Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: What's your opinion on ear pointing? >:[
Yay! 7 33.33%
Nay... 8 38.10%
I'm On the Fence. 1 4.76%
Go away... 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
The Passage

Pointing your Ears..

The title of the thread is very self explanatory.

Would you point your ears or have you pointed them already?

Like, dislikes, flames, extinguishes, name calling, and downright debauchery thoughts and opinions: jot them all down below, thanks. Yay/Nay Poll included.

Disclaimer: Old thread is old and it's unfortunately full of bullshit. This thread isn't an inquiry as to whether or not they exist, it's simply regarding the question above.
The Passage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Jonathan

Well I learned about a horrifying new thing today, so thanks.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
The Passage

Always!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
Grausamkeit

It looks cute on some people. Not my kind of body mod, though.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Anarchy45

I have mine pointed, they're totally fucking awesome and I love them =)

Only one person has noticed them and said something to me, in the 7 months since I had them done - a vet assistant with a bunch of piercings who asked if they were real :-)

Nobody seems to have noticed them in my office.

I kept a blog of my experience: http://anarchy-ears.tumblr.com

Think long and hard about it... it is a lot more permanent than a tattoo! You better be damn sure you want pointy ears for the rest of your life!

For me, I was 95% sure I wanted them done - for aesthetics and for "cuteness" :-) The other 5% was covered by regret - I would always regret NOT getting them done :-) I thought about it for over a year, and spent a lot of that time researching methods, 'artists', styles and healing. There are a few very-well-known body mod artists who do this - GO TO THEM! More and more people are trying to offer this service, but their less-than-stellar results speak for themselves. This is for life! Spend the damn money and do it right the first time. Mine were $400 for the two.

I haven't had a single reservation! Totally fucking awesome :-D
My artist used lidocaine so I didn't feel anything during the procedure, and healing basically felt like not wearing a hat in winter, for a week. Not nearly as painful as people say it is.

Think long and hard about it, but if it is what you really want, go for it!
Anarchy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Minyaliel

I'm on the fence on this one. I had no idea what this was until I googled it just now, and some of the pictures are really creepy. On the other hand, well, if that's what you want to do, I'm not going to be a naysayer. I don't think I'd want to do it to myself, however. I think I'd rather just continue getting tattoos.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
The Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy45 View Post

Only one person has noticed them and said something to me, in the 7 months since I had them done - a vet assistant with a bunch of piercings who asked if they were real :-)

Think long and hard about it... it is a lot more permanent than a tattoo! You better be damn sure you want pointy ears for the rest of your life!

For me, I was 95% sure I wanted them done - for aesthetics and for "cuteness" :-) The other 5% was covered by regret - I would always regret NOT getting them done :-) I thought about it for over a year, and spent a lot of that time researching methods, 'artists', styles and healing. There are a few very-well-known body mod artists who do this - GO TO THEM! More and more people are trying to offer this service, but their less-than-stellar results speak for themselves. This is for life! Spend the damn money and do it right the first time. Mine were $400 for the two.

My artist used lidocaine so I didn't feel anything during the procedure, and healing basically felt like not wearing a hat in winter, for a week. Not nearly as painful as people say it is.

OMG! That is so fucking cool!! I've actually wanted elfin ears since I was a little kid but I had no idea that people actually get their ears surgically pointed back then. When I found out about it, I've been doing research ever since -- but, you know, it's difficult to do when such a small percentage of people get it done. I have met no one here, in San Francisco of all places, who have their ears pointed. I'm probably more likely to find people with pointed ears due to a birth defect! I find a few snippets of experiences here and there but you mostly have news sites all over google basically telling people how stupid it is to want to look like a vulcan, like that's the only reason people get it done. -rolls eyes-

Anyway. So yes... I've wanted it for quite a while! It's not really up to debate in my mind whether or not I actually want it, my decision has already been made. As to why I haven't done it already? Multiple reasons. One, I REALLY don't want the body mod artist to fuck up. That is really scary for me. I don't want the artist to like mess up with an angle and then have my ears heal in a weird position... essentially creating fucking orc ears instead of elf ears lol. OR, worst of all, have it become infected!! I also don't want to like lay on my ear while I'm sleeping and fuck up up the healing process. I thought I might actually have to learn how to sleep on my back. Not looking forward to that! If I don't have to, great!

The pain! I heard that it REALLY hurts... which, I mean, I would put myself through that pain if it meant that I get to live the rest of my life with elf ears hehe. It's still pain, though, and pain really sucks unless you're a masochist. HOWEVER, I've read two experiences of people getting it (including you) and both mentioned little pain due to some kind of anesthetic cream that was put onto the ear prior to cutting it up.

The other thing is that I'm afraid of getting it before my mtf transitional surgeries because I'm afraid of doctors not taking me seriously when I go for, say, sexual reassignment surgery. It's already difficult enough to get qualified for it? But what would they say when I have elf ears? Simply put, being able to change my gender to FEMALE on my birth certificate, as well as enjoying sex as a woman WITH a vagina, is more important to me than being an elf. :P

Which body mod artist did you see? I was looking into Steve Haworth, who apparently does a lot of that, but I don't even know if he's still doing that. It's just that he's closer to me than having to go to the Netherlands or some shit to get it done.

Ok, cool. I think I've covered every worry, reservation, or question I have about getting it done. Despite all, I'll probably get it done eventually anyway.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
The Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel View Post
I'm on the fence on this one. I had no idea what this was until I googled it just now, and some of the pictures are really creepy. On the other hand, well, if that's what you want to do, I'm not going to be a naysayer. I don't think I'd want to do it to myself, however. I think I'd rather just continue getting tattoos.
I guess it depends on how badly one wants to be an elf... or vulcan, or goblin if they have a fake troll nose like Mortiis. I think some people even get it so they can be like kitties, I guess. Or some other mammalian creature with pointy ears. http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Katzen

Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
Valhalla

I love this. I would totally get it done if I was rich.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
Saya

I came across a DIY tutorial when I was looking only how to DIY vulcan ears (like how to make fake ears! Not perform surgery on myself). I didn't eat the rest of the day.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
Murder.Of.Crows

lol, yeah, that would gross me out too. I have always liked the idea of elf ears though, of course I would never do it permanently. Unfortunately, the only elf ears I've seen are closer to the Vulcan style of ear point, rather than a Hylian style.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
The Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
lol, yeah, that would gross me out too. I have always liked the idea of elf ears though, of course I would never do it permanently. Unfortunately, the only elf ears I've seen are closer to the Vulcan style of ear point, rather than a Hylian style.
Yeah, I know. Part of my whole pointy ear fascination started with Legend of Zelda. I <3ed Ocarina of Time. But then Windwaker came out, I got more into Lord of the Rings... and Star Trek... the small vulcan ear points really grew on me.

You could always wear the longer ears around Halloween, I suppose. Or for whatever other event you might use them for.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:33 AM   #13
Minyaliel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Passage View Post
I guess it depends on how badly one wants to be an elf... or vulcan, or goblin if they have a fake troll nose like Mortiis. I think some people even get it so they can be like kitties, I guess. Or some other mammalian creature with pointy ears. http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Katzen

It does, doesn't it? I used to be a Tolkien fanatic in my teens (I've read LotR more than fifty times), so I can understand the wish to be an elf (although I, at this stage am perfectly happy being who I am, and having the ears I was born with). This cat thing was a bit far out for me, though. I just get some really bad furry vibes, but then again, I do not know anything about this lady, and thus shouldn't judge her. I've seen some crazy body modifications in my time, and some were even more extreme than pointing your ears, and, well. If it makes you happy, whatever, but I can't understand the attraction of doing so. I've wanted a corset piercing down my arms and back for the longest time - I guess this would count as an extreme modification - but I'd never do it, just because of the risks involved (tearing out a piercing is not very pleasant, I know from experience).
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #14
blackdaisy

I personally never did it and cannot imagine it on myself. Yet, I think it looks really cool on many people. Maybe I'll overcome it at some point and do it too. Don't know.
blackdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
Victoria Lovecraft

Location: Am I in the library? No? Perhaps the pantry? No. Damn.Hm... Check the laboratory. Yup, found me.
The only downside I could think of is everyone asking if you're a a fan of Star Trek rather than a fan of fairies/elves/pixies/whatever adorable, pointy-eared mythical creature you're shooting for. That and the obvious floods of people asking, "Are those REAL?".

Otherwise I think they look pretty darn adorable in most pictures I've seen.
Victoria Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #16
cannibalnuns

Do what you wish with your ears.
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #17
satanicbitch

Noooooooo! please don't fuck around with your ears! lol...
satanicbitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
AshleyO

I say go for it. Knock yourself out.

What Valhalla said is really the only ambivalence I have about body mods.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #19
huzhi

Well I learned about a horrifying new thing today, so thanks.
Replica Handbags For Sale
huzhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #20
huzhi

The title of the thread is very self explanatory.
<a href="http://www.louisvuittonen.com/"><strong>www.louisvuittonen.com</strong></a>
huzhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #21
infoleather

Unfortunately, I see the only elf ears ear point, not a Hylian the style is more close to the style of the Vulcan.
infoleather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #22
Thorn-v

I would not have that done to myself. I don't really see the interest, but I've never been into the whole elf thing.
Thorn-v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #23
Lady Ruthven

I definitely like the idea. My friend had hers done last year and they look brilliant. But she is very petite and elfin anyway, I'm not sure it would suit me as well. And elves aren't that much my thing. Perhaps I should complete my vampire look and get tooth implants instead. Though at the moment I'm busy trying to persuade my mum to let me get a second piercing in my ears - so some way to go to real body mods!
Lady Ruthven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:46 PM   #24
Julialala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy45 View Post

Pleaasse teell me ! Who diid yours ?? And wherre?? I asked you on your Tumblr as weell, thank you !! I must know I want mine done so bad but I'm lost on wherre to go and it sounds like you got a great deal♡♡
Julialala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:19 PM   #25
Molster

Not my thing but each to their own...
Molster is offline   Reply With Quote