Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 10-25-2005, 04:46 PM   #151
stormframer

Exclamation design vs. evolution

BOTH...,,only in grand design did science exist....but ar we goin to abuot intelligence??? are we trying to makin a difference....altruism...the bitch is we only care about ourselves....and the darkness do i dwelll watching eternity over and over again.......sHHH!
stormframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:06 PM   #152
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormframer
BOTH...,,only in grand design did science exist....but ar we goin to abuot intelligence??? are we trying to makin a difference....altruism...the bitch is we only care about ourselves....and the darkness do i dwelll watching eternity over and over again.......sHHH!

That just about sums it up for me...
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:35 AM   #153
rockandrose

Empty Purple Stars - PERFECT!
Old 10-26-2005, 02:52 AM   #154
Empty_Purple_Stars

Thank you.. Thank you..

I'll be here in sleep deprived form all night..

Don't forget to tip your waitress..
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:16 AM   #155
Disfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny-like_the_apple
ID doesn't deny microevolution, for exactly those reasons. It's the evidence for macroevolution, the stuff it would be impossible for humans to have directly observed, like the evolution from a single-celled organism to a platypus, that ID presents as incomplete.
I was going to make a comment against this, but then stuff came up. I became re-aware of the fact that stuff is more important. Therefore, I'll concede defeat in this and go on to stuff. Stuff is sexy.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:54 AM   #156
Rosie

Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:15 AM   #157
BlueMoon

My theory is the world did not exist before I started to remember it, can we teach that in school?

A theory is an idea that has not been profen right or wrong.

And you can't proof the world exists beyond my memory and vision...it might all be lies and fakes.

I also believe all I imagine exists, equally too what I remember for my mind may not know the difference.

I created you all
BlueMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:28 AM   #158
Peter

Kansas went with ID.

... and redifined science to not just natural explanations.

"God did it", coming to germ theory near you next
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:55 AM   #159
talon

I love this contraversial topic, but there are some people here that have looked into much more than I have. At the start of this page The Karova Milkbar and Tstone were absolutely into it. Now that I get to the end everybody is laughing all because of one other site. And I reckon it is funniest part of this thread.

But I'm going to end this seriously. Alot of people, religious or not, say they don't push their ways on to others. ID obviously is pushing the theory that a god/goddess/being created this planet or even this universe. It just so happens, that in christianity, the world was created by god in "6 days". Anybody got a feeling of deja vu?

And another question. Does anybody know who actually created this "ID" (a manipulative form of bringing christianity into schools)
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:12 PM   #160
rockandrose

No barriers to local intelligent design lesson

A brief comparison between the USA and Australian's opinion on intelligent design taught in school.

Source:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...032083694.html
Old 12-31-2005, 07:11 PM   #161
PhilSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Kansas went with ID.

... and redifined science to not just natural explanations.

"God did it", coming to germ theory near you next
"Well, I would prescribe a course of antibiotics, but since God's threatened to make microbes immune to 'em it's probably better to ease off on them for the moment..."
PhilSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 10:11 PM   #162
ExistentialDisorder

Why does ID have to always be about god?

Let's just pretend for a moment that the world and everything on and in it really was created by some highly inteligent being. That doesn't automatically mean that said being was God. All it means is that it was somebody more inteligent than us. Or, I should say, more capable than us. More technilogically advanced.

The human body is a machine. Really, that's all it is. Every living thing, from the smallest plant to the smartest human, they're all just machines. We create machines too, we just use metals and plastics to build them.

Dolphins and monkeys can't build machines. We can. Does that make us gods?

"What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection
Is it all you wanted to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks?
Would you find yourself [or]
Find yourself afraid to see?..." -NIN
ExistentialDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:09 AM   #163
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistentialDisorder
Why does ID have to always be about god?
Intention.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:18 PM   #164
Anubissokar

Im agnostic... But it doesnt matter if you beleive in God or not. There is no scientific evidence to support God's (or a highly intelligent creating being's) existance. Therefore it shouldnt be taught as scientific truth in schools.
It only comforts me that Bush will either be impeached this year or at least he only has 2 years left in office. (3 if you count this one)
Anubissokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:50 AM   #165
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
How many presidents have we sucessfuly kicked out of foffice again?

Oh, right, none. We might have gotten one, but he fled.

Yano what? I'm pretty sure that Bush isn't even worried about being impeached. I'm pretty sure he's just worried that his next speach contains too many big words.

And as for intelligent design? It's alright for a relgion class. And there's no reason that you can't think that's right, if you choose to. As long as both theories are taught side by side, and neither is presented as better than the other, it's made a matter of personal opinion.

And in the end, what isn't? Does it really matter what the already vastly undereducated youth of America thinks happened to some monkeys millions of years ago? How does knowing evolution theory help you in real life? School is mostly there to teach us to learn, not to give us all the answers on Jeopardy. Some people just loose sight of that sometimes.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:14 AM   #166
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther
Does it really matter what the already vastly undereducated youth of America thinks happened to some monkeys millions of years ago? How does knowing evolution theory help you in real life? School is mostly there to teach us to learn, not to give us all the answers on Jeopardy. Some people just loose sight of that sometimes.
#We don't need no education; we don't need no thought control.#

#Hey teacher!, leave those kids alone.#

Seriously though, you could probably argue that, well, most of the stuff we learn in school has "no real life use". Mind you, I'd personally disagree - it's more no everyday use, but that doesn't make it useless, if you want to understand biology, you should really have a basic understanding of evolution. It's a bit like knowing how to use applications without knowing how the computer works, sure you can get away with it most of the time, but if the computer throws something unexpected at you, you're kind of screwed.

Besides, part of learning how to learn is starting from the base theorem and working upwards, building on top of the basics, and evolution is certainly that.

Intelligent design is of course fine, but never as part of science class as you rightly point out. It ain't science, it can't be, it isn't a natural explanation. (Now court-tested too). Starting from intelligent design caused evolution is fine of course, not that I think that, but unfortunately many ID proponents are more interested in trying to create doubt where none should be about evolution.

Kind of sad really, if ID people stopped doing that they may get more acceptance, but that isn't what ID is for, it's to promote Christianity.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:03 AM   #167
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
Hmm. That's a good point. I forgot about biology students. Though, if you're going to be a scientist, perhaps you'd willingly search out something that doesn't rely completely on a being who's very existenceis disputed by science as a whole, if not necissarily scientists as a whole.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 03:14 AM   #168
kacy veil

i agree

there's no more to say but to agree!!!you got the point.
kacy veil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 03:16 AM   #169
kacy veil

not if it comes naturally!
kacy veil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #170
Loy

Since somebody else beat me to a story I'd been wanting to work on, figured you guys might like to check it out

http://www.seattleweekly.com/news/06...ery-darwin.php
Old 02-05-2006, 05:46 PM   #171
sensuous0mar

Last weekend I was forced to go to a debate/lecture on this subject (for my biology class) and I wanted to vomit. I was so bored out of my mind. All the panelists did was repeat themselves over and over again and they were PROFESSIONAL biologists. Yucky.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:03 AM   #172
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensuous0mar
Last weekend I was forced to go to a debate/lecture on this subject (for my biology class) and I wanted to vomit. I was so bored out of my mind. All the panelists did was repeat themselves over and over again and they were PROFESSIONAL biologists. Yucky.
Yeah, make-believe does tend to be more fun.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:57 AM   #173
talon

Make-believe IS fun, for instance, I am The Intelligent Designer. That is so because I believe in it. Or maybe I'm your god no matter what religion YOU believe in.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:33 PM   #174
Loy

No Sensuous, whta probably bored you was the fact that these proffesional biologists pointed out facts and theorums, and then expected you to either respond or retort, but seeing how your scope of understanding isn't exactly the greatest in the world, your mind shuit down from the tedium of too much thinking, and only remembered the facts it COULD understand ("I'm a scientist") whilst blocking everything else out.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #175
WolfMoon

Sounds like a debate I would've been very interested in. I always liked science in school.

Did they tape it?
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote