Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
Ideality

I believe that introductions are in order...

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job) I dabble in everything, that can be considered bookish and introverted. I have a fascination with the Middle Ages, specifically the 14th century. I do enjoy a good anime from time to time. I used to be very big in to gaming of all types although not all at the same time: tabletop rpgs, miniatures, video and computer gaming, euro-style board games, ffrp's, mmorpg's, MUD's, but I do draw the line at LARP's. I make maille (though I hate it when its called chain mail), mostly bracelets and other such accessories. And I enjoy sewing and making garb/costume/clothes. Oh, and I enjoy a good cup of tisane/tea. I'm a student and in between jobs at the moment.

2. Where are you from? I was born in Yokosuka, Japan but I now reside in Gainesville, Fl.

3. Who is your favorite author? I definately love the genre of fantasy. Authors like George R. R. Martin (whenever he gets off his fat ass and finishes his next book), Terry Brooks, and David Gemmell would be tops for me. R. A. Salvatore is great for light hearted fare. But, the fantasy elitist in me refuses to have anything to do with J.K. Rowling and Harry Potter. For non-fiction I enjoy reading Jared Diamond's books.

4. What are your favorite films? I really love what the first Matrix accomplished. Though the rest of the trilogy is garbage, the first one is the perfect marriage of action and philosophy. Outside of action movies, any type of movie can catch my eye, the only thing they require is that they are period or very plot immersive. Off the top of my head, I can think of 3:10 to Yuma, The Prestige, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, Unforgiven, The Royal Tenenbaums, and more that I have forgotten.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding? Hah, marriage? Dont make me laugh, I'm the perennial best friend. I shall always and forever be stuck in the servitude of the "friend zone".

6. At your funeral? "The Final Countdown" by Europe performed on a pipe organ and if possible played in a minor key. Cheesy but demented and ironic.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die? Like Kevin Spacey's character in "American Beauty". There's something about the juxtaposition of finding out you are truely alive and then having that life taken away from you that I find appealing.

8. What kind of casket would you want? Something made of metal. Im thinking an anodized black titanium/aluminum paneled, stainless steel framed casket. The lining would be red silk (if I'm going down, I might as well take some silk worms with me) stuffed with wool batting (might as well add some shaved sheep/llama/alpaca for good measure).

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit? It is coming together in piecemeal fashion but I hope to have one outfit that is 99% made by me (shoes are the only thing that I wont attempt to make). As of now, I have made a black buckle vest and black tailored buttoned arm warmers. I wear those over a white dress shirt and black pants. Next on my agenda are some matching spats/gaiters for the arm warmers and somewhere down the line a morning coat.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid? Not having to worry about money. If there's one thing that depresses me more than anything, it's the fact that my life from adulthood forth is measured as the slow trickle of dollars and the battle to stay out of debt.

11. What's your favorite band? I'm your basic alternative rock listener. But a good movie score or video game soundtrack can also be found on my Ipod. Up until 2002 I didn't have any taste for music unless it was my crappy anime songs. Thanks to my friends, thats changed. It varys from Nobuo Uematsu, Yasunori Mitsuda, John Williams, 30 Seconds to Mars, Breaking Benjamin, all listed in no particular order. But, you guys can help me out in this department, can't you?

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major? I am stuck somewhere between an associates and trying to transfer out of community college in to a university. My major is anthropology.

13. Why did you join? Morbid curiosity.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender? Male

Best Regards,
Neil
Ideality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Silvara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideality
Oh, and I enjoy a good cup of tisane/tea.
Well met, Neil!

What is your favorite kind of tea? Do you prefer certain regions (Chinese, Japanese, South African, India, Sri Lanka, etc.), or just different "types" of tea (Black, White, Green, Red, Oolong, etc.)? Though of course, different "types" of teas are all regional in any case. But do tell! I adore tea.
Silvara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Cyberbat

Welcome to the boards.
Cyberbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:20 AM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

I think you seem like someone I'd like.

Hello there.
I enjoy tea very much as well, though I don't share your affection for maille. I do however, love to RP, but I don't draw the line at LARP, haha!
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:33 AM   #5
Tam Li Hua

Ooh, an interesting person! Welcome!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
Delkaetre

Evening. Welcome.
Three interesting new things all in a short space of time. If they all stay, we might manage to combat the rot that's eating these boards.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:36 AM   #7
mindless1

I welcome you.

You seem really cool,
People here can be rude sometimes but there are some interesting discussion threads.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
Apathy's_Child

I hear you on the dollars...... welcome, man!

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:36 AM   #9
Ideality

Hah! I achieved the acceptance of my peers on a message board on the internet! *celebration dance* Now I may go the way of Kevin Spacey... My life is complete!

Ahem. *clears throat* Sorry about that, I am a tad bit loopy from my long day out. Questions will be attended to when I have a clearer state of mind and a good night's worth of rest. But, yes, I do thank you all for the welcome.

Best Regards,
Neil
Old 02-22-2008, 06:57 AM   #10
Bete Noire

George R.R Martins new book should be out by late summer this year. Apparently anyway.

And welcome, do hang around
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
Ideality

Ah, the great jungle of tea leaves and the sea of brew. I do have to admit I am rather new to the whole past time. As of now, the only reason why I drink tea is for its perceived health benefits. My ex was in to holistic remedies and this was one of her quirks that transfered on to me. So I drink <insert fruit or herb here> tea as a remedy to <insert ailment here>. As for actual tea types, I suffer from stress rather easily so I usually have lemon tea at the ready. And being somewhere in the south, there's always good ol' sweetened ice tea at every resturant which I greedily partake in.

But yes, that means I have not quite branched off in to actual leaf types. But I am more that interested in hearing about it from any of you tea connoisseurs. I am starting to suspect that I am drinking tea for tea's sake...

Best Regards,
Neil

P.S. George R. R. Martin said that two years ago about his book "Feast for Crows" and last year about his book "Dances with Dragons"... I am starting to see a pattern here and really do not take anything he schedules at face value anymore... But, thats gossip I haven't heard so many thanks!
Old 02-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #12
Silvara

Sweetened iced tea from restaurants does nothing for you! It has no health benefits what so ever, except it cures thirst. It is also black tea, and since you suffer from stress, I would recommend staying away from any and all caffeine. Restaurants also use 'tea bag' tea, which is what we call 'The Bottom of the Barrel'. It is tea dust, not actual tea leaves.

Now, I shall tell you about "leaf types", in order from healthiest to not so healthy but still has good effects.

Rooibos (Red tea, pronounced Roy-bus), White, Green, Black, Oolong, and Herbal. All tea, save for Red and Herbal, comes from the tea leaf plant, Camellia. Since you brew Red and Herbal tea (meaning you infuse the leaves in hot water), they are considered actual teas.

Red tea comes from a red bush in South Africa. It has LOADS more antioxidants then White OR Green tea, therefore making it the healthiest. White tea has 10x's the antioxidants of Green tea, which makes it healthier then Green tea. Its a common misconception that Green tea is the healthiest.

Herbal teas have no real health benefits, but are packed with vitamins and nutrients, and just taste yummy. Like you mentioned though, you suffer from stress. I would recommend any red tea to you, as red tea has zero caffeine in it, as Herbal tea has none also. If not a Red tea, then I would suggest a Chamomile tea with lemon in it. Teavana has a really delicious Herbal tea called Night Night.

If you would like further information, such as how to properly brew loose leaf tea, or the difference between Chinese and Japanese tea, I am an open book! Ill shut up now though...
Silvara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #13
Wormboy

I believe that introductions are in disarray.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote