Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Xombie

Prometheus?

**SPOILER ALERT**

If you thought this was a brilliant film, you are probably stupid.

Visually, it was pretty awesome, particularly during the opening scene. The plot, however, contained so many holes and groundless assumptions that I was relatively irritated within the first 20 minutes, and it only got worse.

What the hell made Dr. Shaw believe that the glyphs on the walls were invitations to visit the protohuman planet?

Why did Dr. Holloway come back to life with superhuman strength and a desire to kill his former colleagues? Why did David even want to contaminate Dr. Holloway's drink with that weird alien goop? He didn't have a damn soul!

When an incredibly long, heavy object is falling to the earth from above, why run the length of it instead of simply dodging to the side? After she tripped, Dr. Shaw was able to simply roll out of the way of the protohuman ship as it came crashing down; she could have done that the entire time, and then she would have had longer than 2 minutes of oxygen left by the time she came to.

Speaking of her dodgy survival, how did a fucking rock keep the several-ton ship from falling on top of her? It had no trouble crushing everything else in its path.

Realistically, I sincerely doubt that humans and that abnormally buff, hairless, pale race of whatever would have the exact same DNA makeup.

Okay, so when you see a foreign, mean looking, penis-esque creature springing out of a mysterious black goop in front of you, WHY WOULD YOU TRY TO COZY UP TO IT AS IF IT WAS A BENEVOLENT LITTLE KITTEN!?

I am already too annoyed to continue. Feel free to add to my list of holes, or clear some things up for me that I may just be overlooking.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
Solumina

In addition to specific little things that were straight up dumb it really did feel disjointed and like it was hacked to pieces in the editing room, I have a thin shred of hope that a decent director's cut will be released but it would have to be vastly different to even be worth watching.

I'm just glad that the theater I saw it at has pretty low week day rates so I wasn't out the full price of a movie ticket.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
Xombie

I only paid $4 for the movie ticket, so I don't feel robbed or anything. I agree about the choppy editing, though. I remember feeling particularly uncomfortable with the length of each clip in the opening scene. I just wanted each of them to be one half of a second longer. It felt rushed.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
AshleyO

Looks like I dodged a bullet there.

Guys, go see Moonrise Kingdom. It's worth it.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Sinjob

One can always rely on Wes Anderson.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Saya

That's super disappointing.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
Solumina

I was quite disappointed myself.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 06-20-2012, 04:45 AM   #8
Minyaliel

Thanks for warning me! I was so going to spend my non- existent money on that film. Now I'll probably just wait until it goes on Netflix, and then see if I can be arsed to watch it or not. :P
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #9
Acharis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xombie View Post

Okay, so when you see a foreign, mean looking, penis-esque creature springing out of a mysterious black goop in front of you, WHY WOULD YOU TRY TO COZY UP TO IT AS IF IT WAS A BENEVOLENT LITTLE KITTEN!?
Maybe he likes penis.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:50 AM   #10
Alan

What the hell made Dr. Shaw believe that the glyphs on the walls were invitations to visit the protohuman planet?
They all pointed to the same system, which makes it a map. These were scientists the same way as cryptozoologists; they have a background, but they also had an belief, they just happened to have been right.

Why did Dr. Holloway come back to life with superhuman strength and a desire to kill his former colleagues?
He was infected, not made a host. The black goo was the biological weapon, the xenomorph was just one of its iterations.

Why did David even want to contaminate Dr. Holloway's drink with that weird alien goop? He didn't have a damn soul!
He asked Holloway how far he would go for this discovery. It was the only advance they had yet, thinking everything else had been dead for two thousand years.
What I really want to know is why you think it would have been less stupid if he did have a soul. Was he supposed to be a real human being and dot FOR THE EVULZ?

When an incredibly long, heavy object is falling to the earth from above, why run the length of it instead of simply dodging to the side?
They actually DID run to the side, but they also had to run away or they wouldn't have made it on time. If she didn't run to the side you wouldn't be saying this part below
After she tripped, Dr. Shaw was able to simply roll out of the way of the protohuman ship as it came crashing down; she could have done that the entire time, and then she would have had longer than 2 minutes of oxygen left by the time she came to.
Proof she was running diagonally, as the bird eye shot also showed.

Speaking of her dodgy survival, how did a fucking rock keep the several-ton ship from falling on top of her? It had no trouble crushing everything else in its path.
That WAS the only plot hole here. Everything else is easily explainable.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
Xombie

Okay, thank you.

I was going to reiterate my question regarding the identical DNA of the two, but I remembered something called expressivity, which refers to variable physical expressions of certain gene mutations. Still, I find it hard to believe that such would occur in an entire Earth population on so much of the human genome, unless the extraterrestrial humans somehow had the ability to control the phenotype of every Earthling they created in addition to every single one of their offspring, since the specific expression isn't necessarily hereditary.

And even if he liked the dick, that creature clearly had no benevolent intentions.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
Solumina

Well and it wasn't so much of a penis creature as a penis with a vagina for a face and it snapped at him once before actually attacking him.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 06-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #13
Acharis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xombie View Post
And even if he liked the dick, that creature clearly had no benevolent intentions.
I was just messing with ya Xombie XD
It was incredibly dumb to keep approaching an aggressive unknown creature.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #14
Acharis

...I'm curious to see Alien now, apparently it came out 20 years ago but people are saying it was way better than Prometheus.

Also - to add to the pervy subtext of the film - apparently sci-fi alien goop in some horror movies is supplied by special bulk buckets of KY jelly o_O