Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 09-10-2015, 07:40 AM   #5701
Molster

Coming from Scotland we have a fine tradition of men in kilts...
Molster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:08 AM   #5702
Scientiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molster View Post
Coming from Scotland we have a fine tradition of men in kilts...
Not so much for the west coast, but at least we are better than texas
Scientiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:55 AM   #5703
Molster

Sadly I know little of life and attitudes in the US of A....
Old 09-11-2015, 06:43 AM   #5704
Scientiam

I only know the attitude form my area. Which is a lot different than all the other areas.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:12 AM   #5705
Molster

Well I think everybody should be free to wear whatever grooves their truffle!
Old 09-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #5706
Scientiam

I agree. Also i really like truffle things...
Old 09-15-2015, 01:49 AM   #5707
Acharis

Huh. I wish. I am often unable to wear what I would want to, can't go out and struggle to lift my arms to style my hair.

For a long time I felt that as a loss and almost that I didn't belong as a goth anymore. But just as I thought I was done with it it's creeping back strongly and coming out in other ways. I realise I am who I always was. I can't sew my own clothes anymore or wear certain things, but I've fallen hard for the music again and have rescued some barbies from the op shop to dress (and perhaps sew for) in place of myself.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:08 AM   #5708
Molster

Damn, that sounds shit Acharis, huge hugs!
Old 09-15-2015, 08:19 AM   #5709
Scientiam

I'm agreeing with Molster here
Old 09-16-2015, 02:33 AM   #5710
Molster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientiam View Post
I'm agreeing with Molster here
lol, that doesn't happen often, someone agreeing with ickle me
Old 09-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #5711
Anise

" .. whatever grooves their truffle"
That's gotta be one of the finest set of words that I've ever had the delight to read! Speaking of delight, Jonathan Davis in a black kilt is my idea of Truffle!
Anise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:38 PM   #5712
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharis View Post
Huh. I wish. I am often unable to wear what I would want to, can't go out and struggle to lift my arms to style my hair.

For a long time I felt that as a loss and almost that I didn't belong as a goth anymore. But just as I thought I was done with it it's creeping back strongly and coming out in other ways. I realise I am who I always was. I can't sew my own clothes anymore or wear certain things, but I've fallen hard for the music again and have rescued some barbies from the op shop to dress (and perhaps sew for) in place of myself.
You don't have to dress like your chosen tribe... as long as it's in your heart. If I had to label myself I'd be a Quaker-goth-punk-spiritual-hippie with deep green beliefs (really not sure what i'd be wearing)

Molster: Keep me away from Scottish men!!... I have a thing for the Scottish accent and kilts!! Oh my Gawd!! When I was 16 I was in scotland (Perth) and a busload of young guys went past, yelling "Show us your tits," it was a little embarrassing as our parents were there... while my sister was going on about how sexist it was, all I could say was "Oh you have such lovely accents, come back so I can listen more!"

And don't get me started on having to watch Sean Connory movies to listen to his accent...

Just don't mention Antonio Bandaras... god, his accent is dead set sexy... so is the actor who played Snape in the Harry potter series (alan rickman?)...

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:23 PM   #5713
Scientiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molster View Post
lol, that doesn't happen often, someone agreeing with ickle me
Yeah.
@Anise, We will burn those bridges when we get to them.
BEST SAYING EVER
@Fruitbat, Have any other accents you like?
Old 09-16-2015, 11:31 PM   #5714
Scientiam

I know this isn't the right place to ask, but the fashion section scares me...
is there any tips on getting or making goth clothing as a teen?
Old 09-16-2015, 11:50 PM   #5715
Stormbringer

Quote:
I know this isn't the right place to ask, but the fashion section scares me...
is there any tips on getting or making goth clothing as a teen?
Use your imagination - thrift stores and anything in basic black can be adapted for little or no cost. It depends on how 'out there ' you want to be.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:56 PM   #5716
Scientiam

I dont really give a fuck.
So... out there?
Old 09-17-2015, 12:04 AM   #5717
Stormbringer

Quote:
I dont really give a fuck.
So... out there?
Sorry...just trying to help.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:09 AM   #5718
Acharis

Yeah, there's a lot on the net and on here. I used to make stuff but now just mainly stick to op shops because it's easier. Depending on your style you can add things to a cheap garment like fabric paint, rips or studs.

Wondering why the fashion section scares you? The site perhaps used to be more srs about the fashion/culture, but the world has moved on and everyone left here seems more relaxed. If that helps.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:37 AM   #5719
Scientiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
Sorry...just trying to help.
Oh no. You are being helpful. Im just saying i dont really give a fuck about what people in close range to me think.

thanks Acharis... though I'm not exactly sure what you mean by op shops.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:15 AM   #5720
Molster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
Molster: Keep me away from Scottish men!!... I have a thing for the Scottish accent and kilts!! Oh my Gawd!! When I was 16 I was in scotland (Perth) and a busload of young guys went past, yelling "Show us your tits," it was a little embarrassing as our parents were there... while my sister was going on about how sexist it was, all I could say was "Oh you have such lovely accents, come back so I can listen more!"

And don't get me started on having to watch Sean Connory movies to listen to his accent...
I have to say I love the Scots accent too although I maybe just a little biased...however, saying that avoid the Glaswegian accent...that one is just a little rough!
Old 09-17-2015, 02:17 AM   #5721
Acharis

Quote:
thanks Acharis... though I'm not exactly sure what you mean by op shops.
Oh, op shops aren't called that in other countries.. thrift stores? Tag sales? Bargain centres? Charity shops? The subject of this monstrosity.

Fortunately I was op shopping for decades before that song came out and look a hell of a lot better than that video... you wouldn't be able to tell where I got the clothes.

I've found fishnet and tights, leather boots and jackets, velvet... the only catch is you have to dig through all the ugly stuff and check regularly. Maybe see through to an items potential and do a few small changes like rip off the trim or sew on more tasteful buttons.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:57 AM   #5722
Stormbringer

Yeah, I own clothes by several Australian labels whose stores I would never venture into. I work about two doors away from one op-shop and I'm in there every other day without fail. Their jewelry collection is a good thing too. I've often bought beads, silver and interseting vintage items at a fraction of the price they would have originally sold at.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:50 AM   #5723
Anise

Thrift stores .. we call them 2nd hand shops or charity shops.
I love them! In Ireland we have the usual 2nd hand goods stores, but we also have stores that stock vintage clothes. The latter are good because it saves you time .. browsing through kitsch and random stuff.

I like them for several reasons, the items there aren't stocked in large quantity .. they are more so one off finds? So when I browse lol I feel like a seeker, a treasure hunter!? The clothing items may be pre-worn, but they were possibly pre-loved? They are still sold on in wearable good condition and the payment goes towards helping a charity. I'm a follower of 'recycle-reuse-redefine'. It's important to me to recycle, plus I enjoy adapting items and making them my own .... I don't want to look akin to anyone else per say? Individual taste and representing Me, that's my objective.

I do buy the odd item from 'gothic clothing' sellers, but if I'm honest I find the majority of items overpriced - considering their make up, design, material quality etc ..
So much so that I've recently enrolled on a night class at a nearby college - Dressmaking
Probs be me and a lot of grannies? But fuck it, old folks know some cool shit, and hopefully I'll learn more about adapting clothing in regards to resizing, redesigning and possibly the skill to make my own?

Fashion is cyclical .. pretty much it's all been done before, alternated, inspired a rejuvenation. Better to be your own muse, wear what IS you, what suits you in cut, style & colour. That's your base, body shapes differ, very few of us are mannequins .. well, I'm not!
Anise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:45 AM   #5724
Molster

I'm afraid to say I'm one of those that buys most of my clothes from the internet "Gothic Clothing" sellers, places like:
Phaze
Rebels Market
EMP
Rose Mortem
Draculas Clothing

not forgetting my current fav....
Heavy Red

I've tried making stuff myself or just adjusting stuff but it's never quite worked out right...
Old 09-17-2015, 07:08 AM   #5725
Scientiam

Thanks for all the advice folks