Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 12-20-2005, 03:01 PM   #1
katsumy

Exclamation Plastic Surgery?

What do you think? (about good cases and bad cases) Can plastic surgery help you or kill you?

- I'm planing on geting some implants wen I get older....
could come true some day soon...

* Katsumy *
katsumy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
rockandrose

I'm generally against plastic surgery, if it's purely for beauty reasons.

Naturally, there are physical elements about me that I sometimes am not happy about, but it doesn't affect my self-esteem that much.

There are always side effects to plastic surgery, which you shoud already know. There is always a risk that any surgery could end up being unsuccessful. Can you honestly see a doctor and hear him/her say that the surgery that you are about to take is foolproof or your life is guaranteed?

There have been cases of people dying from surgery of all kinds. Doctors don't have some form of special powers, they are also human beings, who can make mistakes. But, of course, doctors are meant to take work as premisely as possible at all times and should always maintain the safety of their patients. Generally, doctors study their arse off, and are taught the importance of their patient's safety. But, there are always exceptions to surgery gone wrong.

Negligence happens everyday, people die everyday.

I have a great respect for doctors, especially after dating one.

Keep in mind there are always a risk, whether it's big or small, it's still a risk involved when you're under the knife.

Do your research thoroughtly and be absolutely sure that you really want to go under the knife. Know the type of risks you will be taking.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:52 PM   #3
katsumy

Yeah I know all the risks... thats why I'm going to wait until I get a little bit older.

* Katsumy *
Old 12-20-2005, 03:59 PM   #4
rockandrose

Besides the medical risks involved. Perphaps, you could ask yourself, why you want the surgery so badly? Will you benefit a great deal from this surgery?
Old 12-20-2005, 06:13 PM   #5
horrorgirl

I think people should only get plastic surgery if they have been injured or if they have some sort of deformity. Getting breat implants if you have had your breasts removed because of cancer if okay I think. However, just getting implants because you feel like you breasts aren't big enough isn't really a good idea. I believe that women who get implants because of that have self esteem issues that should be dealt with instead of sticking something foreign in their body to make them happy.Society tells women that in order to be happy,and attractive, you have to have a certain sized breast. But then they push rail thin models in ads who have no breasts. Society is hypocritical, so getting implants is letting it hold dominion over yourself.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:21 PM   #6
horrorgirl

I've known quite a few people who wanted reductions because of severe back pain. I think getting a breast reduction is way different than putting silicone in your body. At this point I'm really glad that I have regular sized boobies.

EDIT: Regular as in not big boobies.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:25 PM   #7
Scythan

Society promotes good appearances because that is the way humans are wired. No matter what we say, we still judge others by how they look, although that is mitigated by our ability to also judge by personality and intelligence. We are driven to want to look our best, as that gives us a higher chance of attracting the opposite sex. We practice good hygiene and wear clean clothes because that helps us become more attractive to others.

If someone has the money and ability to improve their appearance, why do you see anything wrong with it? It is just us responding to our need to seem attractive. The only thing society does is embody the underlying trends that dictate what is seen as most attractive. As these trends change, so does the "ideal" body type that is shown to us most often in advertisements and such. I belive that need for improvement in appearance is natural, and I see having showers and getting plastic surgery as different means in achieving a higher level of attractiveness.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:29 PM   #8
horrorgirl

BUT getting plastic surgery can be life threatening. I think that taking a shower and being put under sedation and getting cut up are two different things. I had to get my septum fixed because of a medical problem and I can't understand why people would actually want to go through the pain and risks because they feel like they aren't good enough. It's all a self esteem issue in my opinion.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:30 PM   #9
katsumy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
K, so if you know all the risks & don't want people to tell you it's dangerous, if what we say isn't going to change your mind at all, why did you decide this would make a good thread? And why is it in whining?
- #1 Because is a good theme where any one can post their opinion about plastic surgery.
-#2 And it is in Whining because there are different opinions of each people and there could be a "controversy".

- I know the risks but I want to know what you guys think about it.!!

*hugs to every one

* Katsumy *
Old 12-20-2005, 06:32 PM   #10
Scythan

Self esteem issues, unless extreme, can be of benefit. Just as stress can drive someone to study harder for an upcoming test, self esteem causes people to strive to improve their appearance. If we all didn't care about how we looked, the more attractive ones would still get noticed more often than others.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:40 PM   #11
rockandrose

Plastic surgery to enhance onself, through means of breast implants, botox etc, is a want, and not a need. It is indeed, "natural" to want to physically improve ourselves, but to resort to plastic surgery to compensate our self-estem isn't exactly the best way to handle the situation, as horrorgirl has already pointed out.

We live in a plastic world, a world where physical looks will always be admired, and sometimes even moreso than one's intelligence.

Wanting to look good, to look better, prettier etc, is a natural aspect of being a human being. But really, there is a limit. A person's life shouldn't evolve just around glam.

I think one of the most beautiful physcial attributes of a woman, are her breasts, whether it's big or small.

Make-up, breast implants, clothes, jewellery and many other superfical things can enhance or compliment one's beauty, but it is superficial, it is not part of a person's natural beauty. It's something we wear in order to please ourselves and to impress others.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:41 PM   #12
rockandrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythan
Self esteem issues, unless extreme, can be of benefit. Just as stress can drive someone to study harder for an upcoming test, self esteem causes people to strive to improve their appearance. If we all didn't care about how we looked, the more attractive ones would still get noticed more often than others.
Actually, by improving one's appearance may be a benefit to one's self esteem, but it doesn't cure the problem.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:45 PM   #13
katsumy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandrose
Actually, by improving one's appearance may be a benefit to one's self esteem, but it doesn't cure the problem.

I agree... thats true.

* Katsumy *
Old 12-20-2005, 06:45 PM   #14
Scythan

As long as one is more attractive than another, there is an imbalance that the less attractive one tries to correct. That is how I believe it is, but it is a pity that there are people who have severe self esteem issues and suffer from anorexia and other disorders.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #15
katsumy

Unhappy

Quote:
As long as one is more attractive than another, there is an imbalance that the less attractive one tries to correct. That is how I believe it is, but it is a pity that there are people who have severe self esteem issues and suffer from anorexia and other disorders.
* Yes they have body image issues... and the bad thing is that it can lead to death from anorexia and other disorders like you mention it. But there again self stem is very important in a persons life... I'm a little uncomfortable because... well I'm "flat chested" well not that flat. I would have plastic surgery to be "normal" like other woman with cleavage... That’s what I want...

* Katsumy *
Old 12-20-2005, 06:55 PM   #16
rockandrose

I used to work for a company, as a Make-up artists and naturally, there was a lot of females. There was so much competition, to look better than the next person. Backstabbing and gossiping, which happens isn't new to the female world. I used to have an extreme passion for make-up, but I really couldn't handle myself working in such a fake world, where girls always looking at each other, with envy and sadness.

Well, I think make-up is a safer way to help with one's self esteem, as opposed to plastic surgery.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:58 PM   #17
katsumy

Well you have a point there... it's pain free

* Katsumy *
Old 12-20-2005, 06:58 PM   #18
Scythan

It is definitely safer, but it accomplishes the same thing. However, I don't think make-up can help much with some things, such as breast size. I really don't think we should condemn people for doing/ wanting something that is completely natural.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:01 PM   #19
katsumy

Again we see diferent good points. -It's controversial- I "liky, liky"
*hugs every one*

* Katsumy *
Old 12-20-2005, 07:06 PM   #20
rockandrose

Katsumy, I'm reasonably happy with my boobs.

When a guy honestly tells me to never have breast implants, have botox, or wear make-up, not to impress me but because he accepts me physically and mentally as a person, that is what heightens my self-esteem.

I think learning to view yourself more positively is one step to improving your self esteem.

Self esteem isn't just a physical problem. It's also a mental problem that no plastic surgery can cure.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:11 PM   #21
katsumy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Why do you keep "hugging" everyone? I personally don't want to be hugged, thank you very much. This is a debate, not Katsumy's Love Fest.
-Thats my personal signature, I use it a lot... that's why it's there......

* Katsumy *
Old 12-20-2005, 07:13 PM   #22
rockandrose

Quote:
It is definitely safer, but it accomplishes the same thing. However, I don't think make-up can help much with some things, such as breast size. I really don't think we should condemn people for doing/ wanting something that is completely natural.
Make-up and plastic surgery are superfical, which is not a natural aspect of a human being. It can temporarily heighten a person's self esteem, or make them happy for a while. They are both an artificial beauty.

I'm not stopping anyone from going under the knife, simply pointing out my opinion.
rockandrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:15 PM   #23
katsumy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandrose
Katsumy, I'm reasonably happy with my boobs.

When a guy honestly tells me to never have breast implants, have botox, or wear make-up, not to impress me but because he accepts me physically and mentally as a person, that is what heightens my self-esteem.

I think learning to view yourself more positively is one step to improving your self esteem.

Self esteem isn't just a physical problem. It's also a mental problem that no plastic surgery can cure.
- In my case I want implants for me... Not because other people say it to me... and I'm very happy with my body as it is but that part, well there is the fact that I look like a 12 year old... a tall one... and I'll wait a bit longer to see if they grow.... I REALY HOPE SO!!!
- And people had told me that they get biger if you get pregnant.... and then well they look droopy... - Is that true???

* Katsumy *
Old 12-20-2005, 07:22 PM   #24
rockandrose

Everyone's body is different.

Your hormones and genes differ from your friends etc.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:23 PM   #25
Scythan

If someone tells you that they think you are attractive, physically or another attribute, then you are being reassured that you are more attractive than the norm. Since the "ideal" isn't set in stone, there are many different ways to be appealing. A forceful personality and a sharp intellect, for instance, can make up for merely average physical appearance.

By "viewing yourself more positively", you are convincing yourself that you are more attractive than you previously viewed yourself. There are some that need this convincing because they have a too critical view of themselves and it is interfering with the other aspects of their life.

"Make-up and plastic surgery are superfical, which is not a natural aspect of a human being. It can temporarily heighten a person's self esteem, or make them happy for a while. They are both an artificial beauty."

Viewed in this way, taking showers and brushing your teeth are the same as plastic surgery. Should we be happy with whatever we get? Someone who is born with average looks is in the same boat as someone who has an obvious deformity. Though these seem much different, they are both below the ideal. Why would one be allowed to improve their looks and the other condemned?