Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-19-2008, 12:58 AM   #101
KontanKarite

Oh wormboy... there's no sense in that. I don't think that really matters.

Stripped down to the skin, the only thing that is questionable with people is your hair. Granted, I can go on a rant about gender roles and how it's lame to "expect a man to have short hair".

Check this out. Did you know that it's protected by law for men to dress in drag, so long as they claim it? So men are technically allowed to have long hair for example without any threat to their employment.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:40 AM   #102
Solumina

Most employers do prefer that men with long hair keep it pulled back, for some reason a guy with a ponytail is seen as more professional
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:51 AM   #103
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Oh wormboy... there's no sense in that. I don't think that really matters.

Stripped down to the skin, the only thing that is questionable with people is your hair. Granted, I can go on a rant about gender roles and how it's lame to "expect a man to have short hair".

Check this out. Did you know that it's protected by law for men to dress in drag, so long as they claim it? So men are technically allowed to have long hair for example without any threat to their employment.
Mohawks, facial piercings, and tattoos, however, are not in that law much.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:09 PM   #104
le_revenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magila
Stop over doing your look and get a real job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badteccy
Dude, it's already hard enough to get a job these days. Forget about keeping your "cool" look and bite the bullet.
LOL! These summed it up for me!
Personally, though, I don't care to share my real life with my workmates (save our receptionist who's uber-cool, Jessica Alba pretty, and a self-closeted lesbian). I work in a law office so the opinions are generally conservative. Lord knows the receptionist has already sat through the paralegals going off on homosexuals in general, so she's not about to come out to them. As for how I dress outside of work, they don't need to know! The only indicator of "that other life" I've ever given them is my choice of music softly playing in my office (which passes for the copy/fax room ).
Even if they looked at the names of my Live365 player's stations (i.e. Death Guild radio; Darkwave_UK; etc.) I throw them a loop by including KROQ Classic 80s, Girls on Stage, & Radio Louisiane
le_revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #105
Mugen

Most of you 'goths' here reminds me of the 'I'm a goth, but when I go to school/work I dress as a 'normal' person and listen to rap, to be cool-'-goth.

Just go find some job, do a interview, if they don't hire you, then keep trying. I've got a lot of emo/goth friends, and most of them work, they've never been judged by their looks or anything in a jobinterview. But hey, what do I know, I'm from Norway. Sounds like the US sucks balls if it's like that.
Mugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #106
KontanKarite

In a country where you basically have to force employers to not be racist, you know, because they're all racist, you shouldn't be surprised that something as simple as the way you look is an issue in that country. It is, mostly true, Mugen.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:43 AM   #107
Mugen

Quote:
In a country where you basically have to force employers to not be racist, you know, because they're all racist, you shouldn't be surprised that something as simple as the way you look is an issue in that country. It is, mostly true, Mugen.
I'm glad I'm not living in a shitty country like that, then.
Mugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #108
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
OMG! MODELING!
I'm not even gonna go into my rant about how basically anyone can be an "alt" model these days, no matter how hideous to look at. Not even gonna....
Please do. I wanna read it.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #109
KontanKarite

It's true. I'm an "alt" model and I'm ugly as a mud fence.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #110
badteccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Please do. I wanna read it.
Ok. This is a trend I have noticed in alt modeling. If you have a digital camera and have hair falls or something that is PVC you can do it. Just look at sites like modelmayhem.com. I have seen plenty of people in the "scene" that make a stab at it, and while that may be nice, most of the pictures are stereotypical, uncreative crap. Like REALLY stereotypical and uncreative. Also, I'm sorry...but real modeling is a lot fucking different and more work. I don't agree with the way things are run, but that's how it is. I could put in some falls and get a knife with ketchup, have one of my photographer friends take a picture and BAM! I'm a "model". It's so effortless and uncreative. I've also noticed that a LOT of alt people go for modeling...you can't all be models, damn. Sure, go ahead and try, but I will doubt any credibility until I see something other than a medical/graveyard/industrial park/"evil" tea party theme.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #111
KontanKarite

LoL!! Oh man, it's so fucking true.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #112
chelseagirl

I guess I've been lucky, I've never had any trouble with getting jobs. I've been working as a legal assistant since 1999, and been with 4 different law firms. During this time, I've had a red/black mohawk (which I was also allowed to wear "up" at work), dread extensions, strangely colored hair, lip and septum piercings, and I have a LOT of tattoos.

I do tone down my dress and makeup while I'm at work (i.e. no fishnets, miniskirts, bright red eyeshadow, etc), but I do still wear all black, heavy eyeliner, platform boots and creepers, and my usual skull/bats/spider/gaudy jewelry and piercings.

I have never, not even once, had anyone have a problem with it...only an occasional person telling me I remind them of Abby on NCIS, lol!
Old 06-20-2008, 11:55 AM   #113
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
I guess I've been lucky, I've never had any trouble with getting jobs. I've been working as a legal assistant since 1999, and been with 4 different law firms. During this time, I've had a red/black mohawk (which I was also allowed to wear "up" at work), dread extensions, strangely colored hair, lip and septum piercings, and I have a LOT of tattoos.

I do tone down my dress and makeup while I'm at work (i.e. no fishnets, miniskirts, bright red eyeshadow, etc), but I do still wear all black, heavy eyeliner, platform boots and creepers, and my usual skull/bats/spider/gaudy jewelry and piercings.

I have never, not even once, had anyone have a problem with it...only an occasional person telling me I remind them of Abby on NCIS, lol!

You see people? A LEGAL assistant. You can't get much more "tightassed" than that. She as well as myself and a few others are a prime example that finally, the way people look are becoming less and less an issue, which is a great thing.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #114
chelseagirl

Quote:
You see people? A LEGAL assistant. You can't get much more "tightassed" than that. She as well as myself and a few others are a prime example that finally, the way people look are becoming less and less an issue, which is a great thing.

lol! My ass is pretty tight, ha!

Also, my husband is self employed doing a dog walking/pet care company. He has a lot of tattoos and used to have a red mohawk (until he went bald). He makes a triple figure salary doing that...and his work days are only between 4 and 6 hours long.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:02 PM   #115
KontanKarite

That's awesome.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #116
blackwater1110

Wormboy...you're right, for retail positions, it behooves the employer to have employees that fit the image the customer expects. Thus, retail would not be an option, since even with my hair pulled back, it would be pretty hard to get away with a job at a retail chain. But retail is just one option..there's plenty of job out there where that won't matter so much.

Kontan, you're gorgeous. Stop lying to yourself. That said, don't alt model, unless it gets your rocks off.

Thanks for the advice, guys; it seems like the overall message here is "life's a bitch, but if you're persistent/smart enough, you might luck out," which seems about how the world ought to work.
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #117
KontanKarite

Well, it's not like I model for Blueblood or anything. If I were going to do something like that, I may as well model for Playgirl or something. Ya know?

I just do it because it's fun.

I've tried doing the real modeling thing, but the two agencies that came to me were bullshit scammers. Lots of smoke up the old ass and such. They were asking for several hundred dollars for "promotion and photography" fees.

Fuck that.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:00 PM   #118
Toy Killer

I'm in the military, and my heart sank when I had the various articles of the UCMJ (Universal Code of Military Justice) explained to me, as they have a law that specifically states that we cannot wear 'fadish' clothing. Through my A-school, I couldn't wear my personalized clothing, but once I got to the fleet, they could care less, unless I was wearing something that supported legalizing marijauna, voiced my opinion on the presidential election (or the president in general) or had anything obscene on it.
Toy Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #119
chelseagirl

Quote:
Well, it's not like I model for Blueblood or anything.
I have a close friend who models occasionally for Blueblood...they don't pay much, trust me.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #120
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Killer
I'm in the military, and my heart sank when I had the various articles of the UCMJ (Universal Code of Military Justice) explained to me, as they have a law that specifically states that we cannot wear 'fadish' clothing. Through my A-school, I couldn't wear my personalized clothing, but once I got to the fleet, they could care less, unless I was wearing something that supported legalizing marijauna, voiced my opinion on the presidential election (or the president in general) or had anything obscene on it.

I never could get over any of that. May your time in the fleet be quick, interesting, and at least a happy experience.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #121
Barfing_Rat

Oh man I am crying as I read people respond on model industry.

Just like as movies, there's many different level of models. Just anybody can come and be part of movie for almost free or even free. It's the same thing with model. Hell there's even a alt. actor/actress for movies such as dwarves, people with background in something hard to come by, special ability, etc... They does make a very decent moneys off it. But what is the chance of succeeding? Not very good, but it isn't impossible. It's the same way with modeling.

I use to live with a model. She have modeled a couple time but majority vast of time she's out of job and cannot get any work. But when she does model, she got paid alright, about a couple hundred dollars. But she was dumb one. So she's basically just a couple time thing, not a professional model.

On other hand I know a man who use to be a pretty successful model. He was smart about it, he use that experience to his advantage and become a photographer. Now he's trying to set up a show of his own. That's how smart model manage to become successful. They know their career won't last long, but they take advantage of it to use it to move onto something else. Here's a brief article on him: http://www.redcarpetmonday.com/user_...php?userid=953

So you see, anyone can be a model but only those who play it smart and have very good working ethnic, and able to come up with long term plan are the one who is well to do.

As for modelmayhem... Majority of them are just a wannabe and doesn't know what it actually take to be a models. They think they just have to look beautiful and breeze through everything in a hour or two and get paid million of dollars and go home. They didn't realize all stresses and competition behind a such careers. So Moelmayhem is a terrible example of model.

Yes it's true not all models get paid well, but they does make moneys in more than one way such as endorsement, sponsors, special guest, etc... So if a model make a couple hundred of dollars per job but they're able to keep jobs lined up and everything, know their way around the industry, know the photographers, etc... Then they'll do better than majority of average mr/ms Jones. So that is why model industry have a extremely high drop out rate because people assume it's a easy career to get in but once they realize what it take, they just drop out.

Here's a two of the most successful alt. models:

Scar13- http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendid=8132124

Kellie Laplegua-
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...4-7a5ef2f356cd

Masuimi Max-
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...riendid=316517

Here's a photographer who make it in alt. industry:

Dolph-
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...riendid=202892

Tim Sinn-
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendid=7455000

Now you see... yes it is possible to succeed in alt. model industry if you know what you're doing and have what it take. However like as major models who want to try out for high fashion or whatever, many in alt. model failed as well.

As for scamming... Well... That's what happen if you don't really know your way around the industry.
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #122
KontanKarite

Barfing_Rat is right. Another way of going at it, is to get into modeling and as soon as you can, take a Soap Opera gig. Sure, you'll be acting and busting your ass for about a year solid, but you'll make awesome bank.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:29 AM   #123
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Alt models=scene cliche
You also forgot to mention that 99.8% of them are white enough to bleed Liquid Paper.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:21 AM   #124
Cicero

My sister wanted to be a model when she was younger. Then she somehow ended up starting a modeling agency instead and is on her way to being a millionaire by the age of 23. It's a lucrative business for those with half a brain who can handle a lot of stress.

Alt modeling though? Work is extremely scarce, and 99% of those alt models look like a complete joke. Barely any would ever make a cent out of it. I only managed to make money off my gothiness from being the 'token goth' in various ads and music videos. Otherwise my modelling jobs just relied on the fact that black hair and pale skin were favoured features in the Malaysian modeling business.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #125
Opteron_Man

How about a grave digger? If someone else allready suggested it. Sorry.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote