Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
Despanan

[Movies] Harry Potter 7 (part 1)

Saw it last night. I think this is by far the worst of the Harry Potter films to date. Deathly Hallows part 1 didn't even feel like a movie, more like one scene after another strung together with poor pacing, awkward transitions, and genuinely STRANGE dialogue, even weirder scenes, and TONS of Narm (seriously, the audience was laughing their asses off at all the wrong times due to clumsy and weird choices on the part of the production team).

If you're going to take 2 movies to really give this series a fitting cinematic end, stop wasting time on pointless and strange scenes like Harry and Hermione dancing, and bits of dialogue where the characters just stand around being awkward just to get a few laughs. Just tell the goddamn story. If you want to write an awkward movie about awkward people standing around being awkward WRITE YOUR OWN GODDAMN MOVIE.

All in all, you could probably use this film as the basis for writing a book on how NOT to do a movie adaptation. The direction was bad, scenes which SHOULD have been exciting and epic were massively underwhelming, all the character were retards apparently. Despite the runtime being over 2 hours, very little interesting bits of the book were explored and TONS of time was wasted on pointless sequences, while important scenes were rushed.

The director and screenwriter should be strangled with their own dailies.

Honestly this film was so bad, I'm going to have to re-read the book, because it seriously called into question if Rowling's 7th book was really any good, or if I just ignored serious problems with the plot and pacing because I wanted it to be good

Also:
[spoiler]
WTF? They don't give moody an on-screen death, but they waste the end of the film on DOBBY? A scrappy we haven't seen since movie #2 or 3? Hey, and why the hell wasn't he wearing clothes? That was a major character point in the books if I recall.

Also, as awesome as the horcrux throwing spiders at Ron and telling him how much he sucked was, did we really need to see naked Harry making out with naked Hermione? I mean I know Emma Watson is in college now, but Hermione's supposed to be seventeen and since I've kinda watched the character grow up, that dumbassed director is making me feel like a pedo now.
[/spoiler]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:24 AM   #2
Fruitbat

I thought it might be diluted as dishwater when I heard they were splitting the book into 2 movies. Crap.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:02 AM   #3
honeythorn

I thought it was ok, pretty much as I expected it to be when I heard it was the same guy who directed the last few.
I can see what you mean by the awkwardness though, and the thing with the horcrux was...not nessecary and quite odd to see.

I think the Third film was the best of them all really.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Mandarinz

Well I liked it. Yes it was different, and would've been ok fine as just one movie. And I found the "awkward" bits to be funny - nothing wrong with some humour. It did seem too long though.
Mandarinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
in.the.moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post

Honestly this film was so bad, I'm going to have to re-read the book, because it seriously called into question if Rowling's 7th book was really any good, or if I just ignored serious problems with the plot and pacing because I wanted it to be good
re-read the book
in.the.moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
Tobi Addams

I really enjoyed this one. I think the directing was amazing, each scene was shot differently and in a way that was appropriate for the mood of that theme. It wasn't as completely sombre as The Half-Blood Prince. I enjoyed that the running-and-camping that was a drag in the book was abbreviated and made palatable in the film.
Tobi Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
peterfernandes238

If you're dying of impatience like us to see the movie Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, tell what's your trick to keep going till the release!
========
Peter
peterfernandes238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
Murder.Of.Crows

I just saw this movie last week. All the problems I had with it Desp listed, so I'm really happy I wasn't the only one that thought them. I don't understand why they elaborated on such unnecessary scenes. Most of them they added to the movie, things that weren't in the book and then terribly drew those scenes out.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:55 AM   #9
Mr.Doobie

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1.

AKA: Harry Potter and the Worst Camping Trip Ever.
Mr.Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
Fruitbat

I finally saw it. I didn't mind it but I felt there was a lot of blank spaces in it... meaningless looking at each other for long periods of time.

Books are much better. God I have such a huge crush on Snape but I think that's only because I have always had a crush on Alan Rickman.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
Haze

I enjoyed the teen angst. Needed more Snape.
Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
Sinjob

You ENJOYED the teen angst?
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #13
Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjob View Post
You ENJOYED the teen angst?
What can I say? Radcliffe pulls it off. Emma over did it imo though.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Radcliffe has all the talent of a three month old loaf of bread.

It was a good movie if you went in expecting nothing or disaster. Never watch a movie with expectations, especially if it's an adaptation. That's the lessen of this story.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #15
Ben Lahnger

Or even the lesson of the story (just had to tease you on that one.)

I'm buying the DVD and watching the film within a week of seeing part two on the big screen, because no matter how bad this one is I would still see the last one, but I hate waiting for movie continuations. I got the second 'Pirates of the Caribbean' movie for Christmas and ticked some friends off by refusing to watch it until the third film (part two of the cliffhanger) was out in theaters.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:02 AM   #16
Haze

Really, it was more like a two hour introduction. The ending was abrupt.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #17
pampilla4

good post!!!thank you!!!
pampilla4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:36 AM   #18
Ashdeep

I can't watch harry potter 7 , here i watch it and i enjoy myself to watch.................