Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #26
Cretin Dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindNsect View Post
I hate the minimum text thing too. I know it's so stimulate "intelligence" but it often forces the opposite.

Because Emo music is horrible, to answer your question..
Mall Emo is terrible, but the original "emocore" wasn't that terrible. It's not my thing, but it's at least better than half the shit that's on TV.
Cretin Dilettante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #27
aspiring

Emo started off as an off-shoot of punk. It was specifically underground, and have very few bands and followers to begin with. In Washington D.C, in the early 80's (i believe) it began with bands such as Sunny Day Real Estate, Rites of Spring, and later ones like jimmy eat world or the promise ring. There was one band in particular that started it, but I cannot remember.

Anyway, it actually started with closely tied roots to grunge, punk, and rock. The reason it is currently classified as whiny is because old emo music was known to be emotional and "powerful" with honest lyrics.

Eventually the style repeated itself, each with a slight twist, continuing to leave the punk scene, band by band. Eventually it became modern-day emo, which is screamo, hard-rock, etc. Scene-emo also exists, which consists of crunk, rapcore, sexcore, pop-punk, and Jeffree star.

There is actually a book on emo which i admittedly skimmed through. It's "Nothing Feels Good: Punk Rock, Teenagers, and Emo" by Andy Greenwald.
aspiring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #28
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring View Post
Emo started off as an off-shoot of punk. It was specifically underground, and have very few bands and followers to begin with. In Washington D.C, in the early 80's (i believe) it began with bands such as Sunny Day Real Estate, Rites of Spring, and later ones like jimmy eat world or the promise ring. There was one band in particular that started it, but I cannot remember.

Anyway, it actually started with closely tied roots to grunge, punk, and rock. The reason it is currently classified as whiny is because old emo music was known to be emotional and "powerful" with honest lyrics.

Eventually the style repeated itself, each with a slight twist, continuing to leave the punk scene, band by band. Eventually it became modern-day emo, which is screamo, hard-rock, etc. Scene-emo also exists, which consists of crunk, rapcore, sexcore, pop-punk, and Jeffree star.

There is actually a book on emo which i admittedly skimmed through. It's "Nothing Feels Good: Punk Rock, Teenagers, and Emo" by Andy Greenwald.
There may be a connection to Grunge. Nirvana is known to connecting vocal notes to words to create an emotional sound. Yet this wrong. Emo is something like E... Musical Orchestra and has nothing to do with emotions at all. Someone made that up completely.

Baby Boomers just don't understand younger people wanting to get away from anything that sounds like their parent's music or underestimate the popularity of New Age in the United States. Over half of the people in the US are Athiest or Agnostic. Oregon has probably the highest population of Athiests in the US. Most are Budhists, Believe in Science or basically anything not relying on an unprovable God.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #29
Breathless Horror

You are a fucking idiot ^

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote