Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
Draconysius

Your=You're

I don't know how the hell this all started, but it seems EVERYWHERE I go on the internet these days, every single person types "Your" in posession instead of "You're" as in You-Are. It pisses me off so bad when people replace "you're" with "your"! Jesus you lazy fuck, the correct form is only two extra keystrokes away! Are all you people illiterate or just lazy? >.<

Sorry, had to get that out.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
Dookie

Most of the time those people are either really lazy or just really do not realize the difference. It is quite disappointing. I agree with you it angers me. Also there, their, and they're people misuse all the time.
Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
And using "to" instead of "too".

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
Pyre

Oh, that doesn't seem as popular as the substitution of "loose" for "lose". I have been in many an argument over this, but people still don't get that "loose" sounds like "goose," whereas "lose" sounds like "ooze".

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
Rizash

people are lazy... look at all the words people misuse these days. I could understand it if they cant type, but who in this day and age cant type? At any rate... people use the language to how they see fit, not much you can do about it. Trust me, until high school I was one of the people who was correcting people for improper grammar... growing up with an English teacher for a mom really made me crazy about proper language use.... High school rolled around, people turned freakish with the languages, so I stopped caring all together. Thats why I dont even use proper sentance structure in posts... I just dont care because half the people wouldnt even notice.
Rizash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
Pyre

I used to be a nazi about grammar. If someone misspelled something, I would jump on them about it. Now, I have simmered down, and will only occasionally poke fun at someone who misspells a word.

Did you know the most commonly misspelled word is misspell?

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Old 12-03-2006, 03:37 PM   #7
c130

The one that bugs me the most is "I could care less".

All the others, I've developed an immunity towards. But when someone says "I could care less about that", I just feel like kicking the shit out of them.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #8
HumanePain

The original phrase was:

"I couldn't care less."

N'est pas?

Old 12-03-2006, 03:49 PM   #9
Pyre

Correct. I used to say "I could care less" until my boyfriend at the time pointed out to me it was incorrect. He liked to do that, point out everything that was wrong, which only belittled me and made me feel inferior ::mumble mumble:: I hate men.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:55 PM   #10
c130

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
The original phrase was:

"I couldn't care less."

N'est pas?
Quite often they don't even listen to me when I tell them this. Or they'll flat-out deny it, saying "well this is how WE spell it!"
Old 12-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #11
HumanePain

I know, similar to:

"irregardless". I participate in meetings with other middle age men, college educated men, who STILL use this "word".

Old 12-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #12
Pyre

Irregardless? What the eff is that? o.O

I have made the mistake before of saying "unprogress" or something, but that has always been a brain fart, as I tend to think either too far ahead or too far behind my tongue, and things tend to come out all wrong.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:32 PM   #13
BlackButterfly

I know what you mean--I make up words, but only because sometimes it helps to gets the point across when you're having a brain fart.

Just the other day I made up "condimentalize" (something to do with making sandwiches)... it's good for the imagination to make up words.
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:37 PM   #14
Pyre

I am going to condimentalize your FACE.

I have had an argument with a friend (won't name who, ::cough:: ) who swore up and down that "upside-downward" is a word. I tried and tried to tell him that "upside-down" is a word, and "downward" is a word, but together they are complete nonsense. He still doesn't believe me.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #15
HumanePain

Was your friend's name George W. Bush by any chance?

Old 12-03-2006, 04:43 PM   #16
BlackButterfly

What?!? Condimentalize ME??? I shall mustardize your ear! I shall salt-and-pepperize your very toenails!

::laughs::

I always let people know when I make up a word if I happen to use one while talking to them. It IS funny to get the "is that a word?" look though...
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
Old 12-03-2006, 04:46 PM   #17
om3gag0th666

Everyone is saying how much they hate morons with grammar, and spelling, yet you are all making horrible mistakes.
om3gag0th666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:49 PM   #18
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by om3gag0th666
Everyone is saying how much they hate morons with grammar, and spelling, yet you are all making horrible mistakes.
And yet you needlessly put a comma between "grammar, and spelling" where one is unnecessary.

We are not poking fun at mechanics, we are poking fun at the words one uses.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:07 PM   #19
HumanePain

Quote:
Originally Posted by om3gag0th666
Hey, this is the whining board! I can whine if I want to, cry if I want to, sigh if I want to, cry if I want to, you would cry too if it happened to you!

Old 12-03-2006, 07:53 PM   #20
Rizash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre
Correct. I used to say "I could care less" until my boyfriend at the time pointed out to me it was incorrect. He liked to do that, point out everything that was wrong, which only belittled me and made me feel inferior ::mumble mumble:: I hate men.

Not all of us are like that... *pouts*
Old 12-03-2006, 07:58 PM   #21
LaBelleDameSansMerci

I'm not bothered unless people type like "LOLZ plz! omfg i cant blev u just said that!!!!1111!!1 there gonna b so pissd u said that!!!11111111!!!11111111!!!!!"
The "your/you're" and "their/they're/there" mix-up does make me angry though.

I find forum posts to be more like dialogue, in which some parts of sentences are left out for convenience.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:00 PM   #22
Rizash

When I go on a rant I just spam the hell out of them with (what the hell... I'll insert a new thought here, yeah, that sounds good....).... I hit ... way too much and insert after-thoughts in (thought bubbles placed mid sentance) the middle of the sentance.

I'm frequently misunderstood becaues I have 3 or more trains of thought going at once AND I type well over 100 words per minute... so when I am typing at a good clip my mind runs out of buffer and I just start spraying words... of course... sometimes my mind is going faster than my fingers and then I typo or miss words or just plain cut out chunks of a sentance. Its strange how the human brain works....

At any rate I dont care for proper grammar. People can take the time and effort to understand me or they can poke fun of me. As long as its in good taste and not a direct insult I really dont care.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:26 PM   #23
BlackButterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizash
I'm frequently misunderstood becaues I have 3 or more trains of thought going at once AND I type well over 100 words per minute... so when I am typing at a good clip my mind runs out of buffer and I just start spraying words... of course... sometimes my mind is going faster than my fingers and then I typo or miss words or just plain cut out chunks of a sentance. Its strange how the human brain works....
You just perfectly explained the reason why I don't talk much (replace typing with speaking, etc.). It's hard to speak when you have three fully formed sentences at the threshold of speech that all want to come out simultaneously.

It's constantly having to choose between "either sound really stupid" or "::sigh:: just keep your mouth shut"...

c130
Old 12-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #24
LaBelleDameSansMerci

I generally keep my mouth shut in person cuz I'm never sure if I actually want to say something or not.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:05 AM   #25
om3gag0th666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre
And yet you needlessly put a comma between "grammar, and spelling" where one is unnecessary.

We are not poking fun at mechanics, we are poking fun at the words one uses.
Show me the comma rule for that, I used a coordinating conjunction to seperate an idea. You are wrong.
om3gag0th666 is offline   Reply With Quote