Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
BlacKat

Finding practical goth shoes

Warning: much whining ahead

I am starting to get really annoyed with shoe shopping. I do a lot of walking in a day. I don't mind changing shoes when I get to the office, but my classes are in three different buildings and I am not hauling snowboots around all day. I also live in an area that gets a lot of snow.

This gives me the challenge of finding a boot that:

(1) Has neither a heel nor a platform.
(2) Will withstand spending most of the day on my feet without hurting
(3) Have sufficient traction to handle ice
(4) Are or can be made waterproof
(5) Costs less than $100

Wheeee! I'm hoping to find some military surplus boots, but I'm kind of tiny and not sure if they'll come small enough. Why do "pretty" and "practical" have to be so opposite in women's fashion?
BlacKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
MissCheyenne

I always found my Dr Martens the most practical boots I have for ice and snow. Always a bitch to break in though.

Edit: I have these ones myself among others :http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Martens-Wom...3793776&sr=1-9

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
LilithsDaughter

I have these (but with zippers): http://www.x-tra-x.de/30-loch-stiefel-362.html
and sometimes I wear these: http://www.moloko-shop.de/xtcommerce...l-Buckles.html
And I LOVE them. I wear them during winter and summer, with dresses/skirts and pants... they´re multifunctional
Gotta love combat boots
LilithsDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Solumina

In the winter I just opt for adorable snow boots (my current pair are white, quilted, and have big poofy pom-poms on the ends of the laces), nothing else really seems to do the trick and I hate bringing extra shoes to change into. It doesn't hurt that my workplace has pretty poor weather stripping and insulation so there is always a cold draft, making the warmth of snow boots a definite plus.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
Grausamkeit

Or you can get some mukluks.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
BlacKat

I suspect I am going to end up withe the basic - Land's End basic black boots.
BlacKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
emeraldlonewoulf

Dr. marten's are really, really, good, I work out in the weather, mud rock, etc. and they last about a year and a half for me. To get anything that would last longer I'd have to spend right around 200 bucks. I TOTALLY get what was said earlier about the lack of real boots in women's footwear though, it sucks, and trying to find a 11.5 narrow doesn't help. I always have to get men's boots and let my feet either slide sideways or overheat in two pairs of socks. lace-ups help.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
Acharis

You are in luck Miss. (If you actually come back and see this, that is.)

I also have painful grouchy feet, and have been working on this one a while. I still wear sneakers when I must :O but my picks are

Doc Martens. You can get soft leather ones as opposed to the usual hard shiny ones, but I'm not sure if you can get them in womens. And if you get the hard ones, wear them with mens woolen work socks (like Explorers).

'Bongo' brand boots. I got a second hand pair (mine) and they're my choice for a heel I can comfortably function in, but be warned - they're vinyl and crack.

Go go boots from the 60s. (Will post a pic when I've fixed them)

Also look in vintage stores for flat knee high boots (not sure if these are meant to be motorcycle/scooter boots or not).
Front view
Side view

Buy those foam inserts for shoes - two layers in each shoe if your feet get really sore on the bottoms.

Go to the podiatrist for tips on what to look for in shoes, and possibly orthotics if you have flat feet like mine. Expensive but worth it.

Also about the traction - you can get shoes resoled in repair places.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote