Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 02-19-2006, 02:49 PM   #551
Beowulf

Smile

I`am reading Stephen King`s `Christine` for the second time, also reading `Forest of the Vampire` which is a book on east european folklore, which is quite interesting.

Manimal, `Perl for systems administrators`, it does`nt sound like a very exiting book.

Is it written by the same people who brought you `Watching Paint Dry for Systems Administrators`.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:44 PM   #552
Magpie_Tendencies

I have hated all the books I've read by Stephen King. I just don't like what he writes though I can't quite put my finger on why.

Right now I'm reading "Hades' Daughter" by Sara Douglass. I've just started and it's quite good so far.
Magpie_Tendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:49 AM   #553
Manimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf
I`am reading Stephen King`s `Christine` for the second time, also reading `Forest of the Vampire` which is a book on east european folklore, which is quite interesting.

Manimal, `Perl for systems administrators`, it does`nt sound like a very exiting book.

Is it written by the same people who brought you `Watching Paint Dry for Systems Administrators`.
True the plot is lacking, but it does help me pay the bills

Up next is "VMWare ESX Advanced Design". Can you just feel the excitement? Whooooey!
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:03 AM   #554
Blushing Heliophobe

I just read Belly Laughs by Jenny McArthy. It was really funny - she isn't shy about anything, anything at all. I like it a lot more than I thought I would.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:08 AM   #555
Jacks Girl

I've been slowly making my way through 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman, but I've had to stop reading it for a while so that I can read the thousands of books that are being thrown at me by lecturers. What I've read of 'American Gods' so far is very good (no suprise there as its Mr. Gaiman). Shall fill you all in more when i finish it.
Jacks Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:33 AM   #556
OCD Insomnia

Right now I'm reading "Vampire Kisses" wich is very addicting.
OCD Insomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:05 AM   #557
Saya

I'm reading The Gnole by Alan Aldridge, it was my favourite book for a long time but I forgot about it, I found it when I went home for the weekend and was going through books I don't want anymore. I think the next pet I get I'm naming it Fungle ^_^
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #558
Metatron

A book of poems by William Blake.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:23 PM   #559
Pathogen.

Profane Existence #49.
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 08:24 AM   #560
anchyyy

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown.
anchyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:01 PM   #561
She_Is_My_Sin

The Babysitter Triology by R.L.Stine. I read it when I was about 9 & it always got me worrying if someone was secretly after me...
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 04:11 PM   #562
Pathogen.

"Fire To The Powder Keg", again. It was that good of a book to me.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:50 PM   #563
winged_dreams

Eisenhorn by Dan Abnett. It's a Warhammer 40k novel. I don't play the game but I love the setting. Lots of races constantly at war. An emperor that to stay alive thousands of people must be sacrificed everyday. It's pretty insane. Plus the guy on the front of the book looks all tough and "GRRR! I'm going to hurt you!" I think my sickness is making me silly. >_<

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:35 PM   #564
Lackluster_Heavens

Ender's Game by Orison Scott Card. I've read it before...many many times. But it will always remain as my favorite book. Such a wonderful novel.
Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.
Lackluster_Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:01 AM   #565
Nemesion

The Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. This has been one of my favourite books for a very long time. I think I first read it when I was 7 or so, I'm not entirely sure.
Nemesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:15 AM   #566
pitseleh

I'm reading Havana by Stephen Hunter.

It's about a man who's recruited by a shady branch of the US government to kill the young Fidel Castro, another man who's going to woo him, Commie-style, and possibly some more men doing something else... I don't know, I'm only three chapters in so far. But it looks promising! I was in the mood for something hard-boiled, and this fits the bill.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:18 PM   #567
Magpie_Tendencies

I've just started reading "Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglass Adams... again. This is about the fourth time I've read it and I still think that it's funny.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:20 AM   #568
Nemesion

Have you read any of the other books in that series? They're fucking hilarious.
Nemesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:19 PM   #569
Pathogen.

"From Mission To Microchip" by Fred Glass. Because I have to. It's for 1 of my Labour Studies classes & the author is my teacher.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:34 PM   #570
Godslayer Jillian

Elegy for a Lost Star, by Elizabeth Haydon. I think it's better than lord of the rings

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:59 AM   #571
Blushing Heliophobe

I just finished The Gilded Cage: A Story of Esther, by Rebecca Kohn. It was so good, I read it in one sitting.

The Book of Esther in the Old Testament is one of my favorite, because it's about a woman (yes a woman) who uses her smarts, beauty, and position to save her people from genocide. But, it's not very personal. Kohn tells Esther's story and not only does she tell it in a way that makes you feel like you really know Esther, but she writes it as historically accurate as possible. One really great thing about this book is the character of the King. He has his terrible faults, but he has his good traits, too. He is very much a real human being. I like to read about characters that don't fit nicely into a little box and if you like that, you'll like this book. If you like historical fiction, this one is great.

Now I'm reading The Punishment of Beauty by Anne Rice. It's the second in the Beauty series. Melikes this one too. I can't wait to find out what happens at the end of the third book
Old 03-02-2006, 04:04 PM   #572
(-$|N-)

Well I am currently reading C# Core Language of the Little Black Book series by Bill Wagner. Its a computer programing book.
(-$|N-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:37 PM   #573
Magpie_Tendencies

Nemesion - Actually I have the omnibus edition. It has the first four books of the series in one book. They're ALL freaking hilarious!
Old 03-06-2006, 11:51 PM   #574
Lackluster_Heavens

Dracula Was A Woman by Raymond T McNally. A wonderful, albet expensive, little book about the Blood Countess, Elizabeth Bathory.
Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.
Lackluster_Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:11 AM   #575
Blushing Heliophobe

Is it a documentary, or a historical fiction?