Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

View Poll Results: What did you think of the Grudge?
kewl!! 10 38.46%
it sucked 12 46.15%
I've never seen it... 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2005, 08:24 AM   #1
gothic_vampire

The Grudge

Have you watched the grudge? if so what did you think of it?
gothic_vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:40 AM   #2
rockandrose

The japanese version, which is the orginal movie is better. Plus, I prefer the 'The Ring' than 'The Grudge', possibly because I watched 'The Ring' first and lost some thrill interest by the time I got around to watching 'The Grudge'.

Overall, the american version of 'The Grudge' wasn't OK. I love the character that the young boy portrayed in this movie.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:04 AM   #3
soggypicklemuncher

I generally dislike American remakes of foreign films, The Ring being an exception. I thought the American remake of The Grudge was lame, using loud noises and cheap surprises to thrill its mostly pre-teen and teenaged audience. (I'm aware that I'm still a teenager but my taste in films doesn't match up with that of the general teenage target audience).

Sarah Michelle Gellar didn't help either.

I think the Japanese version was fine just as it was and the only reason it was remade was because it's not the type of film that would do well being shown with subtitles in small independent theaters but the plotline and success of the Japanese film made it a good prospect for the American market.

Geez, I get verbose when I need sleep.

You only see what you want to believe
When you creep from the back
I got tricks up my sleeve
24/7 the devil's best friend
It makes no difference
It's all the same in the end

-"Same in the End" by Sublime
soggypicklemuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:19 AM   #4
rockandrose

I'm not a big fan of american horror/thriller movies as I think they're good for fun entertainment, watched once.

On ther other hand, based on the movies that I've seen, I think the Japanese produce some good eye-gripping horror movies. Whereas, these days the Americans horror/thriller movies are tend to have typical story lines and at times, you can easily guess what will happen next. Americans are good at producing romance and comedy, but their horro/thriller movies is simply ok.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:51 AM   #5
thetiesonyourcorset

i loved it!! it was hilarious when my dad was going like "there shivers going down my spine" and i wasn't! i didn't see the original just the Sarah Michelle Gellar one but it was awesome,i'd love to own it on dvd!!
thetiesonyourcorset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:58 AM   #6
Nemesis

I liked it, it wasnt particlly scary, but it did make me jump once, when she was on the bus and you could hear the noise, i love doing that noise! Its great! hehe
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:09 AM   #7
Demonista_Ravenesque

I watched it when I was stoned...so everything was just hilarious.

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:19 AM   #8
soggypicklemuncher

There are pros and cons to watching movies while you're stoned. On the one hand, it's almost guaranteed to be entertaining. On the other hand, it's really difficult to follow the plot and I've fallen asleep many times when I was stoned and watching a film. I even fell asleep during Videodrome once.

You only see what you want to believe
When you creep from the back
I got tricks up my sleeve
24/7 the devil's best friend
It makes no difference
It's all the same in the end

-"Same in the End" by Sublime
soggypicklemuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:57 PM   #9
AlKilyu

There is three versions of "The Grudge". There is a JTV one, the very first, called "Ju-On". It had a sequel also on JTV. The director saw on the internet that many people around the world refered to them as being some of the scariest movies ever made, so he remade it into "Ju-On: The Grudge" with better film stock (original was shot on a cheaper stock which actually made it pretty creepy) but this one combined scenes from the previous two. That was a theatrical hit, being that the others were straight to video, so he made a sequel to the remake. That one has completely new storylines.

SO he remade it again, this time in America. The female ghost and the little boy (TO-SHI-O!) have been in all five versions, and will be in the third Japanese sequel as well as the upcoming American sequel, which is once again something completely new and thankfully won't be a remake of the first remake's sequel, if you can keep track of all of that.

EPS and Manimal laughed and made jokes while I was showing them the original (first remake) but what happened after I left is legendary. ^_^

If you DO like J-Horror, you can either seek out Kairo (Pulse) at scarecrow.com or wait, because like Ju-On/The Grudge they are remaking it for American audiences starring the chick from Veronica Mars and will, like with The Grudge, release the original beforehand in limited theaters.
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 02:20 PM   #10
EpItApH

Yup me like it alot! yes Ju-on is much better but this has got Sarah in it! Buffy!! that automatically makes it 'two thumbs up' in my book.. loved it!
EpItApH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 04:29 PM   #11
Phayte

The grudge.. that was scary? I laughed..

I want to see Ju-on. Just because people say its better.
I have yet to watch a movie that scares me. I think I might be totally immune to "Horror" though. I started watching movies like that when I was 4.

~Phayte
Phayte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:25 PM   #12
NyQuil of Doom

I haven't seen it yet. It's not something I'd go out of my way to see, but maybe I'll rent it sometime if whatever else I want to see isn't available.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:00 PM   #13
Danag

Actually. I liked it. Though, a few things about it bothered me, and there were a bunch of plotholes. Oh well.

... I need sleep.
Danag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:12 PM   #14
rockandrose

Old Hong Kong and Japanese horror movies are way better than the current digitalised movies that aren't even scary.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:11 PM   #15
Danag

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandrose
Old Hong Kong and Japanese horror movies are way better than the current digitalised movies that aren't even scary.
In the commentary the director said he wanted to use as little CG in the remake of The Grudge as possible, but yes, I agree with you.
Danag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:03 PM   #16
moonbaby345

It sucked so bad.
moonbaby345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #17
spookypurple

The original is pretty darned good, though the American version felt more linear and the storyline seemed easier to understand. Favourite reaction line to the American version. "They killed Buffy! You can't do that!!!"

But I do love the Japanese horror films... Technically inspiring. Korean ones seem dreamier...
Japanese+German Expressionist+Hammer/Amicus - fab!

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:22 PM   #18
Queenofdarkness57

The movie was really bad, I hate the ending. I was disappointed, I spent almost two hrs. watching this movie at least provide a decent ending* sighs*. In addition to that, the american actors were not right for the part, especially Sarah Michelle Gellar and THE boyfriend.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:19 AM   #19
Schneider

It was sorta entertaining, but when I walked out of the theater I realized it had almost no plot to it. It just had a bunch of scenes seemingly thrown together to try to scare people. Or maybe I just didn't catch the plot?
Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:18 PM   #20
freddy666

i've never seen the first one but the second one was on so i said what the hell and watched, it wasnt among my favorite horror movies but i didnt hate it
freddy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #21
~~Auriel~~

I saw the first one, the second one with english subtitles, and the second one that was released in the US.
The first one scared the hell out me when I first saw it, but after the second time I watched it I started to feel sorry for the scary lady, lol.
I like the second one that was released in the US better than the Japanese one for the same reason I didn't like Pan's Labyrinth. I hate reading subtitles. Good movies though...all of them.
~~Auriel~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #22
Eclipsing the Son

Both The Grudge AND Ju-On were terrible.
Eclipsing the Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #23
gothicusmaximus

Wait-- does this board censor "********"?

EDIT: Indeed, for a reason I can't imagine, the gnet forums will not display the name 'M.ichelle', sans period.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #24
Gloomybunneh

it wasnt all that great. Japanease vershion was better.
..american vershion..i just found myself laughing more then expected.
Gloomybunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #25
Despanan

The Ghost in "The Grudge" was essentially a "Stay the Hell off my lawn, ya damn kids!" sorta monster.

Overall I'd say: "meh."
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote