Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
creature6

Movies that Changed your Veiws on Things.

Have you ever watched a movie that completely change the way you view something?

For me the movie Frankenstein did. Not the original one but the one with Robert De Niro and Kenneth Branagh. I was pretty young when I first saw it, but it totally changed how I view other characters for stories and books and even with people in real life. The main lesson was don't see things in black and white.

What about you?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
Still Jack

Fight Club. But that was more the book though...
Old 10-15-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
SweetJane

FREAKS! by Tod Browning. There are a lof of great scenes in there... the man who has no arms or legs lighting his cigarette is really profound to me.

I treat these threads like a game and refrain from putting in documentaries, because there are a lot.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
RadTeeJay

Rachel Getting Married

It totally made me respect my family a little bit more for putting up with my bullshit all the time. I feel like Kym sometimes && its hard but ultimately - family is usually the closest bond most will ever have with people you aren't in an intimate relationship with.
RadTeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
Equivalence

Full Metal Jacket and Blade Runner changed the way I viewed a lot of things. FMJ made me question where my morality actually was and Blade Runner really made me question what I actually remembered.
Equivalence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #6
CIRQUEFREAK91

Strangers with Candy' change my view on life.
CIRQUEFREAK91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:00 AM   #7
Pineapple_Juice

That movie was completely unexpected.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #8
Pineapple_Juice

This is going to sound stupid but in Tombstone when Doc and Wyatt are talking, and Wyatt says that he wants to live a normal life, and Doc replies "There's no normal life, Wyatt. There's just life. You get on with it", it really made me think about a lot of shit.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:44 AM   #9
LovelyxBlackLace

Hi creature6 ^_^

Freedom Writers is a hell of a touching film.
LovelyxBlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:46 AM   #10
LovelyxBlackLace

The 1931 Frankenstein movie is epic by the way. The one with Boris Karloff in it.
LovelyxBlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #11
House of Horrors

The Elephant Man, because it just made me appreciate how good my life is compared to some people.
House of Horrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:08 AM   #12
KissMeDeadly

It sounds retarded, but The Punisher comics and movies changed the way I look at a lot of things. I'm a complete comic book nerd, and, more to the point, a Punisher fan boy. It made me think a lot about crime and punishment, and the futility of revenge. If you're unaware, the who series is about a man who's family was killed for having witnessed a gang-land execution, the mobsters didn't want to leave witnesses. Since then, Frank Castle basically became the ultimate vigilante, waging war on organized crime and unorganized alike, he basically kills anybody he deems unworthy of life. From time to time he will stop and reflect that though he keeps killing, it will never bring his family back. Pretty insightful, I think.

Firefly/Serenity also makes me think a lot about family, and being an outcast in general. The way that they all come from different backgrounds (And planets, for that matter), yet find peace aboard a clunky old jalopy of a space ship.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:55 AM   #13
Jaye Jang

"Donnie Darko", gave me a whole different perspective on paranoid schizophrenia.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:31 AM   #14
Krick Wurkheiser

"Return Of The Living Dead"

It changed my attitude to horror films, which was hitherto very much of an "I want no part in it" attitude.
Krick Wurkheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #15
HavelockV

Dead Poets Society was instrumental in helping me cope with the pressures and expectations of my parents when I was younger. There is much to be said for seeing, even in fictional form, a person whose struggles mirror your own.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
Jonathan

Falling Down really highlighted just how broken some facets of our society can be.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #17
Krick Wurkheiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyxBlackLace View Post
The 1931 Frankenstein movie is epic by the way. The one with Boris Karloff in it.
Yes, it is! So is the Hammer version. Although in both cases I find it hard to really be scared of the monster.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #18
Krick Wurkheiser

The Wicker Man

I don't think it's changed my views on anything so much, but it does make me think a lot.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:51 AM   #19
the-nihilist

Falling Down

I really sympathized with the main character.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:53 AM   #20
Still Jack

La Haine. it's one of my favourite movies of all time. Mainly because the main characters remind me of several of my very close friends and myself.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:09 AM   #21
Razeal18

watchmen/ dark knight. makes you question the meaning and burden of heroism. it also proves that conpiricys can be usefull to the greater good. i became a bit more machiavellien after watching those.
Razeal18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:24 PM   #22
Devil's Darling

Waking Life changed my views on almost everything.The animation made me dizzy but it's part of the charm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCawcPs7U9U
I love your eyes, my darling friend, Their play so passionate and bright'ning, When a sudden stare up you send, And like a heaven-blown lightning, It'd take in all from end to end But there's more that I admire: Your eyes when they're downcast In bursts of love-inspired fire And through the eyelash goes fast A somber, dull call of desire...
Devil's Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #23
Sir Canvas Corpsey

The Devil Wears Prada and Erin Brockovich
Old 12-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #24
NaughtyKitten

The "Gulliver's Travels" movie made in 1996. Did you know there making another one to be released December 2010? It has Jack Black in it. But the 1996 version i watched in my english class made me really think about society, when he was on the island where horses are the intelligent life form and humans fight over diamonds but the horses don't understand, he says something about primitive beings like shiny things.
NaughtyKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:50 AM   #25
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMeDeadly View Post
It sounds retarded, but The Punisher comics and movies changed the way I look at a lot of things. I'm a complete comic book nerd, and, more to the point, a Punisher fan boy.

Cool. I went to high school with Tim Bradstreet back in the 80s, although I hardly knew him. He was more a FOAF and I don't think I ever said 3 words to him other than hi when passing in the halls. I had the same art teacher he had, but I lacked his talent. We knew he was going to be famous, even back then. Besides The Punisher I know he did work on the RPG Twilight 2000, which was also published here in my town.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote