefrom could really only improve things. For anyone interested in assassinating me, I can usually be found in and around Harvard Yard, where, in exchange for obscene capital, predominantly white, male professors struggle in vain to narcotize me into thinking I'm a warrior-philosopher for the side of social progress rather than a loathsome parasite. Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm a hopeless narcissist, and from all that time looking in the mirror, I know very well what a total asshole looks like, so I can say definitively say, Versus, that in this respect you and I are soul brothas.

Although as a classicist (not the same as a classist, but related) I am compelled to object to Saya's idea that the reality of slavery in ancient Greece and Rome does not still live in the intellectual heart of western civilization, on the whole I can't even articulate how little I care about the argument that blazed through this thread. I suppose that speaks to my foresaid privilege, but, as hard as I try, I really can't help not caring. I don't begrudge Versus the right to be upset when the word 'slavery' is used in characterizing something that, in his mind, is not slavery, nor do I begrudge Despanan the right to use the word 'slavery' in characterizing something that, in Versus' mind, is not slavery. Maybe it takes blue eyes, but through the thin veil of pedantic quibbling I can clearly see the unmistakable jaundiced shimmer of a hollow pissing contest. To believe that any of this shit is really about race or class or anything important would require me to think, as I'm not particularly inclined to do, that Versus is a dumbass reactionary, unable to perceive Despanan's post for what it was: just an idle attempt to share some liberal bona fides with his comrades here at the headquarters of the global revolution and the web's one-stop spot for bone chilling literary culture. He didn't really mean to imply that white people have had it worse than black people, and, Versus, I believe you fucking know that, but instead of posting "while I think the four far-left commies who read this forum can all agree that this is certainly unconscionable, I'm not sure how I feel about your use of the term slavery. That word is highly racialized in its connotations, and perhaps we should move toward a more precise lexicon when we talk about this kind of injustice", you came out swinging with some condescending, cryptic bullshit guessing game of pinko penance. Of course, your cloying toady is right that it isn't your job to (re?)"educate" other people if you don't feel so inclined, but it's clearly your pleasure to disparage and humiliate other people. I don't presume to know what your life is or has been like-- save for that it's probably less flush with plunder of white supremacy and capitalism than mine, for which fact I offer a perfunctory, meaningless apology-- but outside of that life, in this insipid, insular little internet clique, you do possess auctoritas and you crave more. There's no sociology going on here, just bubblegum pop psychology. It's a sophistic dialectic, a clash of forum royalty, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing, and, frankly, seeing an issue like this trivialized and debased to serve as the dueling circle for two fuckheads in a forgotten, faux-victorian bordered corner of cyberspace strikes me as pretty gross, but I'm just a racist, classist, heterosexist misogynist, so what do I know? I'm sure all the casualties of the trade in African men, women and children will be comforted to know that we've agreed to rank them several orders above the Magdelin washerwomen on the hierarchy of suffering.

The fact is we're all fucked-up people addled with neuroses and insecurities, battle scars of our infant psyches' Hegelian assimilation by an awful society (Certainly Saya's are on full display here-- girl, a little self-awareness is good, but the doubt and guilt that seems to haunt every single thought you have worries me; I hope it's just my blue eyes that look at you and see Wanda Ileen Barzee). There is no actual man of steel, void of hypocrisy, and chasing that ideal with such venom speaks-- loudly-- to a serious angst. It'd probably be too tedious for the big kids on this playground to actually just be friends, and it'd probably be too awkward to dispense with any pretense for eviscerating each other, so it's unlikely that anyone will take anything away from this post, especially given that I'm blinded by white maledom and totally wrong about everything, but I felt compelled to try putting things in perspective, said perspective being that this thread is fucking insane. If you want some real anti-capitalist capital, ditch this small-time nonsense and please, come assassinate me. If I may say so without shaming the memory of Twin Peaks, you'd make a great lynch mob.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #140
Solumina

Yeah I know V, do what ever you need to recharge. I'm kind of a, avoid any human interaction, curl up with some hot cocoa, and listen to the waves kind of person. It doesn't make things all better but at least it soothes away the tension headache.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 10-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #141
gothicusmaximus

I forgot something. Speaking of Stalinist Russia, The Master and Margarita is a great book. You should all check it out, if you haven't already. It's goffik.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #142
Miss Absynthe

@Versus - that's part of the fucked up side of trying to help people educate themselves.. and another reason we shouldn't obligate people from marginalised and oppressed groups to educate society - it pretty much constantly hits triggers. Even when conversation seems to be staying in the more clinical and academic area, or when people are being gentle with other people's feelings.. it is exhausting talking about things that hit triggers.

Bubble baths help. :|
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #143
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
Excellence.
Just when I was starting to really doubt whether this forum was worth a browser tab, the man returns for at least a drive-by. Beautiful.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #144
Versus

Seriously, does anybody understand what my issue with Desp's post was?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #145
Saya

You hate white people, and are trying to take away our freedom?
Old 10-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #146
edorien

Quote:
Seriously, does anybody understand what my issue with Desp's post was?
I get where you're coming from but I can't really comment in any depth as a good part of the issue seems to be dependent on previous interactions regarding which I have no knowledge.
edorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #147
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
Is it really beyond your ken, Versus? I think an analogy to the early Soviet period is apt, if I may say so without shaming the memory of the millions who perished by purge, pogrom, and ill-conceived collectivization initiative. As my admittedly blue eyes see it, you fools have forced out all real ideological opposition and are now rending each other limb from virtual limb-- if I may say so without shaming the memory of all those dragged asunder by the tyranny of Edward I-- over semantics in order to-- forgive me-- occupy your time. Presiding over this miserable ordeal is a First Citizen of unimpeachable progressive piety, and if one's words provoke this man of steel, the ostensible nature or intent of those words doesn't matter: the offender fucked up, and better feel bad about it.

To preface the rest of my post and contextualize my extremely insensitive comparison of Versus to Stalin, I feel I should clarify that I'm racist, misogynist, and heterosexist. I'll throw in that I'm classist too, for good measure. I was brought up by racist, heterosexist, misogynist classists and have spent my entire life in racist, misogynist, heterosexist, classist institutions-- 1% born and bred. Is it bourgeois to say "1%" now? Well, that's true to form, because I'm bourgeois. My Jewish identity only complicates this in that it fills me with a titanic persecution complex and profound self-loathing that feed each other endlessly. Despite my red sympathies, objectively speaking there's no doubt that I'm part of the problem in this little world we've perniciously made, and to remove me therefrom could really only improve things. For anyone interested in assassinating me, I can usually be found in and around Harvard Yard, where, in exchange for obscene capital, predominantly white, male professors struggle in vain to narcotize me into thinking I'm a warrior-philosopher for the side of social progress rather than a loathsome parasite. Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm a hopeless narcissist, and from all that time looking in the mirror, I know very well what a total asshole looks like, so I can say definitively say, Versus, that in this respect you and I are soul brothas.

Although as a classicist (not the same as a classist, but related) I am compelled to object to Saya's idea that the reality of slavery in ancient Greece and Rome does not still live in the intellectual heart of western civilization, on the whole I can't even articulate how little I care about the argument that blazed through this thread. I suppose that speaks to my foresaid privilege, but, as hard as I try, I really can't help not caring. I don't begrudge Versus the right to be upset when the word 'slavery' is used in characterizing something that, in his mind, is not slavery, nor do I begrudge Despanan the right to use the word 'slavery' in characterizing something that, in Versus' mind, is not slavery. Maybe it takes blue eyes, but through the thin veil of pedantic quibbling I can clearly see the unmistakable jaundiced shimmer of a hollow pissing contest. To believe that any of this shit is really about race or class or anything important would require me to think, as I'm not particularly inclined to do, that Versus is a dumbass reactionary, unable to perceive Despanan's post for what it was: just an idle attempt to share some liberal bona fides with his comrades here at the headquarters of the global revolution and the web's one-stop spot for bone chilling literary culture. He didn't really mean to imply that white people have had it worse than black people, and, Versus, I believe you fucking know that, but instead of posting "while I think the four far-left commies who read this forum can all agree that this is certainly unconscionable, I'm not sure how I feel about your use of the term slavery. That word is highly racialized in its connotations, and perhaps we should move toward a more precise lexicon when we talk about this kind of injustice", you came out swinging with some condescending, cryptic bullshit guessing game of pinko penance. Of course, your cloying toady is right that it isn't your job to (re?)"educate" other people if you don't feel so inclined, but it's clearly your pleasure to disparage and humiliate other people. I don't presume to know what your life is or has been like-- save for that it's probably less flush with plunder of white supremacy and capitalism than mine, for which fact I offer a perfunctory, meaningless apology-- but outside of that life, in this insipid, insular little internet clique, you do possess auctoritas and you crave more. There's no sociology going on here, just bubblegum pop psychology. It's a sophistic dialectic, a clash of forum royalty, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing, and, frankly, seeing an issue like this trivialized and debased to serve as the dueling circle for two fuckheads in a forgotten, faux-victorian bordered corner of cyberspace strikes me as pretty gross, but I'm just a racist, classist, heterosexist misogynist, so what do I know? I'm sure all the casualties of the trade in African men, women and children will be comforted to know that we've agreed to rank them several orders above the Magdelin washerwomen on the hierarchy of suffering.

The fact is we're all fucked-up people addled with neuroses and insecurities, battle scars of our infant psyches' Hegelian assimilation by an awful society (Certainly Saya's are on full display here-- girl, a little self-awareness is good, but the doubt and guilt that seems to haunt every single thought you have worries me; I hope it's just my blue eyes that look at you and see Wanda Ileen Barzee). There is no actual man of steel, void of hypocrisy, and chasing that ideal with such venom speaks-- loudly-- to a serious angst. It'd probably be too tedious for the big kids on this playground to actually just be friends, and it'd probably be too awkward to dispense with any pretense for eviscerating each other, so it's unlikely that anyone will take anything away from this post, especially given that I'm blinded by white maledom and totally wrong about everything, but I felt compelled to try putting things in perspective, said perspective being that this thread is fucking insane. If you want some real anti-capitalist capital, ditch this small-time nonsense and please, come assassinate me. If I may say so without shaming the memory of Twin Peaks, you'd make a great lynch mob.
For fuck's sake, I read this post and now there's cum EVERYWHERE
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #148
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by edorien View Post
I get where you're coming from but I can't really comment in any depth as a good part of the issue seems to be dependent on previous interactions regarding which I have no knowledge.
Well, hey. At least you and a few of the others can admit that you don't really understand. I feel that still has more substance then what I can only describe as the wall of literary masturbation.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #149
Alan

How many times has it be said that one can't do anything about privilege, just be aware that it's there?
Despanan has evolved incredibly in the last four years, and yet you give him more flak than numerous conservative and even racist members we have had.

you didn't try to teach him shit; hell, I don't even think you were that offended initially. Otherwise your response wouldn't have been a patronizing "slavery, huh?"

I stand by my initial assessment: This thread is an idiotic post-colonial dick-waving contest ever since you took it upon yourself to be the arbiter on what constitutes slavery.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #150
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
How many times has it be said that one can't do anything about privilege, just be aware that it's there?
Despanan has evolved incredibly in the last four years, and yet you give him more flak than numerous conservative and even racist members we have had.
Really? He's come out now and said Versus is whiteshaming and that its racist to tell him that white people don't understand what its like to be black.

The more we talk to him about any kind of issue be it Occupy or religion or feminism, the more he reveals he's only concerned with issues in which he can blame other people rather than look at himself critically. We should be happy he cares about these women at all and shouldn't be upset he thinks his American sisters should shut up about Occupy being sexist.

Which is weird, because he's said before the only reason he started caring about classism and changed his mind about capitalism was when he moved and found out how hard it is to struggle on your own. But unless he's secretly trans, he just can't have the same experience with womanness and there's nothing in the world that can make him black. He hates the idea that there's experiences that as a privileged person he can't have access to.

Quote:
you didn't try to teach him shit; hell, I don't even think you were that offended initially. Otherwise your response wouldn't have been a patronizing "slavery, huh?"
Why does Versus have to teach him after several threads of trying to teach him?

Quote:
I stand by my initial assessment: This thread is an idiotic post-colonial dick-waving contest ever since you took it upon yourself to be the arbiter on what constitutes slavery.
He's said several times now that he didn't mean that its not slavery and he's not the arbiter, initially all it was is side eying the guy who has a history of not caring about criticisms of whiteness, and of using racialized words like the n-word for shits and giggles or images of abused women to appropriate for his Occupy group, who now decides to emphasize that the church engages in slavery, with capital letters.

And those of us who aren't black immediately jumped the gun and assumed he was saying white people can't say it.