Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
the-nihilist

One man, one way mission to Mars

http://www.universetoday.com/13037/a...ssion-to-mars/
Old 10-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Fruitbat

I'd do it. One way mission. Why the heck not? Well before I had baby bat I would have done something like this.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
It's a miracle alone that 33 guys survived with their sanity intact for as long as they did, even with communication. I'd have to say, asking anyone to be on their own for 26 months is a literal guarenteed suicide mission, in that whoever would do it would commit suicide. Even an Aspergerian wouldn't stand a chance.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Beneath the Shadows

I think it's a fascinating prospect. Just developing the technologies to make the supply landefs possible would make for manned vessels that would be safer and possibly faster. Though I think the man/woman vessels would be the better option. Send several of those during every window of opportunity and within a couple of decades we'd have a viable colony with a sustainable gene pool.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
Garethsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
I'd have to say, asking anyone to be on their own for 26 months is a literal guarenteed suicide mission, in that whoever would do it would commit suicide.
I don't believe so, there are those who would enjoy a chance to escape the confines of social convention, simply being able to live without acting a certain way, talking a certain way or dressing a certain way can be hugely exhilarating. It's the epitome of true freedom. I would do almost anything to spend 26 months on my own.
Garethsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethsteen View Post
I don't believe so, there are those who would enjoy a chance to escape the confines of social convention, simply being able to live without acting a certain way, talking a certain way or dressing a certain way can be hugely exhilarating. It's the epitome of true freedom. I would do almost anything to spend 26 months on my own.
Thats why I mentioned the Aspergerian(how many of us with Aspergers like to refer to ourselves) example, I know the wish to live outside social boundaries quite well, the desire for isolation. But nomatter how technecally easier it would be to live outside of social boundaries for extended periods like that, I put up with them, because I know I wouldn't be able to go without other people like that. I doubt even a severe autistic could handle it.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 10-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Thats why I mentioned the Aspergerian(how many of us with Aspergers like to refer to ourselves) example, I know the wish to live outside social boundaries quite well, the desire for isolation. But nomatter how technecally easier it would be to live outside of social boundaries for extended periods like that, I put up with them, because I know I wouldn't be able to go without other people like that. I doubt even a severe autistic could handle it.
Maybe the new Hal 9000 would keep them company?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Maybe the new Hal 9000 would keep them company?
Hal told me he cant do it either.(by the way my real name is David, but forget about it I prefer going by Renatus on the internet)

Old 10-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
Fruitbat

I'd miss trees if I did the journey. I really have no quarms about giving up people for 26 months. I'd quite happily go into a retreat, but I know I'd never cope with coming back into society. I'd have to completely isolate myself for the rest of my life.

Oh and I'm not autistic.

Although knowing my luck I'd end up with a Marvin instead. (hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy).

Old 10-25-2010, 10:36 PM   #10
Garethsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
Although knowing my luck I'd end up with a Marvin instead. (hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy).
Hitchhiker's Guide is awesome. Anyway, if you do end up with a Marvin, at least you would have something to occupy your time - trying to cheer him up.
Garethsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:27 AM   #11
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethsteen View Post
Hitchhiker's Guide is awesome. Anyway, if you do end up with a Marvin, at least you would have something to occupy your time - trying to cheer him up.
Yeah - more like drive the poor robot crazy with my random ways - it would be too much for his logical circuits.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:40 AM   #12
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
Yeah - more like drive the poor robot crazy with my random ways - it would be too much for his logical circuits.
Nah, he'd probobly find a way to make your craziness depressing, and then get you depressed.