Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #51
MegearaErotica

So what if I only like the sound of the music and not the words? Also, I've never heard anything in the genre of hip hop or rap that seems like poetry. Where did you get ICP and Avril Lavinge from? I realized the mistake of saying "I like everything." and changed it to "I like almost everything."
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #52
LetheanBlacklight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
You're not fucking getting it.
The fact that you say "I like everything except hip hop" tells me you actually don't care about the music, just the pretty sounds.
Hip hop artists are the standard bearers of modern poetry.
If you honestly can like shit like ICP and Avril Lavigne but not The Coup, you deserve all the pain you can get.
poetry = poetry, poetry =/= music
Old 11-07-2008, 10:18 PM   #53
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegearaErotica
I realized the mistake of saying "I like everything." and changed it to "I like almost everything."
Which will still suck more than real hip hop artists.
Listen to Animal Farm by dead prez or Know Your Enemy by Rage Against the Machine, and if you find your music more talented than that, I will fucking fist a friend on Thanksgiving dinner.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #54
Duane

Well... let's get started!

When I was growing up, I listened to the likes of The Beatles, The Who, Deep Purple, Queen, Styx, the Rolling Stones, Kansas, the Steve Miller Band, Led Zeppelin.

Then, I began to listen to pop punk bands like Green Day, Blink 182, Sum 41. Metal bands like SOAD, Korn, Slipknot, Mudvayne...

Then, I got into the Cure, Siouxsie Sioux, Sisters of mercy to a lesser extent, alot of new stuff for me... got Gnet's Duke of Rock back into playing guitar in a time when I felt that I should settle for a spot amongst those who work boring, cubicle bound worker drone types.

After that, I got back into the good stuff, the Who, Queen, Led Zeppelin... oh yeah.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #55
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Which will still suck more than real hip hop artists.
Listen to Animal Farm by dead prez or Know Your Enemy by Rage Against the Machine, and if you find your music more talented than that, I will fucking fist a friend on Thanksgiving dinner.
Beastie Boys whoop RATM's ass.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:53 AM   #56
Raptor

Haha this should be funny.

Early (Dad's music, cassette tapes in the car)
Dire Straits

1998/9 I guess:
Blink 182, Sum 41, The Offspring

~2000:
More of the same; AFI, American Hifi,Good Charlotte, Green Day, Placebo...
Then later I think Slipknot and Rammstein, which started with Slipknot and Reise, Reise albums.

~2004/5.. maybe:
Stuff like Children of Bodom, Metalica, System of a Down, Saliva, The Distillers, more Rammstein.

~2005/6ish:
Same stuff plus Manson, Deathstars, Evanescence.

2007 - Find Gnet
First: London After Midnight, Tragic Black, Combichrist, VNV nation, Covenant, Wolfsheim, Cruxshadows etc.

Then Uni, and start to find more music from two friends:
Eisbrecher, Skinny Puppy, Hanzel Und Gretyl, Chemlab, Laibach, KMFDM..

Probably towards the end of the year: Subhumans, All Gone Dead (Jillian's recommendation I think), Sister's of Mercy, Siouxsie.

2008:
Current music: Frank the Baptist, Blood Dead and Sexy, Specimen, Eat Your Make-UP, Pop Will Eat Itself, Die Krupps, Scarlet's Remains, Rudimentary Peni etc.

Plus a lot of the old stuff, especially Rammstein, KMFDM, the EBMish stuff, and still the pop punk sometimes.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #57
Metabolik

Really getting into punk lately =]
Old 11-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #58
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetheanBlacklight
poetry = poetry, poetry =/= music
Yeah, but part of music is lyrics and lyrics are poetry.

Oh and Jillian, you have to understand, most hip hop and rap that people know about is bullshit like 50 cent and Snoop Dogg.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:53 PM   #59
Godslayer Jillian

Yeah but that's my point, which kind of goes back to the making blanket statements.

Thousands of fuckers always say "I like everything, except hip hop or country"
Obviously they're dipshits that don't know enough about hip hop (and I also mention country because it happens a lot) and that's why they say this.
But if they only know the commercial shit in hip hop and country and that's why they say that, then you just fucking know that they love the commercial shit in "everything else"
and they'll buy it with a big smile on their faces; and you know they will feel cultured and special because "they're all about the music"

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #60
LetheanBlacklight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack

Oh and Jillian, you have to understand, most hip hop and rap that people know about is bullshit like 50 cent and Snoop Dogg.
Well you have a semi point there, as not all music has nor needs lyrical messages to be a good piece, but I do agree about the second half of your statement.
As I was saying, if someone likes music for the pretty sounds (aka the music) and if that's what they're looking for, they don't "deserve pain".
As for blanket statements, he (Jillian) may be justified, unless the case is for musical dissonance.
I don't like country, commercialized or not. I don't like the chordal nor melodic patterns, which are not pleasing to my ears.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #61
Zakyath

most crap played on the radio -> michael jackson -> twisted siter -> *brother added tons of music to my first ipod* Kamelot, Malice Mizer, Gackt, Miyavi -> Moi dix Mois -> *brother intodruced me to more metal* Avantasia, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody -> *checked through my mp3 once again* Sisters of Mercy, once again the visual kei too -> Bauhaus -> Crüxshadows, Nightwish -> Sopor Aeternus -> The Cure -> Back to lots of metal and visual kei -> Looking for harder goth-like music, found the 69 Eyes -> London After Midnight -> Echo & the Bunnymen -> The Smiths -> Random pop artists -> Led Zeppelin -> Kiss -> Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks, Joy Division -> 95%~ of the music heard = Sisters, Crüxshadows and the Eyes -> Fields of the Nepihlim -> Marilyn Manson -> Now? A little bit of everything. Mostly Sisters, Nephilim, LAM and Kamelot
Zakyath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #62
XxDeranged InsanityxX

I couldn't write out every band i ever listened to but i used to listen to a lot of pop music before i went to High School but after that i started listening to Metal quite a bit.Now i for the most part can't stand pop music.
XxDeranged InsanityxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:10 AM   #63
Malice In Wonderland

I was brought up on Rock 'N' Roll, Anarcho Punk and New Wave.

But I was really into music until High School.

Throughout my first couple of years at high school I got into HipHop, Punk, Metal, Darkwave, Electronic, Drum 'N' Bass and country.

Over the past couple of years I've got more into Deathrock, Punk, Thrash Metal and EBM.

I've never really stopped liking genres of music.
Just started liking more.
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:33 AM   #64
NightmareInShiningArmour

I started with pop music.
Whatever was on TV was cool. Sum 41. Stuff like that.

Then to rap and hip-hop. Mainly just Eminem and D12. That was when I was like.. 9 or younger.

When I was about 11 I got into some metal kind of stuff. My cousin (very talented guitarist) showed me the Murderdolls, System of a Down... Other stuff.

I discovered Slipknot from my brother when he was listening to Wait and Bleed and Manson from him too when he was listening to "This is the new Shit". He likes rap now -.-

Slipknot were fucking gods to me. Yes I was one of those kids.
Then came my little phases in between of smaller metal bands.
Then came Cradle of Filth hahaha xD.
I went through a Killswitch Engage phase when I saw them live and became obsessed for a bit.
Then came the Marilyn Manson phase. I loved him. I quickly grew out of that with this site, learning of much better bands.

Then came things like the Bauhaus and Siouxsie. Velvet Acid Christ too. I can't remember how I discovered them. Hexfix93 is rather talented and has a great hawk I must say.
Then the Cure I love them. Great voice Robert smith has.

Thanks to friends I'm getting into more punk stuff and metal/hardcore things.
Punk and goth is what I listen to. I don't share it with people because no one likes it.
Metal is what most people like here.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:20 AM   #65
Draco_Sanguine

Ive noticed ive been way more into alot of darkwave, cybergoth and black metal bands lately. Yeah i still listen to sisters and some others, might just be a guilty pleasure of mine to like dimmu borgir. I gotta say, Symphony geniuses. Other than that i would say ive come to like cruxshadows, angelspit, skinny puppy, switchblade symphony, combichrist and some i cant even remember the name of but i have their cds and they are great.

I still listen to nightwish and otep who are now labeled as gothic metal, not to be confused with goth but none the less outstanding performances by both. So depends if im in the mood for something hard or soft. I still lisen to real metal bands not pussy shit like slipknot. Sorry if you like em, they suck.
When i first started really exploring used to listen to handed down alternative rock which floated my boat for a while but eventually all the shit just sounds the same and has no unique feel to it some bands were able to keep their music unique all the other ones joined the mainstream media changing their music to fit the current scene.
Draco_Sanguine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #66
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack

WOAH
WOAH
ARE YOU DISSING THE D-O-GG?!
FUCK THAT SHIT!

Ain't nobody disrespectin' Snoop in my Gnet.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:45 AM   #67
Malice In Wonderland

I actually really like Snoop Dogg...

~hides~
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:25 AM   #68
Metabolik

I don't mind Snoop Dog either lol
Can't say I listen to him a lot, but now and then.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #69
jack_the_knife

I started off at around 7 listening to bands like BB King, Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin.
From 9-11 I listened to Iron Maiden, Motörhead, Children of Bodom and AC/DC.
When I was around 12 years old I started skateboarding and the older people introduced me to Black Flag, The Misfits, The Dropkick Murphys, Böhse Onkelz, The Dead Kennedys, Die Toten Hosen and The Adicts. From 13 to 14 I was primarily into to bands like Slayer, Napalm Death, Switchback, Hardflip, Deicide and Kreator. At age 15 ( to present ) my sister introduced me to Joy Division, Type-O Negative, Siouxsie , Bauhaus and the Cure .
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #70
Slap Your Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard
Emmure
Fuck yes.
_________
Old 11-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #71
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
WOAH
WOAH
ARE YOU DISSING THE D-O-GG?!
FUCK THAT SHIT!

Ain't nobody disrespectin' Snoop in my Gnet.
FUCK the D-O-GG!!

Ahhh....... that felt good.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #72
Darcnyss

Let's see...

Well, when I was a kid, I grew up listening to metal bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, thanks to my brother, and classical music, thanks to my parents.

Since I grew up in the 80s, I was (and am still) a very big fan of 80s Synthpop bands such as Depeche Mode, Erasure, Blancmange, Dead or Alive, etc...

I was introduced to goth for the first time in my last year of primary school when I first heard The Sisters of Mercy being played at, of all places, the yearly school carnival!

From there on I seriously wanted to hear more of this great band's music, as well as any other similar bands.

In those days I had no idea what goth was, but still had the propensity to wear a lot of black, since I just loved black. Fullstop.

I eventually started to listen to The Mission UK, Siouxsie and the Banshees and Clan of Xymox. My first real encounter with the goth subculture as a whole was at the age of 15, at the goth club "Pure Eternal", where I also heard, for the first time, bands like Nosferatu, Corpus Delicti, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, The Creatures and other bands.

My music taste has now evolved (some might say devolved) to Darkwave, Electro Goth and such, (Diary of Dreams, still Clan of Xymox, Elusive) though I rather despise EBM.

That's about it then.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #73
Man In Room 5

I started off with the Beatles and Dave Clark Five albums my parents bought at garage sales for me when I was in grade school but I also listened to the radio and sometimes taped the top 40 countdown. We had HBO, so I saw some concerts that way too. I especially remember a Bowie concert on HBO when his Let's Dance album came out. I also remember a friend bringing the Dead Kennedy's Frankenchrist album to school to show the poster around (for those who remember the controversy). I also listened to ISU's radio station (WESN 88.1 FM) where they played all your usual college music of the time. Each DJ played his own favorite genre so I got exposed to a lot of stuff that way including Bauhaus and PIL. Me and my brother started to join those mail order clubs where you could get 12 tapes for a penny and we took chances on bands we'd never pay full price for. I got into Megadeth and The Cult that way. Another friend left a tape at my house once; side A was Suicidal Tendencies self-titled album and side B was the Sex Pistols Never Mind the Bollocks. I hated both bands at first but came to like them and started going to local hardcore/punk/metal shows where I met tons of punks/goths who got me into most of the stuff I like now. Impetigo was the only band to make it big out of our local scene and guitarist Mark Sawickis also published his own zine, Uniforce. Reading it got me into a lot of other bands too. In the mid 1990s I wrote reviews for Subnormal zine and that got me into all the Cleopatra era goth and industrial. My musical taste actually cuts off sometime in the mid 1990s and I'm only just now getting into new bands again.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #74
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child
FUCK the D-O-GG!!

Ahhh....... that felt good.
I am going to **** you Doggystyle and be sippin' on Gin and Juice... laidback while I do it.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #75
a morbid curiosity

Awright, musical evolution... hmm...

OK, never really loved a band until I was about eight and my parents used to buy all sorts. Dad forced us to listen to The White Stripes and other strange indieish pop stuff and Mum listened to The Beatles. I first got into classical and jazz singers for some reason, at the time I liked Eva Cassidy and Hayley Westenra most, and I also liked pop music like Green Day. So Green Day got me watching MTV which got me listening to way shittier music than I ever did like, for example, Fall Out Boy. But I was interested in Fall Out Boy's roots so I did a bit of research and learned about hardcore, punk, and emo, and for a while my favourite bands were Cap'n Jazz, Sunny Day Real Estate and Circle Takes The Square. At the same time, a friend of mine started introducing me to metal. I got into melodic death metal, some avantgarde black metal, so I liked Ulver and Arcturus and Vintersorg, etc.

Soon after that, I realised there was a huge gap in my knowledge where goth rock should be and I started listening to some 80s and 90s music; Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cure and Nick Cave especially. And I discovered this website and that there are a fair few goths so I decided to stay around and learn more.

And that's it, really.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote