Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Ben Lahnger

"Kolchak: The Night Stalker" now on Netflix IW

"Kolchak: The Night Stalker" television series now on Netflix Instant Watch

From the Wikipedia article about Kolchak: The Night Stalker:

Kolchak: The Night Stalker is an American television series that aired on ABC during the 1974-75 season. It featured a fictional newspaper reporter – Carl Kolchak, played by Darren McGavin – who investigates mysterious crimes with unlikely causes, particularly ones law enforcement authorities won't pursue. Often these crimes involve some element of the supernatural or science fiction, such as fantastical creatures.

The series was preceded by two television movies, The Night Stalker (1972) and The Night Strangler (1973). While the series only lasted for one season, it remained popular in syndication, and is often credited as the inspiration for the popular television series The X-Files.

This show was made back when vampires were monsters and men trembled with fear at their own mortality and fallibility. I enjoyed the series very much when it first aired, and other than the dated music, clothing and sexual mores, it still is better than a lot of what gets put on the air now as supernatural horror.

Although, the original Night Stalker movie was really the highlight for me ... that film featured a vampire who was so purely animal-like in his need for blood and so monstrously scary in his supernatural strength and invulnerability that it was amazing to me that they allowed it to air on prime-time TV.

But airing it in prime-time was exactly the right thing to do, as The Night Stalker garnered the highest ratings of any TV movie at that time (33.2 rating - 54 share). (WIKIPEDIA)

So, the series is available now through Netflix's Instant Watch service, while the original "The Night Stalker" movie that started it all (accompanied by the sequel movie "The Night Strangler" on the flip side of the DVD) is only available as a DVD by mail rental from Netflix at this time.

That's a lot of entertainment for the $9 a month cost of Netflix.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Ben Lahnger

As an added point of interest, they now have all 9 seasons of The X-Files available on IW, plus the first X-Files movie, as well as all 7 seasons of Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:11 AM   #3
nimo1224

Good.....