Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
LenorePoe

Visual Kei music

What do you think of Visual Kei music? I love Dir En Grey, personally.
What do you guys think?
LenorePoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Nihil

I prefer my J-rock not so visual, heh. I feel like most visual kei bands have no 'soul' in their music... Not substancial enough, or something like that. Also, too many bands have music way too similar - when the music isn't even good.
It seems to me that japanese men think that all it takes to be a good band is turning into, well, sparkling tranvestites. No offense intented to Mana, I really like his music. lol
Nihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
allyssa

I love the aesthetics of the culture as well as the videos but I agree sometimes the music doesn't seem as important as the image..I still have a profound respect for visual kei as a fashion I find it tremendously beautiful and individual and expressive!
allyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
TheFeatheredÆtheling

I like some older visual kei music quite a bit. Anything by Malice Mizer is very nice in particular. 'Kind of a hybrid of classical, rock, and video game music.

I agree with Nihil: Mana-sama is an outstanding composer. In my opinion, Malice Mizer/Moi Dix Mois defines "Goth".
TheFeatheredÆtheling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
LenorePoe

But are goth and visual kei the same thing? I think they have similar tastes, but I think Visual Kei goes places goth would not.
And yes, it seems Visual Kei does focus a lot of the look, but then again, what's so wrong with that?
LenorePoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
Nihil

Well, there's nothing wrong with focusing on the look. Unless the look is all the band cares about, it's quite nice to see the styles they come up with.
Nihil is offline   Reply With Quote