Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:26 PM   #1
albertfish_massacre

Smile Dir en Grey.

I got tickets! :] I am so excited.
I don't think I can wait until February, though. It'll suck. sadfs
albertfish_massacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
korinna5555

you are probably gonna get yelled at for this. just to warn you. but thats AWESOME! im jealous.....
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:49 PM   #3
albertfish_massacre

Get yelled at for what? ;S
albertfish_massacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:24 AM   #4
Slap Your Love

I've only heard one song by them and it was the song `Saku`. I thought it and the video was pretty good.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
Puppet Master

Love Dir en grey, all there stuff rocks, and I seem to be one of the few people who actually likes there change to more metal territory =P

Lucky on getting tickets, I wish they would play in england
Puppet Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
Crimson_seele

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM!!! I've listened to them since they broke out as a major label band back in 99 in Japan. They've evolved really well.

In any case, I was going to go to the concert in Chicago on the 15th, but I ended up not being able to drive to Chicago because my car broke down a few days before it. IT SUCKED! If I could I would travel all the way to Japan to watch them.
Crimson_seele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:53 AM   #7
Ictum

I hate you.

Seriously.
Ictum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
St._Exmin

I saw them a little over a week ago; it was an amazing show.

They did a lot of material from 'Withering to Death,' which was cool, but I was hoping they would do some of the more VK sounding stuff off of 'Gauze.'

The only problem I had was that the sound guy mixed them like a nu-metal band-- everything was really bass-heavy.

I never had much hope of seeing them here in the States, though, so it's great to see them aggressively marketing themselves here. Hopefully it'll mean more J-rock/VK bands will make it over.
St._Exmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
Temptation

I saw them a little bit ago. They we're pretty good, but I expected more rock than their nu-metal stuff. They played Clever Sleazoid which made me happy because thats my favorite song by them. Tickets we're very expensive though, they we're $29. They're not really all that popular here in america, but I still have to pay top dollar.
Temptation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:11 PM   #10
PersephoneX

Not fair. No one cool ever comes here, anymore. One year we had Entombed, SoulFly and Sepultura...now nothing...Billy Joel was here last year...what a sick gig, man. Those old people were moshing their tiny geriatric legs off! (Not really) But my parents enjoyed the show, so i guess it wasnt all bad.
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:08 AM   #11
Splintered

Ok.
So.
Keep in mind, this is coming from a guy who loves listening to people screaming and growling, fast beats, etc.

In my mind, they're "Eh". After listening to them for about 15 minutes now, I can tell you that I pretty much don't like them. Maybe it's not my cup of tea, I dunno. They're nice in short bursts, but the singer's voice just gets to me. I know they're probably trying to do something different, but eh.

(And for reference, the songs I listened to were "Saku", "Yokan", "Kodou",& "Mykau".)

As for the tickets, tell me how the show went. I'm wondering if because they're a Japanese group, if they do concerts any different. I've seen a bit of a difference between European/American concerts, so I'm wondering if it applies to Asia as well.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
angel_slayer

wow.. so many people like dir en grey,
YAY i'm not the only one now!

btw, I also hate you for having tickets.. i so badly wanted to go and am saddened by this..

my favourites have to be withering to death, not afraid to die, saku, C, okura no oka and spilled milk! definately an awesome band..
angel_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:49 AM   #13
Tea_and_Waxfruit

Isaw them att he family values concert here. I couldn;t go see them in thier concert cosue I wa heading towards a convention ^_^ but anywho they are a pretty good band.
I have to be in the mood to listen to em' though.
Tea_and_Waxfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #14
CountSixstring

This is my favorite Japanese band. I was turned on to them in the eight grade and I've been in love every since. one of my favorite deals about them is how they creat an atmosphere with every song, wether its good or bad. They cover a lot of different sounds as well. I had the pleasure of Seeing them and A.F.I., my other favorite band five days apart from each other, it was one of the best times in my life. The Dir en grey concert was almost surreal and I got a good bit of merch. I'm wearing the tour shirt right now! If you get the chance to see them, do so. They used to be a Visual Kei band, but that's solely based on fashion and they came to realize that they're music was more important than their makeup and androgyny. They've abandoned it in recent years. Their latest album "Marrow of a Bone" is not as good as their other stuff, but everything before that is great. I think they stripped themselves down to be more accepted of American audeinces. I fyou want to hear some good Dir en grey, hit up GAUZE and Kisou, those are, in my opinon, their best two albums. Look through their singles too. There is a lot of good stuff there as well.
CountSixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:11 PM   #15
CountSixstring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintered
Ok.
So.
Keep in mind, this is coming from a guy who loves listening to people screaming and growling, fast beats, etc.

In my mind, they're "Eh". After listening to them for about 15 minutes now, I can tell you that I pretty much don't like them. Maybe it's not my cup of tea, I dunno. They're nice in short bursts, but the singer's voice just gets to me. I know they're probably trying to do something different, but eh.

(And for reference, the songs I listened to were "Saku", "Yokan", "Kodou",& "Mykau".)

As for the tickets, tell me how the show went. I'm wondering if because they're a Japanese group, if they do concerts any different. I've seen a bit of a difference between European/American concerts, so I'm wondering if it applies to Asia as well.
Yeah I can tell you from experience. Listening to the wrong songs at first can DEFINATELY Turn you off. I know that I said I was in love since I listened to them, but it took me a few songs worth to get into them
Also, their music videos are also a good watch.
CountSixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:19 PM   #16
biohazard

You are very lucky. I wish bands such as good as this one came to my country. I live in latin america, so this type of music does not come here T_T.
biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #17
LenorePoe

omg their concerts look so awesome, I wanna go someday.
LenorePoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #18
viscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenorePoe View Post
omg their concerts look so awesome, I wanna go someday.
Did you have to go and necro all of the Dir en grey threads?

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #19
Hearts_Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus View Post
Did you have to go and necro all of the Dir en grey threads?
It lives to irritate.
Hearts_Purple is offline   Reply With Quote